Denon AH-D2000 need opinions
Apr 4, 2012 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

wisher75

New Head-Fier
So I think I'm going to break down and buy these. However, I need some input. How is the bass compared to the ATH m50s? I want to feel the bass not just hear the punch. Also, comfort is extremely important to me. How are the highs, and mids, etc. Basically your overall opinion on the hp. 

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 24
The D2000 has a more visceral bass than the M50, you will feel it more. Depending on which version of M50 you have, the D2000 will also have quantitively less bass, but that doesn't really matter as much because you feel it more.

Comfort is something the D2000 beats the M50 the most at.

Lows are flatter, mids are a little bit even more recessed than the M50s, the highs extend better and at times more shrill. Overall the Denons have a more refined and clear sound with a larger soundstage.

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 24

Yes, you will be able to feel the bass. Thats why i love D2K's.
They're pretty comfy, but bulky.
Ultra-lows are boosted (thats why you feel the bass)
Lows are neutral (punch isn't overpowering, but still here)
Mids are flat
Highs are somewhat spikey (you can experience sibilance, or overall harshness sometimes)
Soundstage are wide.
Boosted ultra-lows and highs makes them really fun headphone, yet somewhat neutral because of flat mids.

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 24
I can only compare the D2000 to the Fisher 003.

Comparing those two seems not appropiate, the D2000 beats the Fisher in all aspects, excluding isolation (thats why i bought the fisher).

However regarding the comfort two things I would like to add:

1.) Lose
Some people claim the D2000 are a very lose fit. They are not entirely wrong. Depends on headshape/size if it bothers you or is still okay.
However if you know that you have a small head or know other headsets that are too lose for you, i.e. the k701, i would recommend to try those on.

2.) Headband
For long sessions (3+ hours) i find the D2000 headband insufficient. This is probably also due to my headshape, as i have this issue with a lot of headphones/headsets.

Besides those two points, I love the D2000. Probably one of the most satisfactory products I owned so far.

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 24
The d2k is one of my favorites for sure. One of the best sub bass extension and impact hp's out there. Good overall quality across the soundstage. At $200 it's a great buy also and works well with a variety of musical genres. 

I recommend this hp often because it's just fun to listen to. It is slightly loose on me but not enough to bother me. I am often bothered by headphones that clamp hard, so I'm fine with the looseness. 

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 24

Hello ! 

Just got the Denon AH D2000 and I'm no impressed nor like the sound quality... a 350$ (although payed 229$) phone that sounds to me like your in a cave cmon! this sucks., compare to the Sony's MDRV6 and Grados 225i I prefer any one over the Denon's. I agree they have great bass but the mids are way to recessed.

Any way, looking for a suggestion  on a great can for around 229$.

I mostly hear electronic, rock, indie, pop, and any thing really :) with iPod Classic 5G and Fiio e11

Thanks

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 24
Try audio technica a900 at $200 amazon new. You will have a good mid section. Bass is pretty good as well but it won't boost the sub bass. It's just have good natural bass. High is non spiky no shrill whatsoever.

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #8 of 24

Quote:

Hello ! 

Just got the Denon AH D2000 and I'm no impressed nor like the sound quality... a 350$ (although payed 229$) phone that sounds to me like your in a cave cmon! this sucks., compare to the Sony's MDRV6 and Grados 225i I prefer any one over the Denon's. I agree they have great bass but the mids are way to recessed.

I mostly hear electronic, rock, indie, pop, and any thing really :) with iPod Classic 5G and Fiio e11

Thanks

It's clear that you like a bright can and there aren't any I know of that are brighter than Grados.  The V-6's have been around forever and, while good, have been surpassed by newer entries like the Shure SRH 440. It's a $60 to $70 can.

The Denon is a darker sounding can with bass that destroys either the 225's or the V6's.  It's even better than the Grado 325, which is the most bass prominent of the Grado SR line.  All of this is accomplished without the D2000 being just a basshead can.  I rate the D2000 as one of the top mid-fi cans, along with the very different AKG Q 701 and Beyer DT 880 Pro.

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
Try audio technica a900 at $200 amazon new. You will have a good mid section. Bass is pretty good as well but it won't boost the sub bass. It's just have good natural bass. High is non spiky no shrill whatsoever.

I have the a900.  It delivers decent bass (but far less than the D2000 and no sub bass to speak of--which the D2000 will give you), but is probably the most lifeless headphone I own.  It's not bad.  It's just not good.  Although very efficient, the a900 sounds better when amped.

I'd pick the D2000 over the a900 in a heart beat.

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #10 of 24

Quote:
So I think I'm going to break down and buy these. However, I need some input. How is the bass compared to the ATH m50s? I want to feel the bass not just hear the punch. Also, comfort is extremely important to me. How are the highs, and mids, etc. Basically your overall opinion on the hp. 

The M50 has prominent bass, but the D2000 beats it hands down--more, better + sub bass that the M50 can't match.  The Denon also beats the M50 in all other respects, except for isolation and portability.

Apr 5, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #11 of 24
I recently acquired a D2K and i gotta say its VERY overhyped on this site, no offense.  Sure the bass is stronger than the M50 and the mids are too recessed, which makes it a boring headphone to listen to.

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #12 of 24
To me the denon can has plenty of sparkle in the treble, some would even call it a bit bright. How are you listening to music...source, quality of your music ect?

Quote:

Hello ! 

Thanks

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
To me the denon can has plenty of sparkle in the treble, some would even call it a bit bright. How are you listening to music...source, quality of your music ect?

I agree they have sparkle treble, but i don't like the "much" recessed mids and sub bass hump.

I'm listening mp3's @320 and Lossless files through an iPod Classic 5G 80GB + Fiio e11. Mostly Electronic, Rock, Indie, Pop, Instrumental. 

Thanks

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #14 of 24
They're not overhyped, they're just very polarizing. They have a coloration that people either love or hate to no end. If you look more on head-fi you'll see people who either praise them or say they're the worst headphones on the market. It's kind of the same with the Grados, people either love them or they straight up hate them. For me they edged out the poster child of head-fi: HD650, in a straight up comparison so I'm one of the people that loves them. What they lack in upper mids they make up in linear extension straight down to 30hz, and very prominent and flat lower mids. Recessed upper mids makes things like electric guitars and some brass less aggressive and fun, but at the same time makes them even more laid back than something like the HD650. They do a nice balancing act with the treble spike. They have a sub-bass hump of maybe like 1-2db, but that's it. If anything they just decay slower in the bass.

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #15 of 24
I use flac, 320, and all that fun stuff. Honestly though, I mostly listen to exfm when at my computer. Not sure what the quality, probably not great but has any song I  want to listen to. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back