Denon AH-D1001...OMG
Aug 25, 2008 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 140

jonathanjong

Headphoneus Supremus
So...frigging...comfortable. I just received my 1001s in the mail today. I've read oodles about how comfortable they were, but oh my goodness. It's like...erm, I have a dodgy metaphor I won't say, but oh my goodness.

Anyway, just reporting in with my new cans. More on sound later on.

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:22 AM Post #2 of 140
Whered you nab these from fellow new zealander? :p And for how much??

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 140
hifionline on TradeMe. Great trader, much much cheaper than RRP. I got them for NZ$150 (and $10 shipping). He has them once a week or so. I can ask him to put some up sooner if you want.

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 140
The headphones are some of the most comfortable I have worn. The D2000 beats it IMO but this sure is close. Smaller eared people should like it even more.

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 140
Not much burn in so far, but here are very brief first impressions:

1. There is no isolation, against sound coming in. Bizarre for sealed headphones, but there we are. I have both the MacBook and iTunes volumes at 50%, and I can hear conversation.

2. Sound does leak out, but this can be avoided by (a) adjusting the cups well, and (b) not blasting it loud enough to make you go deaf. (b) should be done anyway though this is gonna be tough in a noisy environment given #1 above.

3. I don't know if this is just because it doesn't isolate well, but it's not very loud. I can't listen to classical (e.g., Mozart's Requiem) in a cafe, with just three other small conversations around (i.e., not a busy Starbucks). Can't hear the quieter bits. So...maybe the claims that this can go unamped are not entirely accurate. Then again, it might just be the lack of isolation.

4. These do Rock brilliantly. They do. I have Smoke on the Water on at the moment, and I can hear all the instruments clearly separated: Guitar riffs, high hat, vocals... They do female vocals well too (e.g., Sarah Brightman, Alison Krauss). Clear, and not too sibilant. And I'm glad report, they're good for jazz. Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Diana Krall. All good. The highs aren't too harsh (e.g., Davis's Flamenco Sketches), and the details are brought out in a way my cheap HD201s didn't do. There's depth as well...soundstage? I can hear the sax in the "front" and the piano to the side and the drum softly but clearly behind the sax. Brilliant.

5. They don't do chamber music as well (e.g., Mozart's Requiem), but I'm hoping that'll change with some burn-in. Ditto for other classical-ish stuff, actually (e.g., Joshua Bell, Maxim Vengerov, Boston Symphony Orchestra). So, not a great choice for instrumentals at the moment.

So far so good for Rock, Jazz, and Vocals. Not so good for classical-ish instrumental pieces. I'm no audiophile, but for the US$110 I spent, these are great!

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by spronkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whered you nab these from fellow new zealander? :p And for how much??

No way, you from Chch too!
We have three Head-fi'ers now in Chch!
Me, Fraserboy and now spronkey!

*need meetup!*

One more exclamation mark for good measure!

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hifionline on TradeMe. Great trader, much much cheaper than RRP. I got them for NZ$150 (and $10 shipping). He has them once a week or so. I can ask him to put some up sooner if you want.

Still havn't got my C700's yet :/........

Aug 26, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 140
just ordered these and got an email today saying they shipped. Ordered from buy.com for only $76 (inc. free ship and 5% off coup)
tongue_smile.gif
can't wait to hear these babies. Hopefully theyll arrive before i get wisdom teeth pulled so i can chill with these and hopefully vicoden...

Aug 26, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #12 of 140
I can't recommend the D1001's enough. After a heap of burn in the mid-treble has refined quite a lot.

Aug 26, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #13 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yep.

How long has it been? So far, I've gotten my stuff within a week, even with a weekend thrown in. I've bought from hifionline twice now.

Aug 26, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #14 of 140
I've been interested in these for a long time, but can someone please tell me exactly how much sound they actually do leak?

i need some headphones that won't annoy fellow deskmates in quiet work situations. I was hoping these would be the ones....

Aug 26, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #15 of 140
They leak sound in plenty, but not too much out. Let's see...at 3/4 volumes on both the iMac and iTunes, playing rock, the leakage will be annoying in a quiet situation (to people sitting 1 to 2 metres away). At half, it's barely noticeable. So, the leakage is not entirely monodirectional, sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back