Denon AH D5000: first impression
Nov 7, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #16 of 32
Guys please stop teasing me, between mark comments, nik and now this thread, I will definitelly jump on a pair sooner or later...oh man!!! When this madness will end....
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #17 of 32
I believe Nik only listens to classical (and I suspect at much lower volume levels than I listen), so for him, the bass bloat is going to be less of an issue.
basshead.gif

But as I've posted elsewhere, I agree with Nik they resemble the R10 in the midrange more than any other phone I've heard; however, I would have to admit that the Denons probably have even more natural-sounding mids than R10. That said, there is a teeny tiny recession in the mids of the Denon which can be a little frustrating at times.

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #18 of 32
My preferred genre of music is jazz-femal-vocal, but all the acoustic music is bread for me...

Level of volume is VERY IMPORTANT for the closed cans, and, yes my level is generally lower than many other listeners. And with closed cans even lower than open cans.

As I said, the amplifier is also so important for the bass responce of the D5000, the Yamamoto seems to be a perfect match.

Burn in time will say if the booming bass go out compltetly, I think so, but respect to the DX1000 we have a good step up even in this regard.

We are speaking of the same cans but all the rest is different (cables, source...).

Best!
Nik

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #19 of 32
I've been looking to try a closed headphone but I can't seem to make up by mind between the W5000 dx1000 d5000 and ultrasone ed9

Thoughts ?

Nov 7, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been looking to try a closed headphone but I can't seem to make up by mind between the W5000 dx1000 d5000 and ultrasone ed9

Thoughts ?

While I haven't heard the dx1000, and only listened to the UE9s briefly at the National Meet, I think that you'll get the best bang for your buck from the D5000.

I personally prefer them to the W5000, but that's primarily because I could never get the ATHs to fit properly. They do sound very nice, however.

Nov 7, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #21 of 32
I own the Edition 9 and the D5000. If money is no object I prefer the edition 9 by far.... just my opinion.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Nov 8, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #23 of 32
I would like to follow the description of my impression (a second impression) because this baby is so good...

The combo with the Yamamoto is simply FANTASTICAL, I don't remember a med-range so musical and "sugar"... no any other cans gave me this impression, not the R10 too (and I had them two times !!!).

The med (voices and all the acoustic instrument in that range) are simply so natural that you can't believe.

I'm comparing this setup with two monster I have:
1) Air Tight/K1000
and
2) ProAc Response one SC speakers (with the BAT integrated). So I have a very fine setup to compare the new D5000/Yamamoto combo.

I can say that the D5000/Yamamoto is "economic" hi end setup, may be in the same class of my Air Tight/K1000 if I don't consider that the K1000 is a unconventional headphones. But if I come back to the "standard" cans, the D5000 is IMO, the best sound I remember to date.

I think that a big amount of this enthusiastic impression comes from the combo, not just the D5000 but the synergi with the marvelous Yamamoto.

So this combo take now the "second" place after the Air Tight/K1000, but if you are looking for a heaven setup and you do not have that money for a good 300B amp (K1000 need this amp IMO), you can buy for less and less, an outstanding setup for one of the best musical reproduction you can imagine...

Best!
Nik

Nov 25, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thoughts ?

Get the Denons for sure. I own both the W and the D 5000's. The D has a well balanced high's mid's and bass spectrum. The bass is also more punchy. Forget about ed9's. I listened to them twice and do not understand the fuss. I was not impressed.

Nov 25, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The combo with the Yamamoto is simply FANTASTICAL, I don't remember a med-range so musical and "sugar"... no any other cans gave me this impression, not the R10 too (and I had them two times !!!).

Best!
Nik

That Yamamoto can make a lot of cans sound good. My Ultrasone Edition 9 has a beautiful sound as well with it.

Nov 26, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #26 of 32
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That Yamamoto can make a lot of cans sound good. My Ultrasone Edition 9 has a beautiful sound as well with it.

It's all about "Synergy". The E9 can be less stellar with some amps. I think the E9 and Rudistor were made for each other.

I'd love to hear the E9 on the HA-02.... until I can find one.
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #27 of 32
i listened to the D5000, W5000, DX1000, and Ed.9 recently at a meet on a few setups. my impression of them was that i would purchase the W5000 if my main music was classical (the bass may be too light for other genres) or the DX1000 for a broader variety - it has smooth, warm, fluid sound with good soundstage but possibly a slight coloration to the midrange. the D5000 to me sounded a bit thin and the sound stage seemed small. the Ed.9 had an unusual isolation to it and very good but somewhat overpowering bass. maybe if you were hard into rock, this would be a good choice.

Jan 9, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i listened to the D5000, W5000, DX1000, and Ed.9 recently at a meet on a few setups. my impression of them was that i would purchase the W5000 if my main music was classical (the bass may be too light for other genres) or the DX1000 for a broader variety - it has smooth, warm, fluid sound with good soundstage but possibly a slight coloration to the midrange. the D5000 to me sounded a bit thin and the sound stage seemed small. the Ed.9 had an unusual isolation to it and very good but somewhat overpowering bass. maybe if you were hard into rock, this would be a good choice.

I have not heard the W5000, DX1000 and Ed. 9, but I agree 100 % with your comments regarding the D5000 : sounds thin and small soundstage. I am comparing them to the HD650, which are my favorite headphones. The HD650 are much more involving and have much better soundstage and 3D imaging. The D5000 have a very pleasant sound, but are very "polite". They are nice to hear when you need "background" music. In that sense, I can see how people who appreciate the K1000 would like the D5000 too. Don't get me wrong - the D5000 are very good cans - it is just a matter of taste.

I am sure the D5000 can be tweaked to improve the sound (tighter bass....) but I doubt the changes will be very profound. I like them for what they are and don't feel the need to modify them.

Jan 9, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
confused.gif
eek.gif

I have read your comments about the HD650, so I know where you're coming from. I just want HD650 fans to know where they are going with the D5000...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back