Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Jun 4, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #767 of 815
Ops I just realized no one replied to this message, did you work out the situation in the end? It's been 6-7 months.... LOL.

But between D5000 and D5200 I actually like D5200 more, I find it's more balanced and more "fun" sounding. D5000 feels more focused on the mids. D5200 has more sparkly high and thumpy bass.

HMMMMMM it's hard to say, so several years back there was a Black Friday sale and a lot of D5200 were sold for $210 at the time. So a lot of people bought it since it's so cheap so why not. Then a lot of them end up not liking it so at the time so there were a lot of second hand D5200 for dirt cheap for a while. I managed to buy one off the second hand market for $270 few months later.

Though it's been another few years now and also yours is brand new for $400. Also I just checked D5200 MSRP is $700, so I'd think $400 is a decent price for brand new one. I think ideally $350 is probably a good "like new" price so based on that $400 possibly is a good "new" price.
Thanks! I’m just looking for a fairly good closed to play music when I can listen to open back and tire of my IEMs.

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #768 of 815
Thanks! I’m just looking for a fairly good closed to play music when I can listen to open back and tire of my IEMs.
Hi John, I picked up an open box 5200 on EBay from a real dealer for under $400 in as new condition. Build quality and comfort are good, sound is better than expected with very accurate vocals and a strong but clean bass. Recommended, a good value phone

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #769 of 815
Hi John, I picked up an open box 5200 on EBay from a real dealer for under $400 in as new condition. Build quality and comfort are good, sound is better than expected with very accurate vocals and a strong but clean bass. Recommended, a good value phone
Hi Bob, I did the exact same and have been so impressed with these cans. I have been listening to them a TON!

Nov 18, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #770 of 815
Hello guys.

I've read from someone on reddit who was reviewing the 5200 that the midrange is a bit recessed.
Do you guys agree on that? And if yes how much recessed is it? Sadly I can't demo before buying them so I just wanted to know how strong or not strong they are recessed in order to know if I would be happy with them or not. I'm coming from Audio Technica ATH-M30 headphones and the midrange there is really emphasized which I do like. Don't really wanna miss that with my next headphones.

Nov 18, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #771 of 815
Hello guys.

I've read from someone on reddit who was reviewing the 5200 that the midrange is a bit recessed.
Do you guys agree on that? And if yes how much recessed is it? Sadly I can't demo before buying them so I just wanted to know how strong or not strong they are recessed in order to know if I would be happy with them or not. I'm coming from Audio Technica ATH-M30 headphones and the midrange there is really emphasized which I do like. Don't really wanna miss that with my next headphones.
Hi, I don’t think the midrange is recessed. I use them a lot for female vocals and the mids are nice and even, and female vocals have the right pitch or timbre to my ears. If anything the treble is not bright as they are closed but they are very easy to listen to for extended periods

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #772 of 815
Hi, I don’t think the midrange is recessed. I use them a lot for female vocals and the mids are nice and even, and female vocals have the right pitch or timbre to my ears. If anything the treble is not bright as they are closed but they are very easy to listen to for extended periods

Thanks for the fast reply.

I am going to quote the segment from the review to let you guys know what exactly was written:

"Due to the U-shaped sound signature of the Denon AH-D5200, midrange does sound somewhat recessed. While not detrimental in any way for casual listening, you may notice that vocals and certain instruments appear a touch muffled. This is especially the case in crowded segments of music which are heavy on bass and treble.

This is redeemed however by the natural timbre of both male and female voices as well as string instruments in particular, which keeps you appreciating the melody which would otherwise fade into the background."

Nov 19, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #773 of 815
Hello guys.

Nope not at all! These are some great cans...who ever said that may need to upgrade his amp

Nov 19, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #774 of 815
Nope not at all! These are some great cans...who ever said that may need to upgrade his amp

So would you recommend the 5200 to someone who can't afford an extra amp?
If you would need one although their impedence and sensitivy telling me that they should be fine without an amp then I have to decide against them because of the extra money for an amplifier.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #775 of 815
So would you recommend the 5200 to someone who can't afford an extra amp?
If you would need one although their impedence and sensitivy telling me that they should be fine without an amp then I have to decide against them because of the extra money for an amplifier.
If you have a decent phone like a newer Samsung or IPhone these will play plenty loud and clear.

Nov 19, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #777 of 815
It was intended to use them from my PC.
Mainboard is an AsRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi with a Realtek ALC 897 soundchip.

I personally would not listen to a higher end headphone like the D5200 using integrated audio. Unless it's a mobo model where the manufacturer paid special attention to the audio section, you will likely hear the noise from the CPU VRM stage, like a silent buzz whenever you move the mouse or scroll in a window. I recommend using an inexpensive but very good sounding USB DAC+Amp combo, like the Topping DX3Pro+ or Shanling UA3.

Nov 19, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #778 of 815
I personally would not listen to a higher end headphone like the D5200 using integrated audio. Unless it's a mobo model where the manufacturer paid special attention to the audio section, you will likely hear the noise from the CPU VRM stage, like a silent buzz whenever you move the mouse or scroll in a window. I recommend using an inexpensive but very good sounding USB DAC+Amp combo, like the Topping DX3Pro+ or Shanling UA3.

Thanks for your input.
By knowing that now I have to give the Denon's a pass then.

I'm searching for a headphone that I can listen to without having to buy extra stuff and I'm not willing to pay so much money for "just" listening to music.
But atleast you guys helped me figuring out if it's worth it or not so thanks for that.

Nov 19, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #779 of 815
Thanks for your input.

I'm searching for a headphone that I can listen to without having to buy extra stuff and I'm not willing to pay so much money for "just" listening to music.
But atleast you guys helped me figuring out if it's worth it or not so thanks for that.

Looking at German Amazon, the UA3 is just 120 Euro. That is not much in my opinion, considering how good it sounds. A small dongle that will definitely be an upgrade over any integrated audio.

Nov 19, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #780 of 815
Thanks for your input.

Your choice of course, but there's nothing wrong with a PC-D5200 combo.A chain is always as good as its weakest link, so whichever cans you end up with, they won't perform better than the mobo allows them to (except if they're really crappy cans)

Getting the D5200 would mean having a very nice pair of cans, ready for a better chain if/when you decide to invest more.

PS - I use the D5200 with my macbook

Users who are viewing this thread

Back