Denon AH-7200
Sep 27, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #2,537 of 3,156
Mr Light Man kindly recommended to me these ear pads for the 7200
https://www.accessoryhouseglobal.com/denon-replacement-ear-cushion/
the same as https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07X1L287G
I now use these instead of the Dekoni Hybrid TH900 Earpads EPZ-TH900-HYB. The new ones are very comfortable, give better passive isolation and the slight sound change is also positive to my ears. A recommendation

F47DE240-8C90-4DAF-BCDD-17436A0C4AB2.jpeg

Oct 13, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #2,538 of 3,156
Finally got mine today. Ordered new ones. I gave them a bit of burning for 3.5 hour and then listen to them using different genres. Out of the box these sounds amazing! Got big smile on my face as soon as I put them on. I am very pleased with the sound and assume it gets even better over some time. I pair them with PMA-720AE. Very clear sound with punchy and deep bass... love it. I compared them for a while with HP800 (extremely good and underrated cans) and MM400 which are both great headphones but can definitely confirm the D7200 are on another level. Comfortable and isolating pretty well too. Its the old good Denon signature sound with improved clarity I would say. I was a bit worried about the treble region but not sure if I would like to make them more pronounced. I like the stock pads I think they are pretty good but definitely will try some other ones in next few months.

COUPLE OF QUESTIONS:

1. I just want to ask if somebody can compare the D7200 vs D9200 in terms of treble.... aren't they too fatiguing? For me D7200 are bright enough.

2. Also can anybody recommend some headband cover for these? Especially, leather would be nice. I know about ZMF Pilot is there anything else?

Thank you and happy listening :)

Attachments

• IMG_20211013_143116.jpg
    IMG_20211013_143116.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Oct 19, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #2,540 of 3,156
I am not an expert but if you are an owner of the D7200 or thinking of buying them I have few TIPS & TICKS for the D7200:

* Although they are 25 Ohm only, they do benefit greatly from powerful & quality sources, amps and dacs

* They do improve and open after some good burning time or hours of usage

* They are slightly darker than the D9200 but this can be very well tweaked with EQ. I have made a small adjustments shown on the screenshot and as the result they are better sounding / a bit brighter now. It might fix the issue witht trebble. I am going to experiment with different EQ setting a bit more. I would like to see some other EQ settings you are using guys.

* The headband might be an issue especially because these are quite heavy. Again, nothing that you cannot fix withs some good headband pad. I currently use a fabric one I purchased form Amazon they meant to be for AT-M50. It fits well but its slightly longer than the original one. I spoked to Geekria they recommended me these below saying they should fit well: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HQGTR7D/

I am also considering ZMF Pilot Pad but I can see its a bit too wide and I might have to fill it in with something to make it more wider.

Anybody knows any better headband cover for these please?

* If the clamping force is too much for you try to stretch them over night over some box. It ease up the clamping force a bit.

* According this thread, the sound can be improved by some custom work / modding but me personally I would not go this way. On the other side, I would love to compare the original sound with the modded one. They are some good articles in this thread on how to do this.

* The pads will change the sound signature significantly so I recommend to experiment with these. For now I am still using the stock ones but definitely will try some others. I would prefer them to be slightly deeper and more soft. I think the isolation would be improved as well.

* I added a wood lacquer coating for better protection against accidental scratches... they look a bit darker now but I like it this way. I will post some photos after I find ideal headband cover.

* I would not take these out... definitely not portable cans at all and it would be a sin to scratch them :)

So, before you send them back for refund or turn to some other pair consider these they might become your end game eventually:)

Happy Listening !

Attachments

• EQ.JPG
    EQ.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #2,542 of 3,156
I remember well how 7200 sounded..
5200 it's like a mom
7200 it's like a dad
5200+7200=9200 is their genius child :sweat_smile: (I hope so because I haven't heard them yet:smirk:)
My EQ 5200

Nicely said. As per your EQ settings.... Do you actually prefer your D5200 darker?
With the D7200 I only needed small emphasis on the highs, that opened them up just a little bit.

