Denon AH-D1001 vs. ....
Dec 15, 2008 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

aznxenocide

New Head-Fier
I'm a first-time poster, and I've been reading through a couple of the threads in the forum, but I didn't want to jack anyone else's thread, so I decided to make my own. Pretty much though, I'm looking to upgrade my headphones. I have the Everglide S500 headphones (that I got off of woot), Ultimate Ears Metro.fi 2 earphones, and Sennheiser cx300's (which are terrible).

I'm going to be using these headphones with my iPod, probably listening to a mix of rap, rock, techno and classical music, and probably a lot of other stuff in between, so I need something that's fairly balanced between bass and treble. I also need something that can block out a good deal of sound without having to turn the volume all the way up.

I'm looking at the Denon AH-D1001's right now, and based on all the reviews I've read, they're pretty much awesome. I was also looking at the Technics RP-DH1200's, and they looked pretty similar, just a bit cheaper. My roommate has the Sony MDR-xxxxx series, but they sounded a bit weak, and besides, if we got the same phones, it wouldn't be that cool. I figure DJ-quality headphones would be ideal for me, since they've got the emphasis on bass and treble, and should be able to block out sound pretty well. I also considered getting the Grado SR60's, but I kind of feel like I should invest in some super-nice Grado's later on when I've got more money. I'm looking to spend less than $150, give or take a couple bucks. Any suggestions?

Dec 15, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 17
D1001s will excel for rap, but do rock and electronic well too. Though not the sturdiest-feeling, they certainly are comfortable and will easily satisfy bassheads.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznxenocide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also need something that can block out a good deal of sound without having to turn the volume all the way up.

Then remove the D1001 from your consideration, because it provides almost zero isolation. Look at the ES7 instead.

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 17
Interesting, because Headroom specifically mentions the D1001K's for use when DJ'ing, which I wouldn't seem to make sense if they have almost zero isolation. Thanks for the ES7 suggestion though.

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznxenocide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, because Headroom specifically mentions the D1001K's for use when DJ'ing, which I wouldn't seem to make sense if they have almost zero isolation.

No, Headroom does not say anything about DJ'ing with the D1001:

"The isolation factor is decent but will not completely attenuate all ambient noise due to the smaller earpad sizing and loose comfy fit. Still, the D1001 does provide respectable "leakage" protection from the earcups to the outside world, important if listening in very quiet settings where you don't want to disturb your neighbor."

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #8 of 17
@1time: ah, right, guess I remembered it incorrectly.

Is there a difference between the D1001's and the D1001K's? There seems to be a difference on Amazon, but I can't quite tell what it is.

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, the D1001s are not great for classical.

Agreed. They also royally suck for piano.

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #11 of 17
If you don't mind pressure on your ears, the best sealed headphones (in terms of balancing sound quality and blocking out sound) are probably the Sennheiser HD 25-1-II.

I have the Denon 1001 right now, and I used to have the HD 25-1-II. The Denons are way more comfortable, but sound worse and block out less sound. I would have kept the Senns if I'd been able to wear them for more than a half hour without sore ears. New, they're out of your price range, but they come up for sale used every so often and then they should be in your budget. They're worth a try.

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #13 of 17
the ES7 is often compared with the D1001, but it also has a tight clamp and is not as comfortable as the D1001. a lot of people seem to say it is a bit more forward sounding, while the D1001 is a bit warmer. although, people in this thread are saying the D1001 is bad for classical.

How do you guys feel the ES7 stacks up in terms of classical music? or Rock music?

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #15 of 17
When I say bad for classical, I don't mean BAD, I just mean not as good. They still tackle classical music very well compared to other cans in this same price category.

You could look into doing some Mods on it to refine them. There's the Dynamat mod which controls and tightens up the bass a little more, and there's also a recabling mod which is supposed to improve everything all around.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rec...-d1000-353941/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mar...-d1000-350167/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back