Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Jul 14, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #181 of 815
Has anyone compared the D5200 to the Sony Z7M2?

Jul 21, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #182 of 815
Has anyone compared the D5200 to the Sony Z7M2?
I cant comment on the z7m2,but I recently purchased the original z7 and will comment on that.
The z7 has a warmer sound,there is more sound separation maybe because the driver is a massive 70mm.The bass is also deeper than the 5200 but not as controlled.The treble is more subdued as well.I am using them with the topping dx3 dac amp and like the sound alot,very warm and fun.
The denon 5200 were to be my end game closed backs,as I am not prepared to move up financially to the next level of headphones.I have put them up for sale,and had boxed them up to avoid temptation of using them.I have however got them out again and am listening to them as I type.I am using them with the hrt microstreamer portable dac amp.Compared the the z7s the sound is more analytical,less bass,clearer treble.
As the m7s need a more powerful amp,I am now considering keeping both headphones and using the denons as a more portable option.
The comfort of both headphones is also very good.
Conclusion,these are both fantastic headphones.I cant think of any other 2 closed backs in the price range with a better sound.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #183 of 815
I cant comment on the z7m2,but I recently purchased the original z7 and will comment on that.
The z7 has a warmer sound,there is more sound separation maybe because the driver is a massive 70mm.The bass is also deeper than the 5200 but not as controlled.The treble is more subdued as well.I am using them with the topping dx3 dac amp and like the sound alot,very warm and fun.
The denon 5200 were to be my end game closed backs,as I am not prepared to move up financially to the next level of headphones.I have put them up for sale,and had boxed them up to avoid temptation of using them.I have however got them out again and am listening to them as I type.I am using them with the hrt microstreamer portable dac amp.Compared the the z7s the sound is more analytical,less bass,clearer treble.
As the m7s need a more powerful amp,I am now considering keeping both headphones and using the denons as a more portable option.
Conclusion,these are both fantastic headphones.I cant think of any other 2 closed backs in the price range with a better sound.
I tried the Z7 a couple of years ago when I saw a good price for a second hand pair but I just didn't like the sound and sold them right away. I recently got a good price on a Sony/Kimber upgrade cable for my D5200 and it made me wonder about the Z7M2 which is supposed to be an improvement on the Z7, and is also supposed to benefit from the upgrade cable according to several owners. The upgrade cable has given me a new appreciation of the D5200, but also has me curious as to how the Z7M2 sound. I feel that overheads, even lower ohm rated ones benefit from a bit of power - I have tried to simplify things by having only my Sony WM1A which is adequate for the D5200 but those big 70mm drivers would probably prefer a bit of power to sound their best.
Thanks for sharing your that.

Jul 21, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #184 of 815
I tried the Z7 a couple of years ago when I saw a good price for a second hand pair but I just didn't like the sound and sold them right away. I recently got a good price on a Sony/Kimber upgrade cable for my D5200 and it made me wonder about the Z7M2 which is supposed to be an improvement on the Z7, and is also supposed to benefit from the upgrade cable according to several owners. The upgrade cable has given me a new appreciation of the D5200, but also has me curious as to how the Z7M2 sound. I feel that overheads, even lower ohm rated ones benefit from a bit of power - I have tried to simplify things by having only my Sony WM1A which is adequate for the D5200 but those big 70mm drivers would probably prefer a bit of power to sound their best.
I talked to someone recently on head-fi and he had the Z7 later on sold it to get Z7M2, he said he was really disappointed. In his words he said the mids were still super recessed and you lost that thumping bass. I haven't heard the Z7M2 so I can't comment on that (only briefly demoed Z7).

Though the same person highly recommend the Aeon RT Closed (the newly re-tuned original version at $500). However I keep reading comments regarding Aeon being amp picky (need more power than people initially thought) also a lot of people felt the Dan Clark house sound is very un-dynamic. Though the detail seems really good.

Since it now falls in similar price bracket and they upped the bass quantity since that was the original complaints regarding Aeon. Has anyone heard this and can compare to the Denon AH-D5200?

Jul 21, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #185 of 815
Can you say what you didn't like about the z7s?
Also is the kimber cable a definite upgrade.

Jul 21, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #186 of 815
Can you say what you didn't like about the z7s?
Also is the kimber cable a definite upgrade.
I can't remember to give an exact description, the only way I can sum it up was that my ears didn't take to the sound signature. A possible reason was that I was coming from listening to the Sony XBA-Z5 iems and I was hoping for them in overhead form and was disappointed. I think it was the recessed mids, big bass (not a bad thing) and the treble just didn't all mix well for me, I wanted them to work as they were well built and very comfortable. I have almost entirely used iems and in the past 2 weeks since getting the Kimber cable and trying with my D5200 I have found a whole new love of overheads so I am probably just now interested in trying another sound. I have a history with Sony so I am always steered in their direction. Also it's that perpetual looking for something else.

Jul 22, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #187 of 815
I talked to someone recently on head-fi and he had the Z7 later on sold it to get Z7M2, he said he was really disappointed. In his words he said the mids were still super recessed and you lost that thumping bass. I haven't heard the Z7M2 so I can't comment on that (only briefly demoed Z7).

Though the same person highly recommend the Aeon RT Closed (the newly re-tuned original version at $500). However I keep reading comments regarding Aeon being amp picky (need more power than people initially thought) also a lot of people felt the Dan Clark house sound is very un-dynamic. Though the detail seems really good.

Since it now falls in similar price bracket and they upped the bass quantity since that was the original complaints regarding Aeon. Has anyone heard this and can compare to the Denon AH-D5200?
I have heard comments about people preferring the original Z7 but I figured if they weren't to my taste the Z7M2 might have a chance with me.
I haven't heard the Aeons.

