Denon AH-D7000
Feb 17, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #6,061 of 7,464
long time ago in an LCD2/D7000 thread I remember being hotly debated it was generally agreed upon the LCD2 is more technically accurate but the D7000 is a more fun sound, more comfortable to wear, and better looking.  That's my thoughts as well having heard both headphones.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #6,062 of 7,464
Quote:
the HE-500's are incredible cans (i like them more than the HE-6's), but there's something special about the D7000 sound, that id never be able to let them go

Each time I think of getting into another premium can, I am reminded by that something special, no matter how much they may fetch.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #6,063 of 7,464
Got the D7000's back for the next 2 weeks on loan.  Moment they sat on my head and had music playing through them, I remembered why I sold them... TOO MUCH BASS.  Boomy, subwoofer, brain cooking bass.  If that is considered a 'fun' sound then I must not be a very fun individual.  hahha.
Every note has weight.  Quite a fatiguing headphone to listen to imo.  This is a headphone for bass heads, bar none.  Don't try sugar coating it or denying it. :)

Since selling them, I regretted the decision... I no longer have that regret and am now at peace.

That was for music, now for games, wow, love 'em.  The thump, the positioning is spot on. $1000 pair of gaming headphones is ridiculous though. Is there a similar sounding headphone that I could purchase for a fraction of the cost which has this sound sig?

Would love to hear the TH-900's and the TH-600's as well.  Time to call around the city and see who's got them in stock and take the D7000's in for a comparison.

Cheers!

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #6,064 of 7,464
You should spend more than an instant before judging them. You have to get re-acclimated to the sound signature, epspecially if you've been used to something else for so long.

They went for less than $600 for a good while, so technically not a $1000 headphone.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #6,065 of 7,464
I owned them for close to 2 years before selling them last September.  During this time I've also enjoyed listening sessions with them on a different setup.  I'm more than familiar with this headphone.  These headphones and I go way back.

I was referring to the original MSRP of these headphones which were $1200 in Canada, and my purchase price new were $1000.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #6,066 of 7,464
I'd agree with Mad Lust, I've noticed that if you haven't listened to a headphone in awhile, you need to reacclimate to the sound signature.

In my experience, while the Denons do have strong bass, I wouldn't call them a basshead headphone. When comparing the stock D7000's to the Pro 750, which is a less bassy Pro 900 (a true basshead can), the D7000's had significantly less bass quantity.

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #6,067 of 7,464
Quote:
I'd agree with Mad Lust, I've noticed that if you haven't listened to a headphone in awhile, you need to reacclimate to the sound signature.

In my experience, while the Denons do have strong bass, I wouldn't call them a basshead headphone. When comparing the stock D7000's to the Pro 750, which is a less bassy Pro 900 (a true basshead can), the D7000's had significantly less bass quantity.

You wouldn't but I would.  That's how I would classify them.  You're not going to enjoy them any less or more due to my classification of this headphone.
This headphone produces subwoofer type bass regardless of genre.  The quantity is very apparent from the moment they play music.  That is how it was designed. It achieves this perfectly.

Like I already said, I'm more than familiar with the sound of this headphone.

Taowolf, I would like to hear how you describe the sound signature of this headphone, especially the bass.  We obviously have different views, what's yours?

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #6,068 of 7,464
I wouldn't consider them overly bassy either. Or a basshead headphone.
What are you comparing them to ? What is your headphone and amp of choice ?

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #6,069 of 7,464
Subwoofer-like bass is quite an accurate term to describe the D7000's bass. It becomes obvious when compared to other more neutral, less bass-centric cans like T1 or K/Q701.

When people talk about bass quanity I just think that they mean mid-bass quantity. Some mid-fi cans have quite a lot of mid-bass but can't extend as low as the D7000 does.

I really love my D7000 but after purchasing the T1 I quickly realized its weaknesses: somewhat overpowering bass that eats into the micro details and a rather small, unimpressive 2D soundstage (still good for a closed-back pair though).

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #6,070 of 7,464
The D7000's have bass in quantity, which I am getting at. They don't have as much quality when compared to the following.  
My median headphone is the HE-500, which I would consider almost the right quantity of bass.  It could use less, but I don't loose sleep over it. The whole spectrum sounds pretty balanced. They are south of the D7000's in terms of bass quantity.
The K501's, almost being "bass anemic", are way way way south of the D7000's in quantity of bass.

