Denon AH-D1100 vs Beyerdynamic DT770
Nov 18, 2011 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

iLikeJarJar

New Head-Fier
Hello.

Couple questions. Which one has the wider soundstage and which one has more bass (quantity wise)?

Also, could you say which model of the DT770 you're referring to? Thanks!

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 9
770 on both counts. 

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #3 of 9
Actually they are close in both regards. I'd give the soundstage to DT770 Pro/80 ohm (this is the only very bassy version) as it sounds a bit unnatural in some way on D1100 (artificially enhanced). But I'd give bass quantity to D1100, they are like in-between XB700 and XB500 in bass while DT770 is a bit behind. The bass on those two are very different though. DT770 got a very deep bass focus but not so much midbass while D1100 got less subbass presence but A LOT more midbass. DT770 has like way above average subbass output but perhaps below average midbass output while D1100 has like about average/slightly above average subbass presence while midbass is among there with the strongest midbass headphones out there (now I'm just comparing among closed bassy headphones). Since midbass is way stronger on D1100 and not far behind in subbass it's got more bass than DT770. Then it's up to you what you're looking for.

Subbass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyKrCnYK4ns
Midbass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpgzpxVk7qU

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Actually they are close in both regards. I'd give the soundstage to DT770 Pro/80 ohm (this is the only very bassy version) as it sounds a bit unnatural in some way on D1100 (artificially enhanced). But I'd give bass quantity to D1100, they are like in-between XB700 and XB500 in bass while DT770 is a bit behind. The bass on those two are very different though. DT770 got a very deep bass focus but not so much midbass while D1100 got less subbass presence but A LOT more midbass. DT770 has like way above average subbass output but perhaps below average midbass output while D1100 has like about average/slightly above average subbass presence while midbass is among there with the strongest midbass headphones out there (now I'm just talking about closed bassy headphones). Since midbass is way stronger on D1100 and not far behind in subbass it's got more bass than DT770.

Interesting. Thanks.

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Hello.

Couple questions. Which one has the wider soundstage and which one has more bass (quantity wise)?

Also, could you say which model of the DT770 you're referring to? Thanks!

Are open headphones an option ?

Soundstage + Bass = DT990Pro

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Are open headphones an option ?

Soundstage + Bass = DT990Pro

Yeah, I was considering the DT990s, but I just wanted to get a comparison of the two, because the D1100s intrigue me for the price since they seem to share a lot of traits of the DT770 80Ohm version.

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 9
Heya,

I have both and I have to say, the D1100 sounds like a metallic tinny sounding weird headphone. It's treble is just weird. It's like it has some weird spikes and just sounds really robotic or synthetic. It's not warm and musical to me at all. The DT770 on the other hand, while bright, has a lot warmer signature to my ears and sounds less like a strange unnatural sound. Bass was pretty similar on the two, both can hit hard and low and are great for bass. Both isolate rather well. Massive bonus points to the DT770 for comfort (velour pads) and style. The D1100 is one of the ugliest headbands in existence. Also size of cups are larger on the DT770 and feel more spacious. Sound stages are good on both. Between them, the DT770 simply is the superior headphone. The D1100 can fold/flex a little more so is a bit more portable, but with how it sounds, I'm unsure how it carries the price tag that it does.

Check out the HTF600 if you want bass+soundstage on a dime. Fantastic headphone.

Very best,

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Heya,

I have both and I have to say, the D1100 sounds like a metallic tinny sounding weird headphone. It's treble is just weird. It's like it has some weird spikes and just sounds really robotic or synthetic. It's not warm and musical to me at all. The DT770 on the other hand, while bright, has a lot warmer signature to my ears and sounds less like a strange unnatural sound. Bass was pretty similar on the two, both can hit hard and low and are great for bass. Both isolate rather well. Massive bonus points to the DT770 for comfort (velour pads) and style. The D1100 is one of the ugliest headbands in existence. Also size of cups are larger on the DT770 and feel more spacious. Sound stages are good on both. Between them, the DT770 simply is the superior headphone. The D1100 can fold/flex a little more so is a bit more portable, but with how it sounds, I'm unsure how it carries the price tag that it does.

Check out the HTF600 if you want bass+soundstage on a dime. Fantastic headphone.

Very best,

Very accurately described. Would have to totally agree with you, to me D1100 was a weird sounding headphone for those above mentioned things, far from musical indeed. I like musical and warm sounding headphones and D1100 was the opposite, thin, weird synthetic highs, artificial soundstage, it was a really big dissappointment to me but no1 had really given any accurate description on it so I decided to be the guinea pig. DT770 sounded way more natural even if it was possibly slightly brighter sounded still more warm and musical haha.

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Heya,

Very best,

Oh. Thank you very much. This was very helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back