Denon AH D5000: first impression
Nov 6, 2007 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Nik

Headphoneus Supremus
I like this can A LOT, sure much better than the JVC DX1000 (considering these two closed headphones side by side).

I like the quality of building and I find the D5000 one of the most RELAXED sound and fit perfectly in my head. So relax for the sound and for the position on the head.

With the PS Audio amplifier they have a too much quantiti of bass (amount of bass) that is very good for definition and tightness.

I prefer A LOT the Yamamoto with the D5000, the Yammy is not a monster bass and I find this a godd synergy for the BIG amount of bass in the D5000.

The med are one of the best I have heard and the hi frequences are relaxed and musical (sylk). Yes really this can remember me the magical R10 in many aspects...

Just my two first cents... the can need to play a lot (I think) to give their best, but right out of the box they are an excellent cans, no doubt.

Keep in touch for the "second impression"... !!! ???

Best!
Nik

PS: (Sovkiller... may be this is a can you will love so much...)

Nov 6, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 32
Glad you're enjoying the D5000s! I have the D2000s which are supposed to be sonically equivalent to the D5000s, the differences being the cups and cup material and cable primarily, as you're doubtless aware.

Anyway I noticed you also have the Audio Technica W5000s and I was hoping you might briefly compare and contrast these two sets of headphones and discuss their differences. I'm trying to decide if the W5000s would be a good pair to get next so would appreciate hearing how they differ from the D5000s from someone who owns both. Thanks in advance!

Nov 7, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 32
Hi Nik:

Trust me that this was a can I have had in mind since it hit the market, first t looks gorgeous, and the impressions about the sound were all very favorable, so I began to do some research in secret here, unfortunatelly I have received some negative info about the build quality, so I need to see them in front of me first, and of course listen them to form a whole picture of them...What is your opinion regarding that issue, I use as a reference the R-10 for comparison of build quality, more or less...

BTW I though that you were done after the K-1000....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcs414 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad you're enjoying the D5000s! I have the D2000s which are supposed to be sonically equivalent to the D5000s, the differences being the cups and cup material and cable primarily, as you're doubtless aware.

Just curious, was it ever proven that the driver in the AH-D2000 is the exact same as in the AH-D5000?

Nov 7, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 32
I received my AH-D5000's last week and they are spectacular. Towards the end of the month I'll be doing an in-depth comparison with the HD650.

As for build quality, mine certainly seem well made.

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:23 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Nik:

Trust me that this was a can I have had in mind since it hit the market, first t looks gorgeous, and the impressions about the sound were all very favorable, so I began to do some research in secret here, unfortunatelly I have received some negative info about the build quality, so I need to see them in front of me first, and of course listen them to form a whole picture of them...What is your opinion regarding that issue, I use as a reference the R-10 for comparison of build quality, more or less...

BTW I though that you were done after the K-1000....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Alberto, I was conivinced as you, about external aspect and building (after read some impression that Hirsch has wrote about this cans...), but I find the headphones very well built and look fantastic to my eyes. I'd say in the same quality level of w5000 or DX1000... very confortable on the head, easy to live with...

If you can, try this cans...

Best!
Nik

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes. x2

a dx1000/d5000/w5000 comparison would be nice - all woody and closed.

Hi guys, sorry if I do not have so much time to answer to you...

The 3 closed cans are all very good, but the very first (IMO) is without any doubt the Denon, not so colored as the other two, not so "colsed" in sound as the JVC, no too much detailed as the AT.

Surely the best med range of the 3. The bass is also the most correct (with the Yamamoto), with the PS Audio is a bit too present.

Between the 3 cans the Denon is the most enjoiable and it's a pleasure to listen with: relaxed, detailed absolutely NO FATIGUING listen.

Even the soundstage is excellent for a closed cans.

May be a baby R10 (baby just for his price !!!).

Best!
Nik

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #10 of 32
Nik,
Let them burn in for at least 40 hours. The bass will tighten up considerably. Out of the box they are very bloated and all over the place. They will break in very nicely though.

Sov,
Stop killing yourself. Just get a pair. I think they'll become your favorite headphone.

Gurra,
Neither have I. People don't read the instructions. You aren't supposed to pull them open by holding the earcups. You are supposed to pull them open from the swivel arm and then place them on your head. If more people did this, they wouldn't have the screw problem. Sure, the swivel arm could have been made with a better design, but these are not cans to be tossed around. They are delicate and if you treat them with care they will reward you with amazing sound and comfort.

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:40 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nik,
Let them burn in for at least 40 hours. The bass will tighten up considerably. Out of the box they are very bloated and all over the place. They will break in very nicely though.

Sov,
Stop killing yourself. Just get a pair. I think they'll become your favorite headphone.

Yes, you are right, even after 20 hours the bass is going in the right direction... the Yamamoto is a FANTASTIC PARTNER FOR THEM.

I don't think the cans need any modification (IMO and for my tastes).

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:41 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is an amazing hp and the build quality is exelent, I have not had any screw issue on mine and they are made of metal and soft plastic headband and earpads.

Plastic or leather ?

Nov 7, 2007 at 11:30 AM Post #14 of 32
I just found the absolute perfect soundstage mod on my Denon D5000. Take your headphones and angle them towards the back, so that the headband is resting at a 45 degree angle instead of on top of your head. The headband should now be resting on the top back of your head.

I am listening to Pink Floyd's Pulse album, and I can't believe how realistic the soundstage is (especially with crossfeed activated, and on high gain on the Opera). You will lose some detail though.

It's pretty incredible. Maybe we can open the headphones up and rotate the drivers a quarter turn.

Nov 7, 2007 at 12:01 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's pleather.

No, you are wrongl, it's leathstic
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back