Denon AH-7200
Jan 3, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #2,822 of 3,156
I’m curious, does anyone in this thread have familiarity with the old Denon line?

I believe it was the late 90s when Denon released the AH-D550, AH-D750, and AH-D950.

I was given the D750 a couple years ago not knowing anything about them. A friend of a friend’s apartment was being cleared and these were beaten to hell, old, cheap, crappy looking headphones sitting in a junk pile in the apartment. I was offered them because the friend knew I liked headphones. So I said sure.

I expected to listen to them once and then toss them in the garbage or in a drawer at best.

Turns out holy crap, these sound really good! They were so much better than I expected. So I cleaned them up, bought some new pads, and now they’re a respected part of my collection.

Anyways, I say all that because I’m wondering if current Denons are anything like those. The current Denons are visually much nicer (wood vs plastic) and far more expensive. But I’m wondering if they share a similar sound.

Jan 11, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #2,824 of 3,156
While this headphone is very good, I've come to find some things quite annoying about it.

Bass is clean and tight for the most part but certain frequencies are lacking clarity, it has a messy texture/poor detail. In general the lower half of the mids have a haziness/fuziness and lack resolution. Its a bit messy. In particular when theres alot of overlapping instruments, especially multiple electric rock /metal guitar.

I've found that some people are offended by mods so just a spoiler alert, mods ahead.

First thing I like to do when modding, is to swap out the driver wire. In my experience alot of the headphones use really cheap internal wiring. The highest quality wire I've seen in headphones thus far is in the Focals, the elex and clear both use 24awg silver plated copper wiring. The 7200 use what looks like 28awg stranded copper wires.

My choice of driver wire is mundorf silver gold solid core wire, it enhances everything to a whole new level. In my Focal Clear I used 18awg because the stock was 24awg, in the 7200s I used 24awg because the pcb looked too small to accomodate an 18awg wire.

20221002_151224.JPG20221005_213742.JPG

After listening to it for a few days, I found that this mod did not help much with the clarity issues in the lower half of the FR.

I listened to the driver while it was out of of the housing and felt around for areas that were vibrating excessively. The plastic housing holding the driver in place is quite thin and cheap and I could feel alot of vibration coming through it. I placed some fo.q tape to dampen it. 4 spots around the driver housing and some tape under the 3.5mm jack. The pcb holding the 3.5mm jack is floating and looked prone to alot of vibration so I placed the tape underneath it. It fit snugly and firmly supports the jack.

20221008_233742.JPG20221008_233731.JPG
20221008_004802.JPG

The negative aspect to this part is that there is a small loss in bass volume, about 5% if I had to quantify it as a number.

The tape cleaned up alot of the messiness but there still seems to be a little bit left. I will listen to it for a week or so and reevaluate more tape around the driver since that area seems to be the cause of the issue.

If anyone was curious, I just tried this out. Took me a minute to get everything in (and holidays), but it was fun to do and worth the time/expense. I find that I like the sound signature a bit more tuned to my taste now, mainly in that the bass isn't as "messy" for me. Not that it was Meze 99 level of messiness or anything, but it's tightened up a bit more to my liking.

Thank you @dougms3 for the guidance!

Next up: a pad upgrade!

Jan 12, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #2,825 of 3,156
Been looking at ATH wp900 instead in my shop can't get the Denon.. The Audio Technicas review very well I think a worthy substitute but maybe not as robust but definitely more portable
I have both.

What is important for you?

The AT is brighter, rather flimsy looking and feeling. Really feels as a travel headphone but with enough chops to be used at home. The advantage is its comfort which I find excellent. Note that the pads are smaller and for some other ears it could be a problem. If you ever tried a Grado and liked the sound, this may be your pick and you will get more bass than any Grado I tried. I'd describe the sound profile as W- shaped.

The D7200 definitely looks the part of a headphone for home listening, and is quite more relaxed in sound. I owned 3 units and this last one needs no EQ (unless my auditive capabilities have changed...). I only listen Jazz, Classical and Flamenco and reach this more often than the WP900 save for Flamenco as they AT reproduces classical guitar really well. For vocals the AT may be preferable, but if you are sensitive to sibilance the Denon will fit you better. The D7200 is slightly V-shaped.

Bass quantity is similar, perhaps the AT has a bit less. Mids are more prominent in the AT, in particular the upper mids, and not necessarily better. Highs are again more prominent in the AT.

The AT came with 2 (proprietary) cables, one 3.5mm and one 4.4: they look terrible but I am not into the look of things and they work fine. The cable of the D7200 feels certainly better and sounds fine. I also have tried it with a sliver plated balanced and can't tell much of a difference.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #2,826 of 3,156
I have both.

What is important for you?

The AT is brighter, rather flimsy looking and feeling. Really feels as a travel headphone by with chops to be used at home. The advantage is its comfort which I find excellent. Note that the pads are smaller and for some other ears it could be a problem. If you ever tried a Grado and liked the sound, this may be your pick and you will get more bass than any Grado I tried. I'd describe the sound profile as W- shaped.

