Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Nov 27, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #271 of 815
Anybody familiar with wood acoustics? Is there any correlation with darker wood sounding different or is this just visual placebo? With the TH-X00 line, the Ebony wood was the darker sounding in the highs for the bunch, it was shown by measurements to be the more leveled one in the highs of the three. I wonder if Zebrawood would similarly be the same among the 3? The measurements do point in that direction, the response in the highs seem more leveled with the 5200, just like how the Ebony was with the Fostex.

I wonder why this thread was title, 5200 being 'little brother of the 7200?' Could it just be different kind of sound among the 3? I do notice in the build that the 5200 doesn't have the cross stitching on the headband padding.

Nov 27, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #272 of 815
Anybody familiar with wood acoustics? Is there any correlation with darker wood sounding different or is this just visual placebo? With the TH-X00 line, the Ebony wood was the darker sounding in the highs for the bunch, it was shown by measurements to be the more leveled one in the highs of the three. I wonder if Zebrawood would similarly be the same among the 3? The measurements do point in that direction, the response in the highs seem more leveled with the 5200, just like how the Ebony was with the Fostex.

I wonder why this thread was title, 5200 being 'little brother of the 7200?' Could it just be different kind of sound among the 3? I do notice in the build that the 5200 doesn't have the cross stitching on the headband padding.
edit: got your question wrong, no the color is mostly about design, there's no direct correlation.
The reason they say little brother is only because there is d7200 9200 above it which is slightly more expensive.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #273 of 815

Not really color of wood as much as its density and hardness of the wood. This us what I'm used to zebrawood looking like, and its not dark:

i-xcfhwmr.jpg

Reason I picked zebrawood for the HD58X cups is it's known as a neutral sounding wood and fairly dense and hard.

Here's a chart I based off the Lawton tone wood chart along with other tone wood resources when I was deciding on the wood to pick (wanted good hardness and density):

Type1: [euphonic - full, rich, warm] / (character - lively, lush, forward, fun)
Lacewood (density 33lb/ft3, hardness 710lbf)
Mahogany (density 37lb/ft3, hardness 900lbf)
Mango (density 42lb/ft3, hardness 1070lbf)
Redwood (density 26lb/ft3, hardness 450lbf)
Walnut (density 38lb/ft3, hardness 1010lbf)

Type 2: [euphonic - warm, mellow, natural] / (character - rhythmic, articulate, easy)
Black Cherry (density 35lb/ft3, hardness 950lbf)
Black Limba/Korina (density 35lb/ft3, hardness 670lbf)
Camphor Burl (density 33lb/ft3, hardness 950lbf)
Koa (density 38lb/ft3, hardness 1170lbf)
Maple (density 44lb/ft3, hardness 1450lbf)
Satinwood Burl (density 61lb/ft3, hardness 2620lbf)

Type 3: [neutral - natural, moderate, mild] / (character - balanced, steady, even)
African Shedua (density 51lb/ft3, hardness 1330lbf)
Padauk (density 47lb/ft3, hardness 1970lbf)
Sapele (density 42lb/ft3, hardness 1410lbf)
Sissoo (Indian) Rosewood (density 48lb/ft3, hardness 1660lbf)
Zebrawood (density 50lb/ft3, hardness 1830lbf)

Type 4: [analytical - clear, crisp, resolving] / (character - snappy, vivid, fast, fun)
African Wenge (density 54lb/ft3, hardness 1930lbf)
Bubinga (density 56lb/ft3, hardness 2410lbf)
Chechen (density 62lb/ft3, hardness 2250lbf)
Purpleheart (density 56lb/ft3, hardness 2520lbf)
Rosewood (Brazilian) (density 52lb/ft3, hardness 2790lbf)

Type 5: [analytical - dry, clean, focused] / (character - precise, articulate, reserved)
Bloodwood (density 66lb/ft3, hardness 2900lbf)
Bocote (density 53lb/ft3, hardness 2010lbf)
Bolivian Rosewood/Morado (density 54lb/ft3, hardness 1860lbf)
Cocobolo (density 69lb/ft3, hardness 2960lbf)
Ebony (density 70lb/ft3, hardness 3220lbf)
Ziricote (density 59lb/ft3, hardness 2070lbf)

Nov 27, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #275 of 815
Sigh I missed this twice.......... fail. First time I wasn't sure if I should buy it since I spent a lot of money recently so I was thinking to revisit later at night then it's out of stock already. Today I see it came back in stock and was putting baby to sleep and came back out of stock again....... Should've just dropped everything and ordered LOL. Will keep in mind next time.

