Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Jan 4, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #662 of 815
Agreed...hard not to be impressed with them given their sound and the bonus that Denon.com put them on sale for $59.99 a little over a year ago. :wink:

Definitely enjoyed them over the past year...and I'd order them at $99.99 if I didn't already have a pair!

The 2020 Holiday deals at Denon.com were incredible...also picked up my 5200's for $209.99. :beerchug:

Jan 4, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #663 of 815
Agreed...hard not to be impressed with them given their sound and the bonus that Denon.com put them on sale for $59.99 a little over a year ago. :wink:

Definitely enjoyed them over the past year...and I'd order them at $99.99 if I didn't already have a pair!

The 2020 Holiday deals at Denon.com were incredible...also picked up my 5200's for $209.99. :beerchug:
YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!!! I had no idea they could be had that cheap!

Jan 4, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #664 of 815

I mean, I guess that now looking at their site, they run a killer holiday deal in general...!!

Jan 4, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #665 of 815
Honestly thought the 5200 deal was a mistake and might be cancelled...but they honored that price.

1641326926005.png

Jan 4, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #669 of 815
If I got that deal I would probably never sell the headphone. Really doubt anything competes at that price point. Granted my listening experiences are limited.
Yeah...I don't plan on selling them.

Have typically liked Denon over the years and lately been lucky on my purchases of their current lineup; recently got the 7200's from Amazon.de (posted on the Europe Deals Thread) for $553.05 including shipping from Germany.

Am keeping my eyes/ears open for a great deal on the 9200's but think this may be pretty unlikely. I'm a patient bargain hunter but am starting to lean toward spending the $1599 and finding an authorized dealer that doesn't charge sales tax in my state...at least will save ~120 bucks. :thinking:

Jan 4, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #670 of 815
Yeah...I don't plan on selling them.

Have typically liked Denon over the years and lately been lucky on my purchases of their current lineup; recently got the 7200's from Amazon.de (posted on the Europe Deals Thread) for $553.05 including shipping from Germany.

Am keeping my eyes/ears open for a great deal on the 9200's but think this may be pretty unlikely. I'm a patient bargain hunter but am starting to lean toward spending the $1599 and finding an authorized dealer that doesn't charge sales tax in my state...at least will save ~120 bucks. :thinking:
There are two 9200s in the classifieds, one for 1000 € and the other for 850 pounds.

Jan 5, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #671 of 815
If you listen to ZMF, you will sell all Denons (except for the d2000 - to the display case as a souvenir :)) and change your team. Regarding the TH610, I wish I had bought them instead of the D5200. Black Friday price and my attachment to Denon tempted me to buy the 5200. They were supposed to replace the D2000, which are starting to fail. Sometimes the sound in the right earpiece disappears, but it has passed its course. I am not disappointed, 5200 is a very good, pleasant, addictive headphones, but .... it did not steal my heart :frowning2:
I still have the Denon D7100 (I don't know why I bought them?)
TH610 would probably be a better purchase?
Everyone is different... I much prefer modded Fostex TH-X00 PH and Denon AH-D5200 to the ZMFs I've heard. The Fostex / Denon biodyna drivers have a fuller, more solid & pleasant sound to me along with more perceptable and visceral subbass presence.

Jan 5, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #672 of 815
^I’m the same way. I’d take a Denon over any closed ZMF out there. They’re also way more comfortable.
The ZMFs do look the part though (which is why they’re so successful methinks).

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #673 of 815
If you listen to ZMF, you will sell all Denons (except for the d2000 - to the display case as a souvenir :)) and change your team. Regarding the TH610, I wish I had bought them instead of the D5200. Black Friday price and my attachment to Denon tempted me to buy the 5200. They were supposed to replace the D2000, which are starting to fail. Sometimes the sound in the right earpiece disappears, but it has passed its course. I am not disappointed, 5200 is a very good, pleasant, addictive headphones, but .... it did not steal my heart :frowning2:
I still have the Denon D7100 (I don't know why I bought them?)
TH610 would probably be a better purchase?
LOL damn now I might have to try TH610...... but also want to try ZMF too...... too many headphones on the list now......

And YES I remember the Black Friday deals for D5200. I wanted to buy one but it was USA only and does not ship outside.

I was so sad at the time but luckily I found someone selling one in Canada for $360 CAD (about $285 USD) at a later time and it's still a very good price haha. Though considering the price it make sense that we'd pick D5200 over TH610 LOL.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/a5rk02/warmth_to_combat_this_cold/

But this post always gets my curiosity since it sounds like TH610 is better according to this guy. But the weird thing is most other review says TH610 sounds too neutral / boring, so I don't know...
Not going to lie, I have been MOST impressed by the D1200 for a very low priced option...

https://www.denon.com/en-us/product/over-ear-headphones/ah-d1200
Damnnnnnn everywhere I checked the price is wayyyyyy higher, that's such a good deal!
I do agree with the above, the D5200 was one of my faves of all time, major major filling warm bass, but I didnt find it had the clarity of a lot of competitors today...
I'll be honest, when I first got it I thought it was fuzzy / bloated but now I don't notice it anymore. Not too sure if it's burn in with the driver or my brain just got used to it LOL.

But yes I do really enjoy the warm bass!

Jan 5, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #674 of 815
The right DAC and tubes with EQ and the Yaxi Alcantara TH610 pads are what really make the AH-D5200 stand out to me and why I got rid of the Fostex TH-X00 PH... prefer the bit more expansive and layered sound with excellent clarity and improved mids from modded AH-D5200 on such setup over modded Fostex. For me that's the RME ADI-2 DAC -> Schit Loki -> Garage 1217 Project Ember II with Sovtek 6H30P-EB or Reflector 6H23P-EB tube and low end EQ boost. Absolute clarity & speed isn't everything to me in a headphone, had a nice e-stat setup which was very resolving, bright, and punchy with extremely good finese and some of the best low end presentation I've heard (was powered with nice, warm, VERY good 2 channel stereo amp... put any planar I've heard to shame in the low end presentation.) Was forced to sell because of debt, but even though really enjoyed how the estat system & modded STAX SR-L300 Limited presented music (was an absolute STAX SR-L700 clone... could not tell them apart unless you directly compared them at same time... and differences were extremely minute), I honestly always preferred the TH-X00 PH more for actually just relaxing and listening to music.

For me it's more about the unique presentation a headphone brings to the music. I'm not looking for a 100% faithful and technical representation of the music - I'm wanting a headphone to give me a more surreal and euphonic experience of the music which is both fun/soulful and technically competent enough to enjoy yet with a distinct presentation all its own. No headphones have done this more for me than modded Fostex/Denon biodynas and modded Porta Pros. You mod Porta Pros and get them on a clean tube with high instrument separation & 3D spacial presentation and man do they hit me in the feels for vocals unlike any biodyna. Modded Porta Pro is all about the extremely euphonic vocals while the AH-D5200 is the extremely well rounded all around presentation headphone and very tastey subbass with no obvious bloatedness.

From Gawr Gura covers, to Snarky Puppy, to Senri Kawaguchi compositions, to the Holst planet suite... the AH-D5200 gives an excellent presentation of all for me.

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #675 of 815
Everyone is different... I much prefer modded Fostex TH-X00 PH and Denon AH-D5200 to the ZMFs I've heard. The Fostex / Denon biodyna drivers have a fuller, more solid & pleasant sound to me along with more perceptable and visceral subbass presence.
It completely differs from my feelings. I do not understand this. Bass, especially in the Eikon, "knocks off your feet". It cannot even be compared with the d5200. This is a completely different level. Maybe this is due to a different amplifier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back