The D7200 definitely looks the part of a headphone for home listening, and is quite more relaxed in sound. I owned 3 units and this last one needs no EQ (unless my auditive capabilities have changed...). I only listen Jazz, Classical and Flamenco and reach this more often than the WP900 save for Flamenco as they AT reproduces classical guitar really well. For vocals the AT may be preferable, but if you are sensitive to sibilance the Denon will fit you better. The D7200 is slightly V-shaped.

Bass quantity is similar, perhaps the AT has a bit less. Mids are more prominent in the AT, in particular the upper mids, and not necessarily better. Highs are again more prominent in the AT.

The AT came with 2 (proprietary) cables, one 3.5mm and one 4.4: they look terrible but I am not into the look of things and they work fine. The cable of the D7200 feels certainly better and sounds fine. I also have tried it with a sliver plated balanced and can't tell much of a difference.
Hey thanks. I listen to a lot of sound design electronic , "intelligence dance music".

Jan 13, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #2,829 of 3,156
Well I'm interested in WP900 because Stefan from Headphone Auditions Amsterdam listened to my preferences and recommended them.. I was sold on Focal Elegia too or Denon and he said go fro WP900.
Not to add a few more options to your list, but as an electronic music fan myself, I prefer my ATH-AD2000 and LCD-3 to my Denon 7200. The Denon does have harder hitting bass, but clarity, detail and depth belong to the Audio Technica and Audeze. When I was first getting into hi-fi headphones, quite a number of people recommended the ATH for electronic music, along with Audeze (only LCD 2's were available at the time, but outside my budget). I had my ATH for about 9 years or so before I decided to take a leap into Audeze. I was not disappointed by either of them. The Denon's are good, but not in my top 3. I'm kinda considering upgrading my ATH-AD2000 to the ADX5000 at some point.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Jan 14, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #2,830 of 3,156
Not to add a few more options to your list, but as an electronic music fan myself, I prefer my ATH-AD2000 and LCD-3 to my Denon 7200. The Denon does have harder hitting bass, but clarity, detail and depth belong to the Audio Technica and Audeze. When I was first getting into hi-fi headphones, quite a number of people recommended the ATH for electronic music, along with Audeze (only LCD 2's were available at the time, but outside my budget). I had my ATH for about 9 years or so before I decided to take a leap into Audeze. I was not disappointed by either of them. The Denon's are good, but not in my top 3. I'm kinda considering upgrading my ATH-AD2000 to the ADX5000 at some point.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
I'm here with quick reply! Thanks for another nudge toward WP900... He was very biased against Denon he said the worst headphone he had ever trialed!.. Not that I can just go along with that or anything but as it goes WP900 is just reviewing very well anyway.. I will look up your other recommendations thanks.

Jan 14, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #2,831 of 3,156
I'm here with quick reply! Thanks for another nudge toward WP900... He was very biased against Denon he said the worst headphone he had ever trialed!.. Not that I can just go along with that or anything but as it goes WP900 is just reviewing very well anyway.. I will look up your other recommendations thanks.
The 7200’s are far from the worst headphones I’ve heard. They sit somewhere in the upper middle range of my collection.

If you’re considering the WP900, I would also recommend the W1000. Not sure if they’re still made or not, but those cans are what got me into the hifi headphone world. My old roommate (also into electronic music) bought those, put them on my head, and changed my world. Honestly, even a used set of those would probably sound better than the 7200’s and possibly the WP900’s.

Jan 14, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #2,832 of 3,156
The 7200’s are far from the worst headphones I’ve heard. They sit somewhere in the upper middle range of my collection.

If you’re considering the WP900, I would also recommend the W1000. Not sure if they’re still made or not, but those cans are what got me into the hifi headphone world. My old roommate (also into electronic music) bought those, put them on my head, and changed my world. Honestly, even a used set of those would probably sound better than the 7200’s and possibly the WP900’s.
Yeah they look trickier to get hold of,, for good after sales and new out of the box I will go WP-900,, maybe! ,,

Jan 17, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #2,833 of 3,156
Interesting! Would you mind dropping a pic of your cans when you get a chance? I'd consider this options as well since I've always found the LCD series to have comfortable headbands. Did you have to modify the cups of the D7200 to install the headband?
Was away for a bit, but here they are. Definitely a homebrew lol. Had nuts and bolts lying around at the time when modding the monoprice headphone. Saw that they would fit inside the 7200 chasis and the lightbulb turned on in my head.

Attachments

• B0F7B670-9F64-4843-806F-C46A661457AE.jpeg
    B0F7B670-9F64-4843-806F-C46A661457AE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • D40FAF29-601C-4379-8F03-862AC712AE22.jpeg
    D40FAF29-601C-4379-8F03-862AC712AE22.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 5285FD07-0300-440E-A8F8-5D814FCC71D2.jpeg
    5285FD07-0300-440E-A8F8-5D814FCC71D2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Jan 18, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #2,834 of 3,156
Was away for a bit, but here they are. Definitely a homebrew lol. Had nuts and bolts lying around at the time when modding the monoprice headphone. Saw that they would fit inside the 7200 chasis and the lightbulb turned on in my head.
I thought it would look weird but doesn't look bad at all.

Might be a good option for those that have issues with the stock headband, I have to use a thick headband cover or it feels like its driving a hole into my brain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back