Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Jan 5, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #151 of 815
Has anyone got any advice with cable upgrades? I replaced the stock with a Japanese brand 4.4mm cable. As I have experienced improvements with iems going for a better grade cable I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with cable swaps. Copper, silver?

Jan 7, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #152 of 815
I have bad experience with cheap chinese cables form Amazon. The microphonics are bad as hell.

I use a balanced cable from Meze Audio. They heared my voice for a 4.4mm connector version. Its different build then the older 2.5 TRRS Version cable which was awesome with nearly zero microphonics. Did not try the new version.

https://mezeaudio.com/collections/a...-plated-upgrade-cables?variant=31315944669241

Do the cables improve the sound? Yes. But only if you can hear grass growing.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #153 of 815
Hey guys so I currently own the D2000 and to be honest for the most part I'm pretty happy with it except I wish it's a little bit warmer/organic sounding.

I've also since tried to "upgrade" without success, the other headphones I tried excel at other aspects but also did not do as well as the D2000 on other aspects. Namely that D2000 beat all of them on intimate vocal, wide soundstage and deepest subbass. So for the most part it's just been "different". Though all of the newer ones beat D2000 at resolution.

So now I'm looking at either Denon D5200 or Fostex TH610 or just maybeeeeee save up for Denon D9200 but I'll be mainly using this headphone at work so that might be over kill.

I also came across this article and seems like this guy like TH610 better, anyone have experience on both that can chime in? I'm slightly leaning towards Denon right now despite the article, maybe I'm biased LOL.

And here I'll give you guys a run down on the headphones I've tried to upgrade to. Scores are based on relative to other headphones on the list (out of 5):

D2000:
Warmth: 3 (somewhat neutral ish)
Vocal Intimacy: 4
Soundstage: 5
Subbass: 5

E-Mu Teak:
Warmth: 5
Vocal Intimacy: 2 (vocal sounded like behind curtain)
Soundstage: 4
Subbass: 3.5 (midbassy kind of headphone)

Th-X00 Mahogany:
Warmth: 4 (in my opinion best tonality of the bunch)
Soundstage: 2 (sounded too in your face when things gets busy, layering not as good as others here)
Subbass: 4

Th-X00 Ebony:
Warmth: 2 (too cold for my taste)
Vocal Intimacy: 3.5
Soundstage: 4 (best soundstage and imaging behind D2000)

Th-X00 Purpleheart: (only demoed for like 10 min so take it with grain of salt)
Warmth: 3 (I'd say it's between Mahogany and Ebony)
Vocal Intimacy: 5 (surprisingly upfront)
Soundstage: 3
Subbass: 4 (to be honest don't remember it being particularly bassy as people claimed)

Is it worth it to keep going the biocelulose route or should I just try something else entirely? Keep in mind this is work headphone so has to be closed.

But otherwise do you guys think D5200 or TH610 would be a good fit?

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #154 of 815
Hey guys so I currently own the D2000 and to be honest for the most part I'm pretty happy with it except I wish it's a little bit warmer/organic sounding.

I've also since tried to "upgrade" without success, the other headphones I tried excel at other aspects but also did not do as well as the D2000 on other aspects. Namely that D2000 beat all of them on intimate vocal, wide soundstage and deepest subbass. So for the most part it's just been "different". Though all of the newer ones beat D2000 at resolution.

So now I'm looking at either Denon D5200 or Fostex TH610 or just maybeeeeee save up for Denon D9200 but I'll be mainly using this headphone at work so that might be over kill.

I also came across this article and seems like this guy like TH610 better, anyone have experience on both that can chime in? I'm slightly leaning towards Denon right now despite the article, maybe I'm biased LOL.

