Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Oct 4, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #751 of 815
I tried denons dac/amp right before covid hit, in a hifi show in japan, and again at a store. At least pretty sure its this model. Was the first time I heard the denon hps. Can't recall sound specifics, but I remember liking the form factor, build and sound.

I listened to the 5200, 7200, and 9200 on it. I clearly remember preferring the 9200 because the detail, and then 5200. I wasn't found of the 7200.
Being mostly an iem user the D5200 were the first overheads I really appreciated, I intended to step up to the D9200 but due to high pricing, no demo models and stingy return laws in my country I couldn't pass up on a bargain secondhand MDR-Z1R. I sold them to finance something else and recently took advantage of another nice price on a secondhand D7200. To be fair I didn't give them much time but they didn't instantly grab me so sold them on. I'm currently considering either the Z1R again or more likely the D9200.
Ohhhhh so lucky, I want to go to Japan again. I like how EVERYTHING has a demo model in japan. Hopefully I get to visit again one day.

And that's good to hear about the Denon Dac/Amp. Thanks!!!
For the past 20+ years I have been going annually to Japan but covid restrictions, and now high pricing has put a pause on that. It was heaven to walk in to a store and be able to try anything. Up until my last trip 3 years ago I was a dap and iem user, the covid era had me reassess what's important to me and allow myself to go up the tiers and also branch out to a desktop and overheads. Now I'm really peachy keen to get over there to try those D9200, some cables, tips for iems etc.

Oct 13, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #753 of 815
Amazon Australia are doing a special on the D5200 if you're downunder - cheap fast shipping to NZ

*price has gone back to double

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #754 of 815
Hello there,
I was also interested in the D5200 compared to others closed headsets like ATH-MSR7b or Sennheiser Momentum 3 (that I've already used) ? Obviously they belong to two different groups in terms of their costs so the built quality of the AHD5200 is supposed to be better. However, could we expect much better sound (in terms of the soundstage and natural coloration) in the case of AHD5200 ? Would it be better to consider more expensive AHD7200?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #755 of 815
Hello there,
I was also interested in the D5200 compared to others closed headsets like ATH-MSR7b or Sennheiser Momentum 3 (that I've already used) ? Obviously they belong to two different groups in terms of their costs so the built quality of the AHD5200 is supposed to be better. However, could we expect much better sound (in terms of the soundstage and natural coloration) in the case of AHD5200 ? Would it be better to consider more expensive AHD7200?

IMO the D5200 is a step up from the MSR7b. Also the build quality is better, some plastic parts of the MSR7b just broke off after about two years of light usage. Not affecting usability, but still... Whether that step up is worth your money, only you can decide.

Oct 25, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #756 of 815
IMO the D5200 is a step up from the MSR7b. Also the build quality is better, some plastic parts of the MSR7b just broke off after about two years of light usage. Not affecting usability, but still... Whether that step up is worth your money, only you can decide.
Weil I may purchase either D5200 (300 euros) or D7200 for 430. I read that in terms of the sound , the D5200 is something more neutral ( thus closer to msr7b) and the D7200 should be oriented towards the bass boost (like Sony models). Is it true ?
Also I would like to clarify whether the impedance of 25 ohms could be with the hi fi models ? I actually have a lot of experience with 200-300 ohms models like hd540 , hd600 which are référence in the sound for my choice

Oct 25, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #758 of 815
Weil I may purchase either D5200 (300 euros) or D7200 for 430. I read that in terms of the sound , the D5200 is something more neutral ( thus closer to msr7b) and the D7200 should be oriented towards the bass boost (like Sony models). Is it true ?
Also I would like to clarify whether the impedance of 25 ohms could be with the hi fi models ? I actually have a lot of experience with 200-300 ohms models like hd540 , hd600 which are référence in the sound for my choice
I would actually say MSR7B is probably leaning towards bright? D5200 is about middle, and D7200 is said to be a bit darker. Though again it depending on people's tolerance towards treble lol.

Some people find D7200 lacks treble and when they EQ it then it's perfect. So if you're ok with EQ then you could try shoot for D7200, otherwise to me D5200 is good out of the box.

As for low impedance, only issue is that you won't be able to use OTL tube amps. But otherwise any other solid state or tube hybrid with low output impedance will be fine. In terms of "hi-fi" I don't think you can judge it purely based on impedance rating lol. Utopia has pretty low impedance rating and it's the highest dynamic driver headphone. Most planar has low impedance rating too lol.

