Denon AH-D2000: Dead driver, question about repairs...
Jan 31, 2013 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

KiruDub

New Head-Fier
My trusty old Denons had the right side driver go dead on me.

When the driver died, I was listening to some music, and heard crackling with bass notes. This problem has been intermittent over the years. I tapped the ear cup out of frustration, and lost all sound to that side. Sigh. Note that they've been dropped twice over the years, but otherwise have never left my recording studio.

The problem could be the cable, which, as you all know, is prone to twisting, and tangling. While the cable looks OK for it's age, there's always the chance that wire has been broken somewhere along the line due to repeated crimping.

But, it could be the driver itself. 

I've been in touch with Panurgy, the Denon repair shop in NJ, and according to them, will be out @ $60 (including shipping) just for them to look at it.

Yes, they cost me $300 new, but before I go any further, I wanted to know if there are any ways to confirm that the driver is indeed dead, since if it's the cable causing the problem, I can re-cable the cans myself.

So... back in the day, you could take a 9 volt battery, attach leads to the +/-, touch the other ends of the leads to the corresponding speaker terminals, and you'd hear a click.

I tried that with the Denons, and got nothing (even on the side that works).

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 5
I'd try a recable with a cheap cable first

Feb 5, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the reply, KimChee. I'd rather not re-cable until I can find out if the driver is dead or not.

Any tips on how to find that out?

Thanks again!

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #5 of 5
Yeah, I'm probably going to just send them in once the 28" of snow that fell last weekend becomes more manageable.

I'll give an updated once I get them back (if they're even fixable).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back