Gear is listed in the sig.

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #6,071 of 7,464
set for sale on ebay in uk if interested
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denon-AH-D7000-Headphones-AHD7000-/281066596028?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item4170dfe6bc

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #6,072 of 7,464
Quote:
The D7000's have bass in quantity, which I am getting at. They don't have as much quality when compared to the following.  
My median headphone is the HE-500, which I would consider almost the right quantity of bass.  It could use less, but I don't loose sleep over it. The whole spectrum sounds pretty balanced. They are south of the D7000's in terms of bass quantity.
The K501's, almost being "bass anemic", are way way way south of the D7000's in quantity of bass.

Gear is listed in the sig.

thinking of getting HE-500s and selling the D7000s. hows the sub-bass on the HE-500s? does it have a nice slow decay like the D7000s, or is it really tight and accurate? i like a little looseness in the bass, for that fun factor. of course i know the HE-500 will have less bass than the D7000s,

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #6,073 of 7,464
Dubstep Girl, the D7000's do sub-bass like no other headphone I've heard.  That sub-woofer style of bass is a trademark of their sound signature and the closed design helps in that respect.  The HE-500's bass is more textured, with good detail. It punches hard and hits low but doesn't roll like the D7000's and never feels loose or wooly.  Its bass you can really follow and groove to.
If I may use an analogy, the D7000's are like a 12 inch ported sub-box, the HE-500's are a sealed, 10" box with a pair of 8's along side it.

If there are tracks you'd like me to listen to, let me know and I'll give them a spin.

edit: I do want to mention that if I want a more wooly, looser and boomy type bass on the HE-500's, I'll listen to them on the ROC SA which adds that bottom end bloom, while the Auditor controls the bass with scalpel like precision and tightness (my preferred method).  Its still no D7000's, but does go to show that HE-500's sound sig can be manipulated via the amp.

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #6,074 of 7,464
Dubstep Girl, the D7000's do sub-bass like no other headphone I've heard.  That sub-woofer style of bass is a trademark of their sound signature and the closed design helps in that respect.  The HE-500's bass is more textured, with good detail. It punches hard and hits low but doesn't roll like the D7000's and never feels loose or wooly.  Its bass you can really follow and groove to.
If I may use an analogy, the D7000's are like a 12 inch ported sub-box, the HE-500's are a sealed, 10" box with a pair of 8's along side it.

If there are tracks you'd like me to listen to, let me know and I'll give them a spin.

edit: I do want to mention that if I want a more wooly, looser and boomy type bass on the HE-500's, I'll listen to them on the ROC SA which adds that bottom end bloom, while the Auditor controls the bass with scalpel like precision and tightness (my preferred method).  Its still no D7000's, but does go to show that HE-500's sound sig can be manipulated via the amp.

i don't really need the massive bass quantity of the d7000, but i want a headphone that has that similar sub-woofer style of bass. the LCD-2 don't do it right since its too tight and controlled.  slightly more loose/bloomy bass would be just perfect for me! (The Beyerdynamic T1 do this very well, if the bass was slightly more, just a bit, it would be perfect for anything!) 

can the HE-500 do drum and bass decent?

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #6,075 of 7,464
Quote:

Taowolf, I would like to hear how you describe the sound signature of this headphone, especially the bass.  We obviously have different views, what's yours?

I'd call it a slight "U" headphone with good extension. The Lawton mod has made the U less pronounced, but made it perform much better. The M-Stage amp with the gain at 10 made it even less of a U (and kinda boring, so I set the gain to 18, which brings it to a slightly stronger U sound than 10).

I have a BMF DBV#3, which is supposed to measure pretty much perfectly linear, and I wouldn't call the difference in bass quantity that large (especially when comparing the D7000's to a proper basshead headphone), but I would say the difference in extension is very apparent, the Denons extend much lower than the DBV#3's, and I've done at least a few T50RP mods that ended up making them much more bassy than the D7000's.

However, remember that these are with the full original MarkL mod, so I am technically hearing a different headphone than you and can't really speak in detail about the stock D7000's. All I can say is that when moving from a basshead headphone to the stock D7000, there was a significant reduction in bass quantity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back