Denon AH-D600 right for me? (Open to other last minute recommendations, $300)
Apr 28, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #17 of 22
Any comment on the soundstage and weight? Heard they're pretty heavy.

They have quite an airy open soundstage to my ears. I would say it's a good soundstage.

They are good headphones if you can deal with the brightness.

They are very comfortable too.

They don't have any sort of tinnyness lile someone has described.

Apr 28, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #18 of 22
  Any comment on the soundstage and weight? Heard they're pretty heavy.

They are heavy, but very comfortable. The weight is only an issue if you plan to use them while walking really. That won't work well.

Soundstage is great for a closed headphone.

I love the sound! I prefer my T1s, but the Denons are very, very nice and a lot of fun. I would not part with them. They are not for those who love classical music I suspect, but for rock, progrock, bass heavy stuff, movies and TV they absolutely rock.

One caveat: There is some suspicion that there are "bad pairs" out there due to sloppy quality control. Make sure you can return them if they sound crappy (imprecise, washed-out bass). But then again. you should also reserve the right to return for anything you buy in this area :D

Apr 28, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #19 of 22

They are heavy, but very comfortable. The weight is only an issue if you plan to use them while walking really. That won't work well.

Soundstage is great for a closed headphone.

I love the sound! I prefer my T1s, but the Denons are very, very nice and a lot of fun. I would not part with them. They are not for those who love classical music I suspect, but for rock, progrock, bass heavy stuff, movies and TV they absolutely rock.

One caveat: There is some suspicion that there are "bad pairs" out there due to sloppy quality control. Make sure you can return them if they sound crappy (imprecise, washed-out bass). But then again. you should also reserve the right to return for anything you buy in this area :D

Agree with dduck. They are heavy, but I still found them comfortable. As for sound, they are a fun headphone. The bass is a little emphasized making it sound a little dark to me but I like that for Hard Rock music, yet it still retains detail in the mids and treble. Soundstage is very good for a closed back. Overall, a very good closed back headphone especially for the price that these can be purchased at now.

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #20 of 22
May 1, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #21 of 22
on watching movies/tv shows and listerning to EDM

Well, there are many great headphones out there, but for a closed headphone this is very very good for the above. The soundstage is quite open for a closed headphone, it is supremely comfortable, comes with a 3meter cable (as well as another shorter cable for portable), that can easily reach across the room to an A/V setup. Listening to the D600 is somewhat like listening to a portable home theatre for your head, more so than listening to a 2-channel audiophile rig. Also, these headphones will perform well from most sources. I did notice improvements (mostly bass and coherency) moving up from the iPhone 4S built-in audio to using an inexpensive outboard DAC (Native Instruments Audio 2). Which is to be expected, as the built-in audio out from idevices are designed with efficiency in mind. Still enjoyable though. 

For electronic music, I can tell you these are quite good. They don't have the punch or slam as say something like a Sennheiser HD-25, but they have great low-end extension. For really detailed electronic music with a lot of textural elements I may prefer my in-ear Sony MDR-EX600s. The D600 have almost a speaker-like performance and presentation. Its a 'party-in-your-head' type of sound. There are enough overall refinements from the driver to put this above most consumer headphones but probably not in the league of higher-end phones.

Most telling, is that some owners of previous Denon lines (D2000,D5000,etc) really like the D600, though remark that it is better / worse in some respects. 

$300 might be a bit high, I think you could get these for less if you hunt around or get one used for a great deal. 

I've also been using mine for Djing purposes (while my HD25 awaits repair) in a small club environment and they have performed well. I wouldn't say they are rugged, but handled with care and transported in their case they've held up over months of such use without any scratches or incident (also the removable cable has worked out well in this respect, as if it gets snagged it has give). 

May 1, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #22 of 22
Right^

I think opinions are also based on how
Much people paid. There are some who've paid $200 and it's closed to unrivaled at that price range. I paid $240 for mine and it's still a great deal.

They're extremely good for bass extension and have literally no roll off. Very wide soundstage and very comfortable. They're pretty large and the clamping force isn't much, so no running around with them.

Denon is in red

From the m50s it won't be a shock since they have similar signatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back