Denon AH-7200
Nov 17, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #2,551 of 3,156
Continuing love for the 7200 here. (I also have the 9200, which is great, technically better, but I generally still prefer the 7200). It gets the balance right for my tastes (although I actually EQ the treble down a bit). Great timbre/tonality, and it gets out of the way and lets me immerse in the music...An audiophile headphone to soothe, and quell the old 'audiophilia nervosa.' I love the walnut cups too. An underrated headphone, I'd say. Keep up the great work, Denon.

Nov 17, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #2,552 of 3,156
Continuing love for the 7200 here. (I also have the 9200, which is great, technically better, but I generally still prefer the 7200). It gets the balance right for my tastes (although I actually EQ the treble down a bit). Great timbre/tonality, and it gets out of the way and lets me immerse in the music...An audiophile headphone to soothe, and quell the old 'audiophilia nervosa.' I love the walnut cups too. An underrated headphone, I'd say. Keep up the great work, Denon.

I fully agree mate, although I do not have the D9200 yet. I am somewhere close to 200 hours and I think the burning period is over now. They improved significantly since I first put them on. With some good source, quality amp and soft EQ settings these are really amazing headphones indeed.

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #2,553 of 3,156
Just to share my experience here. I have achieved 100+ hours and gave the D7200 proper burning. The sound really opened up and improved.

I have been listening to lot of high quality .flac music, all kinds of different genres and also enjoying them while watching movies and little bit of gaming.
Based on my ears and quite a lot of tweaking / experimenting, I have improved the EQ settings a bit further (version 2 attached).
This is just a slight improvement which I believe suits most of the genres out there and mainly it makes these headphones sound really good, amazing IMO.
The aim is to get them as close as possible to the D9200.

I have not experienced with different cables and pads yet but in this thread there is a ton of info about this... not sure why its not about EQ as that can improve the sound significantly !!

As written few posts up here, the EQ used is the Equalizer APO software with PEACE user interface plugin. Both are free to download.

I have tried lot of music with proper / harsh like highs to see if this EQ setting would be also suitable. To my ears this is set to the edge where the highs are really nice, airy and crisp without being too harsh, fatiguing or pierce sounding like.

Anyway, please try them, tweak them, improve them and do not forget to share it. See if you turn these settings ON / OFF how much difference that makes.

Do not forget to burn these in properly (min 100 hours) and EQ them before you consider selling them or getting a refund.

By the way anybody experience any ringing with these yet? 🙃
Hey, created an account just to say thanks. Your EQ settings are great! I bought the d7200 two weeks ago, and while personally very statisfied with the soundsignature (I like Denon and cant take too much treble) I searched for some more tips and found the engineering eq settings through reddit, but after applying them, it changed the signature so much that it was unrecognisable. I have absolutely no idea how to create an EQ-profile, but I found them sometimes a smudge over-dark and warm. Don't get me wrong, I love them and it's my first headset above 300 eur (other headsets on the wall: Hifiman HE4xx, Philips X2HR, Denon MM400 and AH-D600, B&W P5), but every now and then a song came up and I felt the singers voice was a bit too far back. So there I was with my new "King Headset", loving it very much, also clearly the best sounding of my headsets, but also wanting a smudge more brightness every now and then, but no idea how to accomplish it. And there you were with your settings. I put them into Peace and after the science-failure I was ready for dissapointment. Clicked "On", and the sound seemed so comparable, definitely Denon and related, like brothers, but the perfect amount brighter. I still sometimes click the EQ-profile off, just to enjoy the pure and easy 7200 sound, but the way I see it, you just gave me 1500eur headset ready to go with 1 click. So, thanks. :)

p.s. Has anyone tried the d7200 powered by a pma600ne? or 800ne? I saw some people suggesting a warm amp for this headset, and the reviews on those amps seem to suggest just that. I use a Denon DA-10 right now which does the trick, but I bought that for the MM400, my "mobile solution").

p.p.s. Is getting a MEZE balanced 4.4mm to 2x 3.5mm cable worth it? The Fiio M11 already sounds great with this headset, but it has 2 amps and and 2 dacs which only get used with the balanced output, or so I thought.

Sorry for all the questions. :|

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #2,554 of 3,156
Hey, created an account just to say thanks. Your EQ settings are great! I bought the d7200 two weeks ago, and while personally very statisfied with the soundsignature (I like Denon and cant take too much treble) I searched for some more tips and found the engineering eq settings through reddit, but after applying them, it changed the signature so much that it was unrecognisable. I have absolutely no idea how to create an EQ-profile, but I found them sometimes a smudge over-dark and warm. Don't get me wrong, I love them and it's my first headset above 300 eur (other headsets on the wall: Hifiman HE4xx, Philips X2HR, Denon MM400 and AH-D600, B&W P5), but every now and then a song came up and I felt the singers voice was a bit too far back. So there I was with my new "King Headset", loving it very much, also clearly the best sounding of my headsets, but also wanting a smudge more brightness every now and then, but no idea how to accomplish it. And there you were with your settings. I put them into Peace and after the science-failure I was ready for dissapointment. Clicked "On", and the sound seemed so comparable, definitely Denon and related, like brothers, but the perfect amount brighter. I still sometimes click the EQ-profile off, just to enjoy the pure and easy 7200 sound, but the way I see it, you just gave me 1500eur headset ready to go with 1 click. So, thanks. :)

p.s. Has anyone tried the d7200 powered by a pma600ne? or 800ne? I saw some people suggesting a warm amp for this headset, and the reviews on those amps seem to suggest just that. I use a Denon DA-10 right now which does the trick, but I bought that for the MM400, my "mobile solution").