Jul 22, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #188 of 815
Bruh, I own these. I want you to be okay with keeping these. For the money, they are some of the best sounding all-round cans anywhere. They're a goldilocks in so many ways, but so many people pass them over for other cans . The 5200 is one of the rare set of cans that can virtually play anything well. I too was all set to sell them off a long time ago, but after auditioning cans below and above their $6-700 price, you cannot find better for what they are. So feel good about keeping them.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #189 of 815
Bruh, I own these. I want you to be okay with keeping these. For the money, they are some of the best sounding all-round cans anywhere. They're a goldilocks in so many ways, but so many people pass them over for other cans . The 5200 is one of the rare set of cans that can virtually play anything well. I too was all set to sell them off a long time ago, but after auditioning cans below and above their $6-700 price, you cannot find better for what they are. So feel good about keeping them.
LOL now I'm looking at Elegia (granted not same price) too, would you happen to have auditioned Elegia vs D5200 by any chance?

This headphone game is hard......

Jul 31, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #190 of 815
I use my WM1A's 4.4mm balanced output to drive my D5200.
I know on paper they are easy to drive and my WM1A is adequate, and I am enjoying the sound. Opinions differ, but are there benefits to be had from a more powerful output?

Aug 7, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #191 of 815
Decided to keep the denons and my sonys.Although they are both closed back they offer different sound signatures.Found myself thinking of selling both to get a pair of Beyer t5p 2 gen,but I dont think I would get much more sound improvement especially with my already ageing ears.Nice to have 2 pairs that give me a different take on sound.

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #192 of 815
lol now I'm looking at ATH-WP900, another Japanese headphone that's not too popular on this side of the world.

Granted these are a little bit more expensive than AH-D5200. However does anyone have any experience on these vs Denon AH-D5200?

Aug 9, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #193 of 815
LOL now I'm looking at Elegia (granted not same price) too, would you happen to have auditioned Elegia vs D5200 by any chance?

This headphone game is hard......
I just bought a used Elegia to try out and my Lawton modded Denon AH-D5000's destroy them. Seriously. The Elegia mids Might? be a tiny bit better but the bass and highs are way better with my old 5000's. They really don't compare, the Denon is just better overall and a lot smoother with way more inner detail. When Denon/Fostex made these cans they hit it out of the park. I keep trying to talk myself into a pair of 7200's but then I think "Why"? Oh yeah, I'm selling the Elegia.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #194 of 815
I just bought a used Elegia to try out and my Lawton modded Denon AH-D5000's destroy them. Seriously. The Elegia mids Might? be a tiny bit better but the bass and highs are way better with my old 5000's. They really don't compare, the Denon is just better overall and a lot smoother with way more inner detail. When Denon/Fostex made these cans they hit it out of the park. I keep trying to talk myself into a pair of 7200's but then I think "Why"? Oh yeah, I'm selling the Elegia.
It was my biggest concern for a while. Previously I tried TH-X00 Mahogany, TH-X00 Ebony, and E-Mu Teak as my attempt to upgrade from my AH-D2000. But they all end up being more like a side-grade, where they do certain things better but AH-D2000 do other things better (namely sound stage and sub bass is way better on the AH-D2000). At the end of the day I feel like I still like my AH-D2000 better as a whole so I kept the AH-D2000 and sold everything else.

Fast foward I'm back to the same dilemma again where I'm wondering if AH-D5200 would be big enough of an upgrade, OR I push to the next tier where I'm looking at Focal Elegia vs ATH-WP900.

Granted I have AH-D2000 which is different than your Lawton modded AH-D5000, but I'm just worried that if I get something then I'll be disappointed again.

Oh well at least I'm not in a rush to get a new headphone so I have some time to think about this....

Aug 9, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #195 of 815
It was my biggest concern for a while. Previously I tried TH-X00 Mahogany, TH-X00 Ebony, and E-Mu Teak as my attempt to upgrade from my AH-D2000. But they all end up being more like a side-grade, where they do certain things better but AH-D2000 do other things better (namely sound stage and sub bass is way better on the AH-D2000). At the end of the day I feel like I still like my AH-D2000 better as a whole so I kept the AH-D2000 and sold everything else.

Fast foward I'm back to the same dilemma again where I'm wondering if AH-D5200 would be big enough of an upgrade, OR I push to the next tier where I'm looking at Focal Elegia vs ATH-WP900.

Granted I have AH-D2000 which is different than your Lawton modded AH-D5000, but I'm just worried that if I get something then I'll be disappointed again.

Oh well at least I'm not in a rush to get a new headphone so I have some time to think about this....
I'm in the same situation. I also have an unmodded AH-D2000 and the Lawton AH-D5000 betters it by quite a bit with both having the same drivers. I'm curious about the AH-D7200 but I don't want to spend $700 or $800 used for a sideways move. The 7200 is supposed to have a better driver but will it better the Lawton 5000? The Elegia is a nice sounding headphone but it doesn't have the refinement, low bass, or the treble detail of the Lawton 5000. I was listening to both yesterday, swapping them back and forth (I modded my 5000 with 3.5mm jacks so I can change cables) and the differences are not subtle. There is detail, especially with percussion, that is very audible with the 5000 that is just not there with the Elegia. The very low bass is distinct with the 5000 and not present with the Elegia. Would the 7200 be better? It's a dilemma for sure. I had the Monolith M1060 open and the M1060C closed and the Lawton 5000 smoked both of them, it wasn't even close. I sold both of the Monoliths and good riddance. I haven't heard a planar yet that I can afford that I would keep. The top end on the ones I've owned is just too rolled off for my ears.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back