Oct 25, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #759 of 815
I only listened to the D7200 in a showroom, where it stuck me as a bit on the bassy side, but over at the dedicated Denon threads there must be people with more insights.
Oh yeah this is the D7200 thread you can ask there haha.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/denon-ah-7200.810889/page-181#post-17208052

Oct 25, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #760 of 815
Thank you very much ! So basically besides of the difference in the EQ of the sound what is the difference between the both models ? I mean why D7200 costs more ? :) is it the same drivers / build quality ? What’s about the sound stage ?

I listen everything with my iPhone connected to Fiio k5 pro ( via Apple Music ) I don’t know how to equalise this setup :)

For the dark sounded headphones I had previously AKG k712 which personally I don’t like for the sound… also I have old Sennheiser hd 420 with rich warm sound that is ok for some old school rock tracks . I had also Marshall monitors that could probably fit to this category as well .

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #761 of 815
Thank you very much ! So basically besides of the difference in the EQ of the sound what is the difference between the both models ? I mean why D7200 costs more ? :) is it the same drivers / build quality ? What’s about the sound stage ?

I listen everything with my iPhone connected to Fiio k5 pro ( via Apple Music ) I don’t know how to equalise this setup :)

For the dark sounded headphones I had previously AKG k712 which personally I don’t like for the sound… also I have old Sennheiser hd 420 with rich warm sound that is ok for some old school rock tracks . I had also Marshall monitors that could probably fit to this category as well .
lol to be honest I've never owned D7200 but I read it's higher resolution, it's actually closer to D9200 in terms of resolution. Build quality is the same LOL. I've owned D5200 and D9200 before build is pretty much identical aside from the wood cup. Cable is similar but different, I think D7200 has higher quality copper I think? And D7200 has 6.35 mm jack and D5200 has 3.5 mm jack, D9200 has 2 cables with both type of jack lol.

To be honest if you're considering MSR7B I think you like treble, so I'd imagine D5200 would suit your taste better.

As for resolution, I though D5200 was pretty good? Like when compare back to back to D9200 I thought it's maybe 10-15% difference but the price is like 4-5x more. But I guess that's just audio hobby in general lol.

Oct 31, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #762 of 815
Well just after receiving a d5200 I find this is a great headset for 340 euros that I payed for it.. the overall perception may be like higher models of the BD , the comfort is TOP .. Regarding the sound pattern I would rather say that it may be considered as hot but neutral . I don’t notice any problems in the middle part of the EQ. I believe it could be improved (in terms of the sound stage ) with my FiiO k5 pro but it sounds very well just with my iPhone ( I use mainly Apple Music )

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #763 of 815
Hey,

I have the D5000 and like them very much. But there's one problem, my girlfriend likes them very much, too.
So we need a second one. I'm not big fan of buying used headphones if they're not in a really good condition.

So I saw that there are some good black friday offers for the D5200 and I wanted to know, if the can compete with the D5000?
Could someone maybe tell me in what way the two headphones differ?

Thanks for your help :)

Jun 4, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #765 of 815
Hey,

I have the D5000 and like them very much. But there's one problem, my girlfriend likes them very much, too.
So we need a second one. I'm not big fan of buying used headphones if they're not in a really good condition.

So I saw that there are some good black friday offers for the D5200 and I wanted to know, if the can compete with the D5000?
Could someone maybe tell me in what way the two headphones differ?

Thanks for your help :)
Ops I just realized no one replied to this message, did you work out the situation in the end? It's been 6-7 months.... LOL.

But between D5000 and D5200 I actually like D5200 more, I find it's more balanced and more "fun" sounding. D5000 feels more focused on the mids. D5200 has more sparkly high and thumpy bass.
Hey all, found an unopened new D5200 for $400. Would you consider that a good buy?
HMMMMMM it's hard to say, so several years back there was a Black Friday sale and a lot of D5200 were sold for $210 at the time. So a lot of people bought it since it's so cheap so why not. Then a lot of them end up not liking it so at the time so there were a lot of second hand D5200 for dirt cheap for a while. I managed to buy one off the second hand market for $270 few months later.

Though it's been another few years now and also yours is brand new for $400. Also I just checked D5200 MSRP is $700, so I'd think $400 is a decent price for brand new one. I think ideally $350 is probably a good "like new" price so based on that $400 possibly is a good "new" price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back