Oct 20, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #2,543 of 3,156
Nicely said. As per your EQ settings.... Do you actually prefer your D5200 darker?
With the D7200 I only needed small emphasis on the highs, that opened them up just a little bit.
Because I listen to electronic music, at 5200, according to my feelings, between 70-100Hz, some abyss is heard, because of this sound is airy, vocals muted, high frequencies start to come to the fore from time to time. But maybe I like a little more darker sound, as you said. Or maybe because for many years my main headphones were sony z7 and I just can't get out of the habit.
At 7200 really lacks brilliance high frequencies, but when I tried to make high with help of EQ, as on 5200, I didn't succeed, sound became either more hissing or metallic. But I would not say that this is critical. For me, it is much more critical that both of these headphones lack the stiffness/tighter of midbasss. But this also becomes not critical over time if just listen and enjoy music, and don't try to compare with the original quality, these are not monitor headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #2,544 of 3,156
Because I listen to electronic music, at 5200, according to my feelings, between 70-100Hz, some abyss is heard, because of this sound is airy, vocals muted, high frequencies start to come to the fore from time to time. But maybe I like a little more darker sound, as you said. Or maybe because for many years my main headphones were sony z7 and I just can't get out of the habit.
At 7200 really lacks brilliance high frequencies, but when I tried to make high with help of EQ, as on 5200, I didn't succeed, sound became either more hissing or metallic. But I would not say that this is critical. For me, it is much more critical that both of these headphones lack the stiffness/tighter of midbasss. But this also becomes not critical over time if just listen and enjoy music, and don't try to compare with the original quality, these are not monitor headphones.
Interesting reading... I prefer darker sounding headphones too, its less fatiguing. I need headphones for pleasure and music enjoyment but also like clear mids and highs. The Denon is doing a great job providing such headphones their signature is addictive. For monitoring I am using Senns HD25, those do the job well.

I used EQ on the D7200 to make them just slightly brighter and aiming to get closer to the D9200 sound with them. Cant wait to compare these two.

When I use my EQ settings and switch it ON / OFF it sounds like somebody close the door in my ears. Small tweak but the difference is significant. I had tried more harsh sounding recordings with stronger highs and they were not ear piercing to me (only if I raised the EQ's db then it start hurting my ears.) Again, that is the setting that works for me well, I am sure others might tweak it even further.

Have you tried to change the pads? Some deeper pads would definitely make them darker with stronger bass. I used this on the HP800 and they are kicking my ears now, I love it :) I am keen to find out what is going to happen if I do this on the D7200.

I will definitely try the D5200 soon as I want to buy these for my father. They are all great headphones.

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #2,545 of 3,156

EQUALIZING THE D7200:

Hey guys, I have tried to play with the EQ for the Denon D7200. I had issues to actually install and run the Equalizer APO for my new DAC but it was down to the missing drivers. The APO is a great software to EQ the whole system rather than just music player or other software. It can enable by itself as soon as you turn on your computer, great stuff.

I have got an official / recommended EQ settings form the web created by professionals (big thanks). So, I rushed to import it into the APO software and expected this new amazing sound. I was of course disappointed because instead of great sound I got this flat, very boring like sound coming from the D7200. Yes, it sounds good and I can use them in studio for monitoring purpose now but the sound is no more fun.

See first screenshot of the actual APO's EQ settings you can simply copy these / create them in your own EQ like this, you should get the same result.

The 2nd EQ I am sharing here is my own after few days of playing with settings and trying them on different genres of music and sound. The idea behind it is to make them sound less dark, open them up little bit and make them sound close to the flagship the D9200. I am sure you can achieve even better sound if you havent already. In that case please DO SHARE your EQ settings with us. If you try these settings I created and then try to turn OFF / ON the EQ you will see the quite pleasant difference. Its like somebody opens them up, I like this result a lot. But again please somebody improve this further I would be very interested.

HAPPY LISTENING :)

Attachments

• D7200_EQ_byEngineers.jpg
    D7200_EQ_byEngineers.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 0
  • D7200_EQ_recommended.jpg
    D7200_EQ_recommended.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 0
Oct 27, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #2,546 of 3,156
EQUALIZING THE D7200:

Hey guys, I have tried to play with the EQ for the Denon D7200. I had issues to actually install and run the Equalizer APO for my new DAC but it was down to the missing drivers. The APO is a great software to EQ the whole system rather than just music player or other software. It can enable by itself as soon as you turn on your computer, great stuff.

