Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Nov 29, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #286 of 815
Has anyone who jumped on the $209 deal had their headphones shipped out yet? Mine still says "status: completed" and as far as I know, I was one of the earlier people to place the order. A couple friends of mine who ordered later but got "status: problem" have had their orders cancelled / refunded.

• Tracking information may not be available immediately

I think maybe we just need time.
I still got "released" but not "completed".

Nov 29, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #287 of 815
Has anyone who jumped on the $209 deal had their headphones shipped out yet? Mine still says "status: completed" and as far as I know, I was one of the earlier people to place the order. A couple friends of mine who ordered later but got "status: problem" have had their orders cancelled / refunded.

I just received 'your order is ready to ship' email. And the status is changed to completed. Looks like it's gonna happen after all. After ordering them twice, wasn't certain it was gonna happen. I'm excited.

Nov 29, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #288 of 815

I ordered and received mine on 11/27/20. It is a very fun headphone. I seem to ignore any critical listening and just enjoy the music. I use both HD800S and Audio Technical AWAS as main cans. The bass is a big step up from either of those. Still waiting for burn in or brain burn but I feel these are worth the $700 asking price let alone a smoking deal of $210.00. Hopefully all of you who ordered receive yours soon and enjoy as much as I am.

Nov 29, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #289 of 815
I ordered and received mine on 11/27/20. It is a very fun headphone. I seem to ignore any critical listening and just enjoy the music. I use both HD800S and Audio Technical AWAS as main cans. The bass is a big step up from either of those. Still waiting for burn in or brain burn but I feel these are worth the $700 asking price let alone a smoking deal of $210.00. Hopefully all of you who ordered receive yours soon and enjoy as much as I am.
I really liked D9200 with more incisive sounding chain, starting from a Mac. On the dry side. I always found Mac to sound thinner compared to Windows.

I really liked the bass, and then wanted the sound to not bloom in any way, and all controlled and tight.

Edit: They sent me a shipping notice for my 5200, but tracking number isn't working yet. Maybe later the status will update and show me the progress. The link does show a tracking number. So, this just confirms my order is on the way!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #290 of 815
I really liked D9200 with more incisive sounding chain, starting from a Mac. On the dry side. I always found Mac to sound thinner compared to Windows.

I really liked the bass, and then wanted the sound to not bloom in any way, and all controlled and tight.

Edit: They sent me a shipping notice for my 5200, but tracking number isn't working yet. Maybe later the status will update and show me the progress. The link does show a tracking number. So, this just confirms my order is on the way!
It's sunday bro, they don't ship on sunday unless we pay lots of extra bucks.

Nov 30, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #291 of 815

update: my status now says "released" and I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Nov 30, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #293 of 815
How about comfort with these headphones? There are evident issues with 7200 (because of the headband, same as with the oldies 7000) and a little with 9200.

Speaking for myself obviously, I have no major issue with the headband on the 7200.

For me, it is more about the clamping force. Most of the time it’s minor, but definitely present for me. Not a dealbreaker though, as I really love these cans.

I still wouldn’t necessarily recommend them to people with big heads.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #294 of 815
Since D5200 headband is not made of genuine leather, I bought headband zipped cover to protect, it is a keeper and need to be taken care.

Dec 1, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #295 of 815
I got mine today and started A/B-ing with my upgraded D2000 (SMC mod / balanced cable + TH-600 cups instead of plastic stock).

Impressions: D5200 definitely has that Foster DNA and the bass has great extension, but it doesn't hit as hard as D2k. As an experiment, I tried out the D2k pads on the 5200 and immediately liked the bass impact more. It's my suspicion that it's because the D2k has a built-in plastic attenuation ring on its pads whereas the D5200 stock pads do not.

I had some dekoni attenuation rings that I got for free sitting in a drawer unused, so I decided to cut them down (stock 5200 pads have a smaller diameter but the opening is virtually identical) and try them on the stock pads. Immediate upgrade in bass impact to my ears. Worth trying when anyone else gets their 5200.

Overall, very pleased with these headphones for the $210 - it's a KILLER deal.

Dec 1, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #296 of 815
I got mine today and started A/B-ing with my upgraded D2000 (SMC mod / balanced cable + TH-600 cups instead of plastic stock).

