Denon AH-D2000's worth it?
Feb 13, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #31 of 111

Quote:
Okay guys I really don't know what to do... I want these headphones but I want good sound without having to buy an amp. I could MAYBE afford it but I don't know. I don't really want to need an amp because that would just make listening to music more confusing than it needs to be, but if the sound would really be THAT much different than say Beats, I guess it would be worth it... Couldn't I just change my EQ settings? What exactly would an amp do to improve the sound? And what amp should I get if I did buy these and get an amp? Would the Fiio E10 or E7 be good options?

James are you nifty at DIY? You can get all the parts needed to build your own O2 reference amp for $100 or pay an additional $50.00 to get the unit assembled. This is an amazing amp which crushes much more expensive amps.

Im sure you could live without an amp for a while and save up for one later. An amp will bring out the full potential in your denons but it's not necessarily a must.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #33 of 111

Quote:
Yea, the denon's sound really good unamped IMHO. Kinda depends on how loud you want them to be. 

Amping isn't only about volume. It's about bringing out the full potential in the headphones (dynamics, imaging, sound stage, quality bass). The Denons tend to sound muddy when not properly driven.

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #34 of 111

Quote:
Ok so I just called J&R and got a price of $210 shipped which I think is a very good deal.

I hate you..........

Quote:
Wow really?! That's an amazing deal. What did you say to them when you called? I've never ordered from J&R, nonetheless via their phone.

I just ordered them.........Went like this;

Me: Hey there CSR, I was gonna buy some headphones and a forum member said to call in and check current prices of a specific headphone.
CSR: Sure thing what headphones?
Me: J&R Item # DNN AHD2000
CSR: We have those atm for 249.99
Me: Really? hmmm my forum members were quoted quote a bit lower.
CSR: How much where they quoted?
Me: 210 shipped.
CSR: Give me a second
*went afk for about a min*
CSR: We can do 210 shipped.
Me: Alright I'll take them.
Me: "inside" *F'ing sweet! but I hate these damn Head-fi people always getting me to spend more cash *
tongue.gif

Quote:
You gotta haggle with them. Explain that you want to give them the sale but can they give you a worth while deal. Then bring up names of others who've gotten such a deal to help persuade them. I love haggling with people. Sure they hate me for it too :).

Lol

Quote:
Oh man 210 shipped is crazy... but what if I don't know anyone who got such a deal?

I can give you a second confirmation

Quote:
I didn't have to haggle at all. I'm just like, bro, give me your price, and he's like, yo, 210 with free shipping. I'm like aiite, dog. Then I gave him my credit card #.
If it doesn't work for you I can give you the extension of the guy I was in contact with.
Basically, if they quote high, you tell them that you heard of someone who got it for $190 or $200 shipped. They probably won't give you that price, but they may compromise at $210 or something. Then tell them that Amazon had it for $200 last week, or that Electronics Expo is cheap, or something. If you mention competitors I figure they'll get scared.

Pro, and again, I hate you so much right now......and so does my wallet
tongue.gif
  I was only checking the forums since I wanted to see if anyone had a good price on used 558/598. If no one had a good sale I was gonna go with Darkmart and buy some refurb 555's for sis and 558's for myself but somehow ended up here and now I still don't have a pair of open headphones but I have two closed (M50 and the D2000's on the way :D)

You guys know the funny thing though? The only reason I ever got the M50's was because I was settling since I couldn't really afford the D2000's and got my M50's for 90 bucks shipped, which by looking at the current  prices is an incredible steal. But at this price I finally get the headphones I wanted.

Anyways, If you decide to get them Jamesesesess JR is the place to get them and for $210 you get better headphones that look good and save you cash.
biggrin.gif

P.S. As a lurker around here I don't post much (as you can tell by my post count) but I wanted to just say thank you to you guys for always recommending great headphones and helping us uninformed audiophile noobs out. Thanks a bunch! 

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #35 of 111
Dunno if you should say "forum members" I think they would put more weight if you said you actually knew someone IRL. Secondly, someone ought to try saying $200 shipped or lower, and see if they bite.

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #36 of 111
Too bad JR don't ship to Europe, i want a-HD2000 so bad, but those who ship to europe ask 349 dollars without shipping included. Damn, i don't have that much money and it will take a while to save up another 150 dollars.

Feb 13, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #39 of 111

Quote:
Dunno if you should say "forum members" I think they would put more weight if you said you actually knew someone IRL. Secondly, someone ought to try saying $200 shipped or lower, and see if they bite.

True enough, but I wanted to tell people almost word for word. But yeah everyone just should say their friends got it at the same price but try 200 first XD. If you need the extension to the guy I got mine from just PM me for his extension.

Quote:
Too bad JR don't ship to Europe, i want a-HD2000 so bad, but those who ship to europe ask 349 dollars without shipping included. Damn, i don't have that much money and it will take a while to save up another 150 dollars.

:frowning2:

Quote:
Does anyone know what the shipping experience is with J&R to Canada?

Quote:
I'm interested to know that as well. What kind of price will they be asking for a D7000?

You guys should just call in, I wouldn't think it would be more than 25 bucks for shipping though. But  don't really know since I don't live in Canada so I'm 100% guessing.  Btw, awesome lurking Revelatio, I wish to be like you someday
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #40 of 111

Quote:
True enough, but I wanted to tell people almost word for word. But yeah everyone just should say their friends got it at the same price but try 200 first XD. If you need the extension to the guy I got mine from just PM me for his extension.

:frowning2:

You guys should just call in, I wouldn't think it would be more than 25 bucks for shipping though. But  don't really know since I don't live in Canada so I'm 100% guessing.  Btw, awesome lurking Revelatio, I wish to be like you someday
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I'm just going to answer my own question since I just called them. The lowest they can go for is $749. :frowning2: Which doesn't help me since after tax and shipping I'm going to pay close to MSRP $900+. I was all going to get the open box from Electronics Expo last week except they don't ship outside of the States.

Lol it's not awesome lurking. I was really happy with my DT990 for the longest time.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #44 of 111
Hey guys, I just got directed to head-fi.org by google and I saw how some of the users had haggled j&r down and it really interested me. I just called J&R and placed an order for some Denon D2000 for $200 shipped! I used the same method of calling in and telling them i saw a price online for 180 shipped...and he worked with me to 200 shipped. AWESOME! I JUST created an account to tell you guys this. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back