And here I'll give you guys a run down on the headphones I've tried to upgrade to. Scores are based on relative to other headphones on the list (out of 5):

D2000:
Warmth: 3 (somewhat neutral ish)
Soundstage: 5
Subbass: 5

E-Mu Teak:
Warmth: 5
Vocal Intimacy: 2 (vocal sounded like behind curtain)
Subbass: 3.5 (midbassy kind of headphone)

Th-X00 Mahogany:
Warmth: 4 (in my opinion best tonality of the bunch)
Soundstage: 2 (sounded too in your face when things gets busy, layering not as good as others here)

Th-X00 Ebony:
Warmth: 2 (too cold for my taste)
Vocal Intimacy: 3.5
Soundstage: 4 (best soundstage and imaging behind D2000)

Th-X00 Purpleheart: (only demoed for like 10 min so take it with grain of salt)
Warmth: 3 (I'd say it's between Mahogany and Ebony)
Vocal Intimacy: 5 (surprisingly upfront)
Soundstage: 3
Subbass: 4 (to be honest don't remember it being particularly bassy as people claimed)

Is it worth it to keep going the biocelulose route or should I just try something else entirely? Keep in mind this is work headphone so has to be closed.

But otherwise do you guys think D5200 or TH610 would be a good fit?

Thanks in advance!!!

TH610 is semi open, doesn't leak as much as an open back but I can hear myself typing on a Topre keyboard with them on, which is not a loud keyboard, so not much isolation there. I am also interested in the D5200, does anyone have a comparison between that and the Denon AH-MM400? I really enjoy the sound on a pad swapped MM400 but it would be nice having a larger pair since they are intended for portable use.

Mar 11, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #155 of 815
I used to own the D2000 and I love the soundstage clear mids and a very nice subbass. When they broke, got the TH610 and I really like them.
Here's how I grade the Fostex TH-610:
TH610:
Warmth: 3 (really reminiscent of the neural D2000)
Vocal Intimacy: 5

Mar 14, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #157 of 815
TH610 is semi open, doesn't leak as much as an open back but I can hear myself typing on a Topre keyboard with them on, which is not a loud keyboard, so not much isolation there. I am also interested in the D5200, does anyone have a comparison between that and the Denon AH-MM400? I really enjoy the sound on a pad swapped MM400 but it would be nice having a larger pair since they are intended for portable use.

LOL funny enough I'm also Topre at work too haha, except mine's silenced Topre so even quieter.

I used to own the D2000 and I love the soundstage clear mids and a very nice subbass. When they broke, got the TH610 and I really like them.
Here's how I grade the Fostex TH-610:
TH610:
Warmth: 3 (really reminiscent of the neural D2000)
Vocal Intimacy: 5

Awesome that's really good to know, so at least I know if anything I can always fall back on TH610.

Sorry I just want to clarify something, I've read some reviews that criticize TH610 as being overly neutral to the point of sounding boring. But I've also read a few reviews that really enjoyed them, is it safe to assume this wouldn't be a problem?

Though lately I've been looking at DT177X GO it falls in similar price range. I wonder how that compares to TH610 and D5200, but from what I gathered I think TH610 and D5200 are better.

Anyone can confirm/deny that claim?

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #158 of 815
LOL funny enough I'm also Topre at work too haha, except mine's silenced Topre so even quieter.

Awesome that's really good to know, so at least I know if anything I can always fall back on TH610.

Sorry I just want to clarify something, I've read some reviews that criticize TH610 as being overly neutral to the point of sounding boring. But I've also read a few reviews that really enjoyed them, is it safe to assume this wouldn't be a problem?

Though lately I've been looking at DT177X GO it falls in similar price range. I wonder how that compares to TH610 and D5200, but from what I gathered I think TH610 and D5200 are better.

Anyone can confirm/deny that claim?

What do you listen to? For electronic I can say that D5200 is just better than TH610, but I haven't had my 5200 very long so I'll hold off on more details until I'm sure. It nice subbass and great impact, the impact which is completely missing on the 610 but just so far I'd say the 610 has better mids, aside from midbass. I'll update after I give it a day or two.

Mar 20, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #159 of 815
What do you listen to? For electronic I can say that D5200 is just better than TH610, but I haven't had my 5200 very long so I'll hold off on more details until I'm sure. It nice subbass and great impact, the impact which is completely missing on the 610 but just so far I'd say the 610 has better mids, aside from midbass. I'll update after I give it a day or two.

