Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Dec 21, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #421 of 815
Needs to be thin and rigid... those orings are fairly thick and wont hold their shape or work with the stock mounting rings. Just get two plastic lids from quart yogurt/cottage cheese containers or equivalent and trace and cut 84mm ID and ~100mm OD to use wth stock ring mounts.

I have an extra pair of adapter rings I made which I don't need... slightly smaller OD at 98mm but perfectly works for the Yaxi or other TH-X sized pads.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #422 of 815
Needs to be thin and rigid... those orings are fairly thick and wont hold their shape or work with the stock mounting rings. Just get two plastic lids from quart yogurt/cottage cheese containers or equivalent and trace and cut 84mm ID and ~100mm OD to use wth stock ring mounts.

I have an extra pair of adapter rings I made which I don't need... slightly smaller OD at 98mm but perfectly works for the Yaxi or other TH-X sized pads.
Thanks , but I am thinking using other methods like this 4mm flexible O shape car edge protector , small slice and insert and slide along the perimeter of stocked mounting rings 98+(4mm x2) =106mm Screenshot_20201222-153521_AliExpress.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #424 of 815
Will those even work? Two different types of attaching systems: the old Denon & Fostex system is the rotate and lock rings while the new AH-D series are press and snap rings.

You’re right. Oops. Don’t use these.

I want to sell D5200 but I dont want to sell here because market price is higher than black friday price. Probably 50% higher.

Dec 22, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #425 of 815
EDIT: Having just posted this, I'm not sure I used the quote function correctly :)

I see that in your profile picture! :beerchug:

:scream_cat:

:scream_cat: :scream_cat::trophy::trophy:

I read your post that you're using the Project Ember DIY amp, I haven't really looked that much into DIY projects...like I've heard of bottle head crack, O2 by NwAVGuy but not much else.

But what you're saying is that these headphones play well with tube amps?
(biodyna drivers) - sound more 'woody'/ bass is not loud but 'thumpy'??​

The only thing I'm slightly hesitant about at this point cause I'll probably not get into tubes for quite some years at least...

or should I start a DIY project as an excuse to learn how to solder. I kind of need to anyway for a mech keyboard project later next year... :smiling_imp: the only thing is, I'm sure it's more than just learning how to solder haha :sunglasses:

I am able to count only on EQ, pad mods, and maybe other smaller DIY mods for now.
:deadhorse: <---simply had to find a reason to use b' a' d' horse gif

All my Garage 1217 amps were the fully Jeremy built, non-kit versions... got 2 used Project Ember IIs with tubes from members on here for less than the price of a new one and went ahead and ordered the Project Polaris new directly from Jeremy after really liking the Project Embers.

The biodynas play very well with Project Embers at least. Gives separation and spacial presentation you simply can't get with SS amp along with an organic, solid/full musically smooth sound... it's on a different level. The Project Polaris is a more compressed and hard edged sound than the Project Ember, and the Polaris is one of the warmer, smoother sounding SS amps that works very well with biodynas. Tubes are magical glass bottles that make music something really special... from Mullard CV4024/6201 to Mazda 6CG7 to Reflector 6H23n-EB... you get different but all beautiful interpretations of music.

Dec 23, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #426 of 815
Yaxi Alacantara earpad and 4.4mm 16-core single crystal silver plated copper balanced headphone cable. The earpad fit ok, slightly 2-4mm larger than 98mm stocked earpad. Will apply 2-4mm extended outer ring soon.
20201223_220725.jpg

Dec 23, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #427 of 815
Hey VR Racer, you got any more of them bass tracks?

Also just got done watching episode 5 of mandalorian for the first time with these headphones on and .... that sound design of the episode. That was so good! As in the sound and the episode lol. I need more shows with movie esque sound.

Dec 23, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #429 of 815
Hey VR Racer, you got any more of them bass tracks?

Also just got done watching episode 5 of mandalorian for the first time with these headphones on and .... that sound design of the episode. That was so good! As in the sound and the episode lol. I need more shows with movie esque sound.

Like a track off this very recently released album, nothing really heavy but just like how it sounds. Need to buy album:

Soh Yoshioka:

Haywyre is always some good bass...

Love how Nigel Good does bass as well:

https://music.monstercat.com/track/disappear-feat-mango-andre-frauenstein-stefan-ludik

I also really like Lena Raine's 'Celeste' soundtracks...

One of my most favorite Vocaloid trance artists....

And last, Kikuo...with his fairly unique perspective on music...

Yeah, the Mandalorian as a whole sounds phenominal with headphones - all that detail and clean audio. Season 2, Episode 5 is a particularly good one, but they all sound great listening with Dolby Atmos headphone.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #430 of 815
Hey,

I'm a newer owner of a new D5200 and I have a question about the earpads.

1. Are most people who are switching earpads doing it because their stock pads are starting to degenerate?
  2. Or are most people trying to change the sound signature/ achieve something else?

I like --> love the sound of my D5200's but the smallest gripe I have with it is that sometimes I want to increase the volume but end up instead turning it down because the vocals/ are quite forward/ intimate.
  • Also I don't have too much run-time on them for me to feel this is a problem.
  • Also I noticed I sweat a little on the earpads when I don't with my 6xx and 4xx - though this might be because:
    • D5200 pad covering is leather
    • D5200 is closed vs Open of the other two
I am pretty sure my desire to change the pads is 'upgrade-itis' though...should I just stick with the stock pads?

Dec 29, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #432 of 815
How would you compare the D5200 to the 6xx?

I happened to have both on hand a while ago (borrowed from a friend), from a memory D5200 is more U-shaped sounding, bassier, somewhat brighter in the treble. Senns are much more midrange oriented and flatter overall. Senn sounded more natural to me where as Denons had something artificial on them. Difference in staging isn't huge despite Senn being open back. But they are quite different headphones entirely and I think it might be more about personal preference rather than which one is actually "better".

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #435 of 815
Anyone have any headphone stands that they would recommend for these cans?
There are many types of headphone stands, i prefer this type, the earpad won't stick to the stand especially leather or p-leather type.

Attachments

• 20201128_173258.jpg
    20201128_173258.jpg
    831.3 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back