Denon AH-D5000 and AH-D2000 - Screws Coming Loose?
Jul 18, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #31 of 91
I still havent done the loctite, but if it works, I would definitely buy the Denon's again...the sound quality is that good and they are that comfortable.

Jul 18, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #32 of 91
I've had my D5000's for a couple months now and have had no problems with the construction, although the "Made in China" stamp made me think that I would, so I've been especially careful with them.

Jul 18, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #35 of 91
Gotta flame...It is such a lame mentality to immediately spring into lawsuit mode. No one is getting injured, the product works and all you have to do is a little maintenance! People ought to calm down, its pathetic! Go dump some hot coffee in your lap.
Also wanted to say thanks to the OP for bringing this to everyone's attention. Thinking of buying myself a pair and now I know what to watch for!

Jul 18, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #37 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by spencexxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you loctite something, can you easily unscrew it later, or is it more like a glue?

On a small part it could be permanent because the bond is stronger than the part. Lock tight is color coded.

red=permanent
blue=semi-permant
green=removable

Green and blue could be the other way around I am not sure.

I am not worried about the screw and it will not stop me from buying them, but it is disapointing.

When I heard Denon was bringing out hi end headphones I have my doubts that they would be any good ( I dislike most if not all Japanese/chinese electronic audio grear, bad sound and pore quality IMO). But then I heard all the good review and was/am planing on getting a pare.

I am just disapointed because I thought they would be better built by the looks of them but this makes me remeber why I stay way from Japanese gear.

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #38 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't make me wonder
cool.gif

That phrase my mother used to tell me, "Making a mountain out of a mole hill" comes to mind. Wouldn't stop me from getting them.

Agreed...don't let a silly screw disuade you from buying these if you were already interested in them. They are fabulous cans. FWIW...my screws were nice and tight, however, I did strip one of the really small ones under the earpad...no biggie. While doing this I discovered that by rotating the pads so the fat side of the pad is toward the front, they fit better and sound a little better. I think I've been wearing these wrong for the last 2 months. These things just never cease to amaze me!
icon10.gif

Jul 19, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #39 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by James63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a small part it could be permanent because the bond is stronger than the part. Lock tight is color coded.

red=permanent
blue=semi-permant
green=removable

Green and blue could be the other way around I am not sure.

Loctite used to hava more varieties in their consumer line, now it is just those three. Here's the lowdown:
Green - intended for small screws, removable with heat
Red - intended for medium screws to medium bolts, removable with heat
Blue - Intended for larger bolts, removable

None of these meet the small screw/removable criteria, so I'd go with Loctite 222, an industrial product that is removable, for small screws, and specifically specified for electronics use (even though that's not a necessity for a screw on the frame of a headphone.)

Loctite 222 is available online from a number of industrial suppliers, such as HMC electronics.

As far as influencing a purchase, I wouldn't be deterred by this screw issue. I had a chance to do some extended listening to both the 2000's and 5000's recently, and they sound absolutely amazing. They compare favorably to a lot of other popular and well-regarded headphones out there, and have the very best comfort of any circumaural headphone I have worn. It's more of an engineering problem than a build quality issue, they are generally well put together, there is just too much stress on that screw. I think threadlocker will solve the problem just fine.

Jul 19, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #40 of 91
Did I mention that the Denon 2000 and 5000 cans sound incredible???

Let me state unequivocally for the record: Even with this design flaw, I would still buy the Denon 2000's again. I'd like to get a second pair actually, but they are sold out everywhere!

Do not stress out on this issue, just be aware of it.

Jul 19, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #41 of 91
I just popped up little metal cover cups on mine and the right side was like it should but on the left side screw was loose so the hole cup could fell off any minute
Anyway,
All job where done in less then five minutes. I just put a tiny drop of Japanese Super glue inside of the nut (just to cover the thread) and screwed the nut back. When glue crystallizes it will lock the nut from unscrewing. Later if needs it can be unscrewed, then you need to clean the thread from glue and repeat the procedure again.
I used this method several times in my watches when a tiny metal screw needs to be locked!

Of course it’s annoying but I don’t see a big problem here!

The material they used in the headphones are good quality for the money and there no plastic in this HP which you can find in more expensive headphones.

Apparently they used some red sort of glue which they thought will work!
But it didn't!

I think as long as drivers are fine there are should be no big problems with the headphone!

I hope so!
smily_headphones1.gif

SO people don’t run from his HP!!!

Happy listening everybody!

Jul 19, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #42 of 91
Thanks OP for the heads-up !

As for some of the other opinions on the issue... I think the big nut under your headband is loose... j/k
wink.gif

Jul 19, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #43 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just popped up little metal cover cups on mine and the right side was like it should but on the left side screw was loose so the hole cup could fell off any minute

help me (us) with how you popped the cap off???

Jul 19, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #45 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarded /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe this is why denon suddenly put the d2000 and d5000 on factory level backorder?

ah ah , now that's a pretty good thought . considering the amount of people with the problem it should have come to their attention by now. also Denon isn't a small company to be having manufacturing delays for already in production products. hopefully it might mean they're working out a solution

Users who are viewing this thread

Back