I jump between Rock, Acoustic, and Pop music. Some examples of songs I listen to recently:

Tricot - Oyasumi (snare drums and kick drums)

Nothing,Nowhere - Houdini (good for bass / sub bass)

Bulow - Two Punks In Love (good for sound stage and vocal)

Glades - Better Love (good for sound stage and mids)

Do you have both headphones at the moment? But yes definitely if you can give some input that would be great, much appreciated!!!

P.S: On a side note, D5200 do have slight advantage of being a little bit cheaper than TH610, but if one sounds better than the others then I won't mind the price difference.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #160 of 815
I jump between Rock, Acoustic, and Pop music. Some examples of songs I listen to recently:

Tricot - Oyasumi (snare drums and kick drums)

Nothing,Nowhere - Houdini (good for bass / sub bass)

Bulow - Two Punks In Love (good for sound stage and vocal)

Glades - Better Love (good for sound stage and mids)

Do you have both headphones at the moment? But yes definitely if you can give some input that would be great, much appreciated!!!

P.S: On a side note, D5200 do have slight advantage of being a little bit cheaper than TH610, but if one sounds better than the others then I won't mind the price difference.

I do https://imgur.com/iGzEwCe

I'm still trying to make it past the honeymoon phase, but right now I enjoy the 5200 a lot more. Comfort goes to the Fostex and I already scuffed my 5200 cups since they the finish is the most fragile I've ever seen, its so matte that its actually textured so anything that smooths out that texture will leave a scuff. I scuffed it by stretching on my aeron which has a slightly textured plastic rim on the top seat, but luckily its along the edge so difficult to see. Denon has better clamp, fostex is worn pretty loose even on my large head, fostex has limited aftermarket cables at higher prices. Fostex headband for sure is the inferior of the two with a lot of tension being put on a single pin held by an fine threaded thin screw, which was the point of failure for the original owner of my 610, over 50 bucks if you want to replace it via OEM parts btw.

Both have more than acceptable timbre, I really enjoy both but denon has better mid bass and bass impact to me, both have good mids in general but I think fostex has a slightly more fatiguing treble for me. As far as price, I got my fostex 610 for $101 shipped with a broken yoke which I just ziptied, and my Denon 5200 new in box for $300. Both you can get far below MSRP on ebay and other trade forums like this, so I really wouldn't let that influence your opinion on each.

I think both have pads that will eventually disintigrate and both have headbands that seem like they would do the same. Also haven't gone down your playlist yet hopefully I'll get to that tonight, if not then tomorrow.

Mar 21, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #161 of 815
Comparing them side by side, I think you'd prefer the 610. It just handles female vocals and acoustic better. The houdini and tricot(her vocals sounded natural on both but I preferred the instruments on 5200) are the only ones that sounded better to me on the 5200 and on the bulow track some of her vocals were edging on sibilant to me, which was not the case with the 610. For what I listen to which is a lot of busy tracks and electronic music, I prefer the 5200 but like all headphones its subjective and also dependent on what you listen to.

That said, they both come off as slightly mid forward to me, which can be a nice trait, so I don't think you could go wrong with either if the price is right. Neither has anemic bass either, and both can EQ bass nicely. I do think the 5200 is more versatile with more genres

edit: not really getting that almost sibilence on amazon music for that track weird

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #162 of 815
I do https://imgur.com/iGzEwCe

I'm still trying to make it past the honeymoon phase, but right now I enjoy the 5200 a lot more. Comfort goes to the Fostex and I already scuffed my 5200 cups since they the finish is the most fragile I've ever seen, its so matte that its actually textured so anything that smooths out that texture will leave a scuff. I scuffed it by stretching on my aeron which has a slightly textured plastic rim on the top seat, but luckily its along the edge so difficult to see. Denon has better clamp, fostex is worn pretty loose even on my large head, fostex has limited aftermarket cables at higher prices. Fostex headband for sure is the inferior of the two with a lot of tension being put on a single pin held by an fine threaded thin screw, which was the point of failure for the original owner of my 610, over 50 bucks if you want to replace it via OEM parts btw.

