Denon AH-D2000 in the house
May 2, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #166 of 933
Congrats tomjonesrocks
cool.gif
-nice to read your impressions..

Any of you guys know if there are some earpads out there that will fit the D2000..? I'm looking to find some that will reduce the bass.. My DIY earpads I use at the moment are not that comfortable (or good looking)
icon10.gif

May 2, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #167 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by niknik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any of you guys know if there are some earpads out there that will fit the D2000..? I'm looking to find some that will reduce the bass.. My DIY earpads I use at the moment are not that comfortable (or good looking)
icon10.gif

Andrew said earlier that they had the same diameter cups as the Beyers. Maybe if he's still reading he could test and see if they're interchangeable.
wink.gif

May 2, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #168 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only the headband seems somewhat cheap with a very thin fabric coating what seems to be some cheap thin plastic, but even that has a very nice touch to it.

What fabric, isn't that leather, feels like one?

May 2, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #170 of 933
Quote:

One question--where is the "Made in China" or "Made In Japan" identifier on these?

On the back of the box. At the very bottom.

May 2, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #171 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me it's a huge slam dunk over the A900's (haven't heard the HD25-1's). That's just my preference, though (I don't like the A900's due to midrange weirdness).

I'd love to see comparison between the ATH-AD2000's in your sig and the Denons.

Perhaps I'm just a fan of the A900 presentation, and I have a *long* way to go on truly coming to a conclusion on these phones, but my initial feeling is that A900s actually do handle at least *some* tracks better than the D2000s. That doesn't mean I'm leaning towards the A900--and I could very well be alone in that opinion. The A900s are not as laid back as the D2000 and deliver some things with more energy. The D2000 is more refined and definitely extends deeper than the A900 (though I think the overall bass slam/impact is greater in the A900). Bass is truly remarkable with the D2000 though. On Alice In Chains' "Sludge Factory", for instance, there's a huge deep boom in the track right before the first verse I've never heard before on any other phone. The A900 barely picks it up, but it's *thunderous* with the D2000. Unbelievable. I surely must have heard the track on DT770s and never noticed it.

On the other hand, with searing guitar, I'm tending to favor A900. On U2's "Vertigo", for instance, the first riff (that comes across only in the right channel) on A900 sounds like a chainsaw. Extremely bold and energetic--electrifying. It sounds just fine on D2000, but perhaps a bit too polite by comparison. It more accurately renders the material perhaps, but it's more casual about it. It doesn't seem to shake you as much. I'm not sure a big-bass closed phone is an ideal choice for this type of music regardless, but it's worth a mention for all-around capabilities.

Again, it's early, but I feel like the D2000 is extremely strong, at the very least, with downtempo electronic music. Ulrich Schnauss sounds fantastic with these--flawless. A900 sounds great with this music as well--but I still give a slight edge to D2000 it.

A900 is more up-front than the D2000 though, no doubt about it. The comfort isn't even close. D2000 hands down.

Still have a long way to go trying various things in my catalog evaluating them. At least I've ordered something that's giving A900 a good run. DT150s, DT770s, and K271S got basically run out of the gym at my place going against them (though the K271S primarily because I happened to find them fatiguing). It may be unfair right now also because the A900s have some hours on them and burn-in hasn't even started on the D2000s.

As far as the D2000 vs. AD2000 comparison, I'm possibly the wrong person to ask as I've never heard a phone as good overall as the AD2000--these included. It doesn't have the bass quantity of either of these closed phones or others (which is why I still want another pair), but it's a *phenomenal* headphone that outclasses either A900 or D2000 by a very wide margin overall. I could go into more detail, but that sums it up. That headphone is on a pretty high on a pedestal with me. I can't imagine something outclassing it that I can afford right now (though, admittedly, I've never heard RS1s or RS2s so perhaps I need to reserve judgment until I hear them). Of course, it has the distinct advantage of being open and over $200 more expensive than the D2000. The pads and fit (stock) on the ATH-AD2000 are very strange though so the comfort nod would go to D2000 on that.