I have got an official / recommended EQ settings form the web created by professionals (big thanks). So, I rushed to import it into the APO software and expected this new amazing sound. I was of course disappointed because instead of great sound I got this flat, very boring like sound coming from the D7200. Yes, it sounds good and I can use them in studio for monitoring purpose now but the sound is no more fun.

See first screenshot of the actual APO's EQ settings you can simply copy these / create them in your own EQ like this, you should get the same result.

The 2nd EQ I am sharing here is my own after few days of playing with settings and trying them on different genres of music and sound. The idea behind it is to make them sound less dark, open them up little bit and make them sound close to the flagship the D9200. I am sure you can achieve even better sound if you havent already. In that case please DO SHARE your EQ settings with us. If you try these settings I created and then try to turn OFF / ON the EQ you will see the quite pleasant difference. Its like somebody opens them up, I like this result a lot. But again please somebody improve this further I would be very interested.

HAPPY LISTENING :)
I will try your settings. Thanks!
Previously I have tried the settings from https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq but I did not like the results. I like very much the tunning of the 7200 and have found so far very difficult to improve them. I have managed to easily improve the sound of other headphones, like the Sony Wh1000xm3, but not the 7200.

Oct 28, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #2,547 of 3,156
Hey guys,

A solid headband covers for the Denon D5200, D7200, D9200 headphones. I have ordered couple of headbands from the Amazon / Geekria and I am well pleased with the results. The do improve the comfort a bit and also they protect your headband from damages. I have seen so many complains about the headband comfort on this website so this might be a solution to that. I personally do not have any comfort issue without the cover.

On the photos there are two types similar but one is longer (sold as headband for ATH-M50x) and the other one shorter (sold as headband for Bose Quiet Comfort 2 & 15.

The ATH-M50x one will cover the whole headband and also cover a bit of metal on the sides (looks less attractive)

The Quiet Comfort headband cover will leave sides slightly uncovered which looks better. (Note this cover was a bit harder to put on.. it fits a bit tight).
UK link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LXRU5YE/

Attachments

• IMG_20211028_124642.jpg
    IMG_20211028_124642.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211028_124830.jpg
    IMG_20211028_124830.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211028_140627.jpg
    IMG_20211028_140627.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211028_140650.jpg
    IMG_20211028_140650.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211028_140855.jpg
    IMG_20211028_140855.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Oct 28, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #2,548 of 3,156
Hey guys, I'm selling my AH-7200 as new for inactivity, where is the right section of the forum where to create a post?
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20211023_163529.jpg
    IMG_20211023_163529.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211023_163546.jpg
    IMG_20211023_163546.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211023_163719.jpg
    IMG_20211023_163719.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211023_163749.jpg
    IMG_20211023_163749.jpg
    1,005.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211023_163829.jpg
    IMG_20211023_163829.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Nov 5, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #2,550 of 3,156
Just to share my experience here. I have achieved 100+ hours and gave the D7200 proper burning. The sound really opened up and improved.

I have been listening to lot of high quality .flac music, all kinds of different genres and also enjoying them while watching movies and little bit of gaming.
Based on my ears and quite a lot of tweaking / experimenting, I have improved the EQ settings a bit further (version 2 attached).
This is just a slight improvement which I believe suits most of the genres out there and mainly it makes these headphones sound really good, amazing IMO.
The aim is to get them as close as possible to the D9200.

I have not experienced with different cables and pads yet but in this thread there is a ton of info about this... not sure why its not about EQ as that can improve the sound significantly !!

As written few posts up here, the EQ used is the Equalizer APO software with PEACE user interface plugin. Both are free to download.

I have tried lot of music with proper / harsh like highs to see if this EQ setting would be also suitable. To my ears this is set to the edge where the highs are really nice, airy and crisp without being too harsh, fatiguing or pierce sounding like.

Anyway, please try them, tweak them, improve them and do not forget to share it. See if you turn these settings ON / OFF how much difference that makes.

Do not forget to burn these in properly (min 100 hours) and EQ them before you consider selling them or getting a refund.

By the way anybody experience any ringing with these yet? 🙃

Attachments

• D7200_EQ_recommended_V2.jpg
    D7200_EQ_recommended_V2.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back