Denon AH-D2000's worth it?
Feb 17, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #61 of 111
Let me add this. The Denon's do sound very nice unamped. But...I added a Asus Essence STX yesterday and got a "healthy improvement" in sound quality and power. This card has both dac and headphone amp. While I still stick to the fact the these phones do not need to be amped, you can certainly get some more out of them later on with a dac/amp. I will post impressions in detail later on in case anyone is interested...but mostly for my own amusement 
L3000.gif

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #62 of 111
Just got mine today, and I'm already in love! Even without burn in (the bass is a tad muddy) they're fantastic: This is what headphones are supposed to sound like! Returning the Sennheiser HD598's in favor of these was an excellent decision.

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #63 of 111
My BNIB headphones are still 2 states away 
frown.gif

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #65 of 111
Yep, yep. There's definitely some audio alchemy going on in these things, they sound closer to the old pair now. :cool: Time for more pink noise.

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #66 of 111
Mine are really just coming into their own after about a weeks worth of heavy play. I did not "burn in." Just listened to them change during music play. Bass tightened up...treble got more detailed...sound stage improved. I love love these. Adding the xonar stx yesterday was the cherry on top though...

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #67 of 111
I'm totally on the fence about buying a pair of Denon AHD2000s or Ultrasone HFI 780s. They both sound like they would be perfect for me since I listen to a lot of EDM. What do you guys think? If I can get a pair of these Denons for only $200, I feel like I might as well since the 780s are already like $150...

Feb 18, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #70 of 111
I think you mean the HM5 are neutral. I may be buying the HM5 for a good old fashioned shootout.

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #72 of 111
Sorry for me newbieness to headphones.  I come from the two channel and home theater speaker world where a flat/linear response is generally regarded as a good thing.  I just got the HM5 and they sound great to me.  I don't find them boring.  The music sounds the way it was recorded.  I'd like to try other headphones though.  Can anyone comment on how the Denon would sound different?

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #73 of 111

Quote:
Ah, the torture of package tracking. It's both a blessing and a curse.

Torture indeed. I need some full-size headphones on my head! 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Sorry for me newbieness to headphones.  I come from the two channel and home theater speaker world where a flat/linear response is generally regarded as a good thing.  I just got the HM5 and they sound great to me.  I don't find them boring.  The music sounds the way it was recorded.  I'd like to try other headphones though.  Can anyone comment on how the Denon would sound different?

It will be some weeks before I am able to tell you, Steve. Hopefully someone else can indulge us before then. Although, you may find FA-003 impressions between the two more readily available than the HM5.

Feb 18, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #74 of 111

Quote:
Can anyone compare the Denon to the Brainwavz HM5?

brainwavz hm5 are neutral as many have said.
the bass shows up when it's in the recording and disappears otherwise. 
however, if you listen to any kind of even mildly bass heavy music or are not used to the sound of flat/neutral speakers and headphones, the hm5's sound bass anemic.
the bass punch is there, but the subbass is not (quantity wise, not presence wise). in other words, if you listen to dubstep, you WILL want more out of them. unless you have an amazing amp.

anywayz. out of my want of moar bass. i got the d2ks. i'm happy. but in comparison, the bass of the d2ks are less punchy. it has mooooar subbass/bass quantity wise.
the mids of the d2ks sound recessed IN COMPARISON, not on its own. soundstage seems a tad bit bigger too.
sound leakage? the d2k's leak. while the hm5 only leak at high volume.
comfort? the d2k's basically rest on your head with a good seal. the hm5's feel tight yet comfortable. meaning. if you're doing some headbanging, the d2ks will fall off whereas the hm5's won't.
that's the quick gist from my view.

sorry for the wall of text.

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #75 of 111
I started the Markl mods on my D2000s, leaving out the ones that are more D5/D7K specific, and I'm really pleased so far. So far everything I've done has made an improvement, except I've lost response below 25Hz. That's a little annoying.

Any tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back