I might need to clarify a statement I made above though. The D2000 does indeed sound noticeably better on my MicroDAC > Headfive rig than it does coming straight out of my Ipod. So it does, apparently, scale to some degree. Still would sound quite serviceable on an unamped rig though, was my point. Assume perhaps then it would sound even better with superior DACs/Amps--though I'm a *slight* skeptic on both.

May 2, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #172 of 933
I have one question regarding the AD2000 vs D2000 if you don't mind: how would you compare their sense of attack - that is, their dynamic slam (mid and high frequencies), their punch (bass), and liveliness?

May 2, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #173 of 933
Quote:

One question--where is the "Made in China" or "Made In Japan" identifier on these?

On the headband, at the top of the left cup.

May 2, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #174 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have one question regarding the AD2000 vs D2000 if you don't mind: how would you compare their sense of attack - that is, their dynamic slam (mid and high frequencies), their punch (bass), and liveliness?

Are AD2000 and W5000 really that different to totally dislike one and like another?

May 2, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #175 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

IMO, and I qualify this by saying my opinion is not always in line with everyone else's--I think the AD2000's attack and slam in mids and highs, as well as liveliness are all far beyond the D2000. It's frankly not even close. The AD2000 is "alive" like no other phone this side of Grados that I've heard (which burn and fatigue my ears to no end which AD2000s somehow manage not to). So the translation is that ATH-AD2000 walk on anything I've heard this side of Grado for rock music, period.

AD2000s somehow have great bass *extension* but their signature is not bass-heavy. Quite the contrary. It can extend but it's not "full" continuously in comparison to many closed phones. I wouldn't say it's "thin" by any stretch--but if your yardstick is D2000, yes, it would be thin. Basically they have more bass quantity than K701 but are on par (IMO) with HD650s bass-wise (IMO--and also superior in every other way to HD650s) if you've heard either. Others of course, are free to, and do, disagree. I would not recommend ATH-AD2000s as basshead phones though. They're rock and all-around music headphones more than a specialty headphone (IMO). If you listen to only to hip hop or similar exclusively that requires continuous bass quantity I most likely wouldn't recommend AD2000s. If you need an "all-arounder" though...they're *very* hard to beat.

I have to say though, I've been looking for a closed headphone as a compliment to my AD2000s and it's been *very* difficult to find. Switching between AD2000s to A900 is a large leap downward in SQ (as is anything I've heard that can be considered a "big bass" headphone). If I had $2500 laying around I'd probably just buy L3000s and get it over with, but in the meantime, I'm settling for checking out the D2000s
wink.gif

*transitions back to D2000 impressions*

This is again, still, initial impressions, but I can't help but feel vocals on D2000s are a bit too recessed for my tastes. Would like to hear opinions of others on this. Perhaps that will settle after some burn-in.

May 2, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #176 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are AD2000 and W5000 really that different to totally dislike one and like another?

Never heard the W5000. Would love to, as I'm a AT "fan", but the amp requirements and reports of "thinnish" bass have put me off. From what I've read, the phones are quite different though.

May 2, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #177 of 933
Quote:

Never heard the W5000. Would love to, as I'm a AT "fan", but the amp requirements and reports of "thinnish" bass have put me off. From what I've read, the phones are quite different though.

I bet it should be inline with AD2000, may be better quality wise.

May 2, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #179 of 933
Quote:

I haven't a clue, hence all the questions
eggosmile.gif
I owned the W5000 and know its sound very well....never had the opportunity to thear the AD2000 though; and only had a brief few hours with the Denon D5000.

May 2, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #180 of 933
Quote:

I bet it should be inline with AD2000, may be better quality wise.

Perhaps if you have an amp that's capable of bringing out the best in W5000s that may be true. I understand they're unquestionably the most amp-dependent phone in AT's lineup right now though. High-end amp dependency annoys me personally so I suspect they're not a good choice for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back