Though this US only so I might need to setup a proxy service or something.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #276 of 815
Not really color of wood as much as its density and hardness of the wood. This us what I'm used to zebrawood looking like, and its not dark:

i-xcfhwmr.jpg

Reason I picked zebrawood for the HD58X cups is it's known as a neutral sounding wood and fairly dense and hard.

Here's a chart I based off the Lawton tone wood chart along with other tone wood resources when I was deciding on the wood to pick (wanted good hardness and density):

Type1: [euphonic - full, rich, warm] / (character - lively, lush, forward, fun)
Lacewood (density 33lb/ft3, hardness 710lbf)
Mahogany (density 37lb/ft3, hardness 900lbf)
Mango (density 42lb/ft3, hardness 1070lbf)
Redwood (density 26lb/ft3, hardness 450lbf)
Walnut (density 38lb/ft3, hardness 1010lbf)

Type 2: [euphonic - warm, mellow, natural] / (character - rhythmic, articulate, easy)
Black Cherry (density 35lb/ft3, hardness 950lbf)
Black Limba/Korina (density 35lb/ft3, hardness 670lbf)
Camphor Burl (density 33lb/ft3, hardness 950lbf)
Koa (density 38lb/ft3, hardness 1170lbf)
Maple (density 44lb/ft3, hardness 1450lbf)
Satinwood Burl (density 61lb/ft3, hardness 2620lbf)

Type 3: [neutral - natural, moderate, mild] / (character - balanced, steady, even)
African Shedua (density 51lb/ft3, hardness 1330lbf)
Padauk (density 47lb/ft3, hardness 1970lbf)
Sapele (density 42lb/ft3, hardness 1410lbf)
Sissoo (Indian) Rosewood (density 48lb/ft3, hardness 1660lbf)
Zebrawood (density 50lb/ft3, hardness 1830lbf)

Type 4: [analytical - clear, crisp, resolving] / (character - snappy, vivid, fast, fun)
African Wenge (density 54lb/ft3, hardness 1930lbf)
Bubinga (density 56lb/ft3, hardness 2410lbf)
Chechen (density 62lb/ft3, hardness 2250lbf)
Purpleheart (density 56lb/ft3, hardness 2520lbf)
Rosewood (Brazilian) (density 52lb/ft3, hardness 2790lbf)

Type 5: [analytical - dry, clean, focused] / (character - precise, articulate, reserved)
Bloodwood (density 66lb/ft3, hardness 2900lbf)
Bocote (density 53lb/ft3, hardness 2010lbf)
Bolivian Rosewood/Morado (density 54lb/ft3, hardness 1860lbf)
Cocobolo (density 69lb/ft3, hardness 2960lbf)
Ebony (density 70lb/ft3, hardness 3220lbf)
Ziricote (density 59lb/ft3, hardness 2070lbf)
Damn you build a wood cup for HD58X? That's hardcore but would be neat if it works out.

Zebrawood is the same as D5200's wood I believe. D7200 / TH610 both uses Walnut, D9200 is Bamboo, and TH900 is Cherry.

But would definitely agree different wood definitely sound different. So far I've sampled Teak, Rosewood, Bamboo, Mahogany, Ebony, and Purpleheart all have their own signature. Generally speaking how dense the wood is and how oily the wood is.