Both have more than acceptable timbre, I really enjoy both but denon has better mid bass and bass impact to me, both have good mids in general but I think fostex has a slightly more fatiguing treble for me. As far as price, I got my fostex 610 for $101 shipped with a broken yoke which I just ziptied, and my Denon 5200 new in box for $300. Both you can get far below MSRP on ebay and other trade forums like this, so I really wouldn't let that influence your opinion on each.

I think both have pads that will eventually disintigrate and both have headbands that seem like they would do the same. Also haven't gone down your playlist yet hopefully I'll get to that tonight, if not then tomorrow.

Ops sorry my notification email went to junk mail just saw this now. Nice picture by the way! Also is that the Monoprice THX AAA dac/amp? Looks great together with the headphones!

Really appreciate you take the time to listen to the tracks and give me a very thorough breakdown. It sounds like I can't really go wrong with either one. Also I'm pretty treble tolerant so I think I should be ok even with D5200 (like I thought TH-X00 Mahogany's treble was perfectly fine to me). Also ops I just use YouTube as the reference since it's more common, but normally I listen off Spotify Premium.

Right now between the two I am slightly leaning on D5200, partially because I've actually owned and tried so many Fostex headphones at this point it might be a bit more interesting to try a slightly different design such as the D5200. Only thing is I hope the clamping pressure won't be a problem. I have fairly large head and my current set is D2000 it's just so forgiving on large heads LOL.

I original was planning to buy them off Amazon Japan, but maybe like you said I should look around and see whichever one that I can find a better deal on and go with that. I'll let you know if I end up finding something, thanks again for all the feedback!

Mar 23, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #163 of 815
Ops sorry my notification email went to junk mail just saw this now. Nice picture by the way! Also is that the Monoprice THX AAA dac/amp? Looks great together with the headphones!

Really appreciate you take the time to listen to the tracks and give me a very thorough breakdown. It sounds like I can't really go wrong with either one. Also I'm pretty treble tolerant so I think I should be ok even with D5200 (like I thought TH-X00 Mahogany's treble was perfectly fine to me). Also ops I just use YouTube as the reference since it's more common, but normally I listen off Spotify Premium.

Right now between the two I am slightly leaning on D5200, partially because I've actually owned and tried so many Fostex headphones at this point it might be a bit more interesting to try a slightly different design such as the D5200. Only thing is I hope the clamping pressure won't be a problem. I have fairly large head and my current set is D2000 it's just so forgiving on large heads LOL.

I original was planning to buy them off Amazon Japan, but maybe like you said I should look around and see whichever one that I can find a better deal on and go with that. I'll let you know if I end up finding something, thanks again for all the feedback!

there was 3 or 4 used off eBay for around 300 when I posted earlier. I don't think I'd hunt for a new Denon when eBay you can get 7200 for 400ish 5200 300ish and I see 9200 end at 980 to 1100 pretty often.

yeah it's the monoprice amp and I do enjoy the 5200 more than 610 but both are very nice.

clamp on the 5200 is fine, it's just the 610 I have (maybe original owner stretched them) doesn't have much clamp

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #164 of 815
there was 3 or 4 used off eBay for around 300 when I posted earlier. I don't think I'd hunt for a new Denon when eBay you can get 7200 for 400ish 5200 300ish and I see 9200 end at 980 to 1100 pretty often.

yeah it's the monoprice amp and I do enjoy the 5200 more than 610 but both are very nice.

clamp on the 5200 is fine, it's just the 610 I have (maybe original owner stretched them) doesn't have much clamp

That sounds good, I'll aim for D5200 then!

I just took a look now I don't see anything in the 300 ish price range on ebay. Unless ebay is only showing me results that ships to Canada.

Either case I'll probably check back at a later time, I'm not in any rush so I'll monitor the pricing for a bit. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Apr 12, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #165 of 815
http://e-earphone.blog/?p=1282946

A comparison with the D7200 - Google translate it to English
I watched his youtube. He focus on the cables and look but does not evaluate the difference in sound quality other than that D7200 is more gentle sounding (yasahii) and that 5200, on the other hand, is better suited for rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back