Denon AH-D2000 cord question
Jul 3, 2007 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

mcmyers

100+ Head-Fier
I'm about to get swept up in the FOTM madness, but I have one last question. The one complaint everybody has about these headphones is the cord. What exactly is the problem? I understand it's easily tangled, but can't you wrap most of it up in a small coil and cinch it with twist ties or something? If not, I don't think I'm going to buy it.

Let me know what your problems with the cord have been. Pictures would be especially helpful.

Thanks.

Jul 3, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 18
Sure you can. Personally, I've had no problems with it.

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 18
It's something you just have to get used to and deal with it. The cord doesn't like to lay flat and isn't very flexible. It fights when I try to run it neatly along across my desk to keep it out of the way and if I ever coil it up and then try to pick it up suddenly I get to spend a few seconds untangling it.

The cord for the AKG K701s is the sweetest cord I've seen on a pair of headphones and the D2000 cord is just the opposite. Does it keep me from using the Denon's? Oh, hell no.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 18
Not a problem here. As you say, I have it coiled with a velcro tie... You must come to understand, we here pick apsrt any and all differences to monumental proportions when in fact there otherwise would be very little else to complain about... But it is true, the cord is less than one could imagine as being a best effort in an otherwise outstanding phone, and in comparison to the compitions cords which the overly anal retentive here would also replace too...

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't recommend coiling the cable, because it will affect the sound. inductors are coiled, cables are straight.

And some people raise their I/Cs above the surface for better isolation too, highly suggested!

Jul 6, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't recommend coiling the cable, because it will affect the sound. inductors are coiled, cables are straight.

Don't think anyone will hear the difference.

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And some people raise their I/Cs above the surface for better isolation too, highly suggested!

Bill, could you explain the IC surface post? Raise the IC above
which surface? Forgive the ignorance, WW

Jul 6, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 18
Please don't rule out Denons because of the cord. Yes, it is the weakest point in the design but you can coil it as you suggested and I can't really hear a difference between straight cable and a cable that has been coiled in few rounds.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please don't rule out Denons because of the cord. Yes, it is the weakest point in the design but you can coil it as you suggested and I can't really hear a difference between straight cable and a cable that has been coiled in few rounds.
smily_headphones1.gif

x2 I don't have any problem with the cable.

Jul 6, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #12 of 18
cotdt and I recabled mine in about 30 minutes on the fourth. The wire is quite thin braided copper in a rubber tube with the mutifilliment over the top. I didn't mind the sound and the cord was usable especially how light it is. I've recabled for balanced now, still waiting on the Apache though....

Apr 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #13 of 18

the easy fix is to strip off the shoelace jacket. the inner cable is rubber and is basically very similar to the cable on the K701.

Sorry to revive old thread but if anyone has stripped the cloth cover off the cord like this can they tell how exactly they did it? Any pics of finished result? Would doing this when the warranty is still active invalidate the warranty?

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #14 of 18
The D2K cable is bulky, heavy, and awkwardly long; as far as cables go, it's bizarre the such amazing headphones would be matched with such a cumbersome cable.

However, unlike other physical attributes like how comfortable they are on my head, in regards to how I actually rate/assess my D2Ks, the cable themselves never even comes close to being taken as a 'strike against' the headphones.

The fact is that the D2Ks are designed and marketed solely as hi-fi headphones; using them 'on the go' would present all sorts of challenges, and the gigantic awkward cable being only one of several problems in this area. The assumption is that the D2Ks will used in a stationary and comfortable position, and thus the cable will be a relative non-issue once you get settled into your listening.

Personally, I coiled most of the cord and secured it with a mini ziptie, and this has worked perfectly the entire time I've had them. Yes, this is one of the worst designed cables on a hi-fi headphones, but that's exactly the point because on a h-fi headphones the cable is a rather inconsequential part, and at the end of the day, the D2Ks cumbersome cable has all of ZERO effect on my overall experience with them.

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
The D2K cable is bulky, heavy, and awkwardly long; as far as cables go, it's bizarre the such amazing headphones would be matched with such a cumbersome cable.

However, unlike other physical attributes like how comfortable they are on my head, in regards to how I actually rate/assess my D2Ks, the cable themselves never even comes close to being taken as a 'strike against' the headphones.

The fact is that the D2Ks are designed and marketed solely as hi-fi headphones; using them 'on the go' would present all sorts of challenges, and the gigantic awkward cable being only one of several problems in this area. The assumption is that the D2Ks will used in a stationary and comfortable position, and thus the cable will be a relative non-issue once you get settled into your listening.

Personally, I coiled most of the cord and secured it with a mini ziptie, and this has worked perfectly the entire time I've had them. Yes, this is one of the worst designed cables on a hi-fi headphones, but that's exactly the point because on a h-fi headphones the cable is a rather inconsequential part, and at the end of the day, the D2Ks cumbersome cable has all of ZERO effect on my overall experience with them.

I'd also like to add that if after listening to the D2Ks you find the cable a major source of contention, than it's 100% obvious that you care far more about nit-picking inconsequential details than you do about listening to well built, well priced serious hi-fi equipment. Which is totally fine, just don't go around parading like you actually care about little things like the sound and comfort and price of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back