Impressions: D5200 definitely has that Foster DNA and the bass has great extension, but it doesn't hit as hard as D2k. As an experiment, I tried out the D2k pads on the 5200 and immediately liked the bass impact more. It's my suspicion that it's because the D2k has a built-in plastic attenuation ring on its pads whereas the D5200 stock pads do not.

I had some dekoni attenuation rings that I got for free sitting in a drawer unused, so I decided to cut them down (stock 5200 pads have a smaller diameter but the opening is virtually identical) and try them on the stock pads. Immediate upgrade in bass impact to my ears. Worth trying when anyone else gets their 5200.

Overall, very pleased with these headphones for the $210 - it's a KILLER deal.
Roughly how much smaller would you say is the D5200 pad? I had trouble finding pads that sound the same as stock D2000 pad (stock pad is worn out). I was considering trying D5200 pad, but based from what you said it might not work.

Dec 1, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #297 of 815
@lowgain - thanks for sharing your initial impressions! I'm even more excited to receive my set.

Any guesses as to what material the Dekoni sound attenuation rings are made out of? Hard to tell from the pictures/video on their website but it looks like it could possibly be very thin (~0.031") LDPE as they appear quite flexible. Thinking I may try to make some myself rather than spend $15 on them.

Dec 1, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #298 of 815
@lowgain - thanks for sharing your initial impressions! I'm even more excited to receive my set.

Any guesses as to what material the Dekoni sound attenuation rings are made out of? Hard to tell from the pictures/video on their website but it looks like it could possibly be very thin (~0.031") LDPE as they appear quite flexible. Thinking I may try to make some myself rather than spend $15 on them.

What I find works best with the Fostex biodynas and my AH-D2000 is custom 'half' attenuators. The Dekoni rings may bring bass back to near stock levels with aftermarket pads on a TH-X00, but they also make it boomier and you get a bit less clarity and slightly reduced treble. Custom ones in a 'C' shaped design give near the same bass level, but it's cleaner and tighter and you don't negatively affect the mids and highs as well. Any thin, stiff material can be used - for my TH-X00 Purplehearts I used a blue file folder for the Jmoney V3 pads:

i-8PbnPvN.jpg

And you just slip them inside the ear opening, at the rear behind the ear:

i-kBZgNGc.jpg

Dec 1, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #299 of 815
I also ordered mine during the sale and they arrived today. I honesty have no practical use for them but when I saw the price I ordered them like some mindless zombie. First impressions were that they had a small soundstage with the stock pads. I have a Lawton-modded EMU Teak and just assumed I would Lawton-mod these, which I've since confirmed is not possible. I swapped the pads with some Dekoni perforated protein leather pads and that opened up the soundstage considerably, but I think it made the highs sharper and more fatiguing. I will try some Custom House and Brainwavz pads eventually but I am enjoying the Dekonis for now.

It's a nice 'compromise' of a headphone, imo. Good bass, not great. Good detail, not great. Good highs, not great. Good comfort, not great (clampy with a hotspot on the very top, for me). The wood cups feel plasticky, I'm going to try to polish them a little to see what that does. I don't have many closed-backs, but this was a great deal on a 'very good' set. I still absolutely prefer my Lawton-modded EMU with Lawton cups, but the price points are quite different (I paid 2.5x for those Lawtons what I paid for these on BF) and I think I'll end up using these in an office setting, if/when I ever return to an office. I feel less of a need to baby these ones. I think my favorite thing about these is not something that stands out initially - the mids are clean, not a hint of congestion and with very good separation without ever feeling clinical.

But I would love to experiment with some mods for these, and have not found many mods beyond swapping pads or adding pilot pads. Has anyone every gone into them and really modded them - a la the Lawton mods? Can you swap cups with Fostex/EMU cups? I think larger cups would do wonders for these.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #300 of 815

I'm not sure what the material is, but yes it's a very thin/flexible plastic. Making them yourself would likely be easy.

and @Hyde00 , it's roughly 9.6cm diameter for the 5200 and roughly 10.3cm for the D2000. The closest and easiest thing to D2000 pads would probably be TH-610 pads, there's a company that makes them on Amazon and they're not terribly expensive, they're pretty good too. Here's a link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back