Denon AH D2000 - Amplifier for about 150€/$
Oct 26, 2012 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Snake57

New Head-Fier
So, after searching for a few days now, i just can't seem to find exactly what i am looking for. (I have used the search function and read through several threads also allready)

I am searching for an Amplifier (or an Soundcard if applicable for following criteria) for my Denon AH D2000's the Price should not exceed 150 Dollars, or the equivalent of this cost in €.
It should be available in Europe. (i have actually taken a look at the c421 OPA2227 AMP, but it seems to completely unavailable in Europe right now).

Primarily i listen to FLAC / 320kb/s mp3's and am currently using an Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCIe
Soundcard. (I often listen to Bass heavy music this includes, but is not limited to; Glitch Hop, Moombahcore, Dubstep, Electro, and Drum and Bass.

Following criteria should be met:

- Has to have a higher volume output than with my current setup, since it often can be too quiet.
- Must deliver good sound for Games as well
- Should sound "fun", rather than analytical.
- Possibility for "Bass Boost", (in several steps would be perfect) without totally drowning the Details.
- Possibility to use on a 2011, 13" Macbook Air
- I would love for it to be portable, but it is not neccesary if i really can get better sound with a "stationary" Amplifier.

Please keep in mind, i am (obviously) pretty new in this category, so even though i have done a lot of research and know a few terms, i would really appreciate technical Terms explained briefly if possible.
I basically just want to get a little more out of my beloved D2k's.

I really hope someone can help me out with this decision

Best Regards
Richard

P.S i have narrowed down one Amplifier which MIGHT be suitable, that would be the Fiio E17 Alpen, recommendable or can i get something better for my budget?

Oct 26, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:
P.S I have narrowed down one Amplifier which MIGHT be suitable, that would be the Fiio E17 Alpen, recommendable or can i get something better for my budget?

I would say the Fiio E17 is a fine choice, you can plug it into the Xonar DX's optical jack and get Dolby Headphone surround sound thru the E17.
I was going to recommend the Fiio E11 because it's lowered priced, but it can not be used while being recharged, but it's only a few dollars more to get a few spare batteries.

Oct 26, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 13
Thank you for the quick answer!
So the E17 can be charged while beeing used, and the E11 can't? The E17 would then definitely be the first choice of these two then.
Do you know anything about how these two sound in comparison?

Oct 26, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
Thank you for the quick answer!
So the E17 can be charged while being used, and the E11 can't? The E17 would then definitely be the first choice of these two then.
Do you know anything about how these two sound in comparison?

Power wise the E11 can output a little more juice.
With the E11 plugged into the Xonar DX's line-out jack and the E17 connected with optical, I'm going to "guess" they would sound equally as good.
Xonar DX, CS4398 DAC chip
Fiio E17, WM8740 DAC chip

With the E17, your using the DAC outside of the computer case, so avoiding any electrical noise inside the computer case, which can affect analog audio signals.
If the computer case even has an electrical noise issue.

Oct 26, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
Power wise the E11 can output a little more juice.
With the E11 plugged into the Xonar DX's line-out jack and the E17 connected with optical, I'm going to "guess" they would sound equally as good.
Xonar DX, CS4398 DAC chip
Fiio E17, WM8740 DAC chip

With the E17, your using the DAC outside of the computer case, so avoiding any electrical noise inside the computer case, which can affect analog audio signals.
If the computer case even has an electrical noise issue.

E17 connected via optical? Care to elaborate?
I don't think my case has a electrical noise issue, it's the Cooler Master Cosmos S (mostly aluminum). 

Oct 26, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
E17 connected via optical? Care to elaborate?
I don't think my case has a electrical noise issue, it's the Cooler Master Cosmos S (mostly aluminum). 

The Xonar DX comes with an optical output and can send Dolby Headphone 5.1 surround sound thru the optical output (and surround sound gaming) and basic 2-channel stereo music audio.
The Fiio E17 has an optical input, when the E17 is connected to the Xonar DX (optical cable) and headphones connected to the E17, your using the E17 as a DAC and headphone amplifier.
Your case might not have an electrical noise issue, but I thought I should at least bring up the point.

Oct 26, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
The Xonar DX comes with an optical output and can send Dolby Headphone 5.1 surround sound thru the optical output (and surround sound gaming) and basic 2-channel stereo music audio.
The Fiio E17 has an optical input, when the E17 is connected to the Xonar DX (optical cable) and headphones connected to the E17, your using the E17 as a DAC and headphone amplifier.
Your case might not have an electrical noise issue, but I thought I should at least bring up the point.

Optical output? Just to clear things up (picture) i am connected to the front jack, at least according to this picture...
http://www.9final.com/computer/images/product_20082/asus_xonar_dx_03.jpg
So either the Xonar DX doesn't have an Optical output, or i have to search for a cable...

Oct 26, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
Optical output? Just to clear things up (picture) i am connected to the front jack, at least according to this picture...
http://www.9final.com/computer/images/product_20082/asus_xonar_dx_03.jpg
So either the Xonar DX doesn't have an Optical output, or i have to search for a cable...

The S/PDIF out/line-in/mic port just next to the Front speaker/line-out/headphone jack is the S/PDIF Toslink optical output port (among other things).
I believe the Xonar DX comes with an adapter to convert the 3.5mm jack into a Toslink optical port.

Oct 26, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
The S/PDIF out/line-in/mic port just next to the Front speaker/line-out/headphone jack is the S/PDIF Toslink optical output port (among other things).
I believe the Xonar DX comes with an adapter to convert the 3.5mm jack into a Toslink optical port.

I have a microphone plugged in the SPDIF out/Line in/Mic in jack, so i wouldn't be able to use that?
So i would have to connect an Adapter to the "SPDIF out/Line in/Mic in jack" then connect the Adapter to the E17, and then just connect the Headphone into the Amplifier (E17)?
Can't i just connect the E17 to my "Front jack?" Or have i entirely missed the point then? 
confused.gif

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

I have a microphone plugged in the SPDIF out/Line in/Mic in jack, so i wouldn't be able to use that?
So i would have to connect an Adapter to the "SPDIF out/Line in/Mic in jack" then connect the Adapter to the E17, and then just connect the Headphone into the Amplifier (E17)?
Can't i just connect the E17 to my "Front jack?" Or have i entirely missed the point then? 
confused.gif

Use your E17 (AUX input) as an amplifier only connected to the computer case's front panel headphone jack, that works.

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
I am sorry, i have another question... Should i be using Low or High gain? And is there difference in the sound between the two, or is High gain just louder?

With the Denon AH-D2000. low gain setting should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back