Nov 28, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #277 of 815
How do these do from an iPhone? Assuming it'll drive them OK seeing as they're pretty low impedance? I'll mainly listen at my PC via Schiit Heresy + Modi but it'd be nice to have the option to be a bit more mobile with these around the house. And how's sound leakage? Will I still get "the look" from the wife if I listen to death metal in the living room like I do with my HE-400i? Hoping with the D5200 being closed back it won't be as much of an issue. Sorry if these questions have already been brought up / answered here... I haven't had a chance to dig back through this entire thread yet.

Nov 28, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #278 of 815
Correct, out of the 3 new Denon headphones, the D5200 sounds most natural to me. The D7200 sounds more aggressive. The D9200 sounds too out of whack for me.
Just received my D5200 recently, I am more than happy to say I have found the sound I missed i.e. neutral like HD650 with addon lively and lovely vocals especially Jpop genres, it's the same soundstage that I have listened few years back in Japan.

Nov 28, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #280 of 815
How do these do from an iPhone? Assuming it'll drive them OK seeing as they're pretty low impedance? I'll mainly listen at my PC via Schiit Heresy + Modi but it'd be nice to have the option to be a bit more mobile with these around the house. And how's sound leakage? Will I still get "the look" from the wife if I listen to death metal in the living room like I do with my HE-400i? Hoping with the D5200 being closed back it won't be as much of an issue. Sorry if these questions have already been brought up / answered here... I haven't had a chance to dig back through this entire thread yet.
D9200 is easily driven from portable devices, and I assume with these as well. I think with these types of headphones, a lower level gain works the best. I don't mean an iphone will be the best at driving these however, but something with higher gain, but not excessive.

These are made to be driven easily portably.

I don't believe these are really that good at isolation. Decent, but not the greatest. But still better than open-back.

My main reason for going for these isn't the isolation of closed-back, but the bass.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #281 of 815
D9200 is easily driven from portable devices, and I assume with these as well. I think with these types of headphones, a lower level gain works the best. I don't mean an iphone will be the best at driving these however, but something with higher gain, but not excessive.

These are made to be driven easily portably.

I don't believe these are really that good at isolation. Decent, but not the greatest. But still better than open-back.

My main reason for going for these isn't the isolation of closed-back, but the bass.

Thanks. Good to hear they should work with a portable no problem.

I’m by no means concerned if sound isolation is great on these but was curious. I’m really looking forward to hearing how the bass compares to the open back HE-400i. I’ve been wanting a headphone that provides a little more low end “oomph” than what the 400i offer.

Hoping the D5200 ship this coming week!

Nov 28, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #282 of 815
Damn you build a wood cup for HD58X? That's hardcore but would be neat if it works out.

Zebrawood is the same as D5200's wood I believe. D7200 / TH610 both uses Walnut, D9200 is Bamboo, and TH900 is Cherry.

But would definitely agree different wood definitely sound different. So far I've sampled Teak, Rosewood, Bamboo, Mahogany, Ebony, and Purpleheart all have their own signature. Generally speaking how dense the wood is and how oily the wood is.

I didn't make the cups, they are handmade by Larry at headphile. Was just trying to decide on which wood I wanted them to be since the signature was already darker & warmer than stock due to the Yaxi pads and I still wanted it as clean sounding as possible.

http://headphile.com/page4.html

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #283 of 815
Anyone compared the Denon AH-D5200 to AQ Nighthawk/Nightowl or Focal Elegia?

Nov 28, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #284 of 815
Sigh I missed this twice.......... fail. First time I wasn't sure if I should buy it since I spent a lot of money recently so I was thinking to revisit later at night then it's out of stock already. Today I see it came back in stock and was putting baby to sleep and came back out of stock again....... Should've just dropped everything and ordered LOL. Will keep in mind next time.

Though this US only so I might need to setup a proxy service or something.

Just to clarify, you meant drop everything *except the baby* :wink:

Nov 29, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #285 of 815
Has anyone who jumped on the $209 deal had their headphones shipped out yet? Mine still says "status: completed" and as far as I know, I was one of the earlier people to place the order. A couple friends of mine who ordered later but got "status: problem" have had their orders cancelled / refunded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back