p.p.s. Is getting a MEZE balanced 4.4mm to 2x 3.5mm cable worth it? The Fiio M11 already sounds great with this headset, but it has 2 amps and and 2 dacs which only get used with the balanced output, or so I thought.

Sorry for all the questions. :|

Hi, I am glad you tried and liked those settings. Me too, I am very pleased with the results I actually never go OFF now :)

I have created it with careful listening of all kinds of genres and kept tweaking it until it sounded right on all the songs I have tried. Especially with the treble I tried to be careful not to over do it as I do not like harsh, piercing treble either. The idea behind this was to get as close as possible to their big brother the D9200. I am actually worried now that once i purchase those I wont enjoy them that much because the D7200 are really a different animal now. Whatever I throw into them, any kind of genres, all kinds of quality, movies, games, soundtracks it all just sound right to my ears. On many songs I was suddenly able to hear breathing, string touching or similar details. Just amazing.

By the way, I have the same type of settings for the MM-400 and the D600 and the HP800 so if you are interested or anybody else just message me here as this is the D7200 thread and we want to keep it that way. They all using a different settings and its definitely an improvement to all of them.

I have the FiiO K5 Pro DAC and I paired it with PM-720ae and now just few days ago I upgraded it to PM-800ne. I can definitely confirm that both amps are simply great with the D7200 and in matter of fact with all other Denon headphones. I have tried few different amps but you know... Denon is Denon. The quality is just there. The PM-720ae was just a bit more warmer but the PM-800ne is definitely a recognizable upgrade to it. The sound on PM-800ne is more reference like, slightly clearer, more detailed I would say as well. It has also this great feature SOURCE DIRECT (the PM720 has it too). If I use that then the sound is absolutely pure and neutral. Its like no filters involves just flat / neutrality. But when I turn that off and the sound goes via the main amp... its just soo buttery good, its warmer, the bass is stronger, softer and its just pure enjoyment listen to that setup. I was thinking to upgrading my DAC but the FiiO K5 Pro's line out output is just amazing clear sound (unlike when I run it via its amp and use the headphone output - the sound is just not so great). It's line out goes outside it's main amp.

I share you thought that the D7200 sound is worth around £500 but when you use the right EQ then it's like different kind of headphones.

By the way, I have the vintage D7000 on the way so I will also create an EQ settings for these.

Happy Listening :)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #2,557 of 3,156
Hmm difficult.
I tend to prefer the Lcd 2 C if the tuning fits.
With the Denon D7200, it's one thing.
If you use an Eq, the bass has to go down because the basic tuning tends to bleed into the mids.

Or it is better to use the Denon with a neutrally tuned amplifier.
Then it's more likely to fit.

I had both and in the end found the Lcd 2C to be better in the overall picture, because it is more rounded in its tuning.
What bothered me a bit about the Lcd 2c is that it's a bit power hungry and when there's no power, the bass range gets a bit muddy or can get muddy.
But that changes as soon as it gets enough power.

In the end, however, the Lcd2 sounded better to me because the bass range was less lush and it harmonised better.
I sold the Denon because I didn't use it any more and when I did it was always too much.
What I really liked were the great mids and highs, which were always nice and clear and never too much of a good thing.

Dec 8, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #2,558 of 3,156
I have the LCD2C as well, and I agree it's a fine headphone. However, I also find it harder to drive well-- it can sound a bit too laid back sometimes. Also, I find the tonality fairly dry-- at least compared to the 'wetter' sounding Denons. I just love the Denon house timbre/tone, particularly the way they make bass drums/kick drums sound. The lower end generally sounds delightfully liquid, organic, tubey.

Dec 8, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #2,559 of 3,156
Hmm difficult.
I tend to prefer the Lcd 2 C if the tuning fits.
With the Denon D7200, it's one thing.
If you use an Eq, the bass has to go down because the basic tuning tends to bleed into the mids.

Or it is better to use the Denon with a neutrally tuned amplifier.
Then it's more likely to fit.

I had both and in the end found the Lcd 2C to be better in the overall picture, because it is more rounded in its tuning.
What bothered me a bit about the Lcd 2c is that it's a bit power hungry and when there's no power, the bass range gets a bit muddy or can get muddy.
But that changes as soon as it gets enough power.

In the end, however, the Lcd2 sounded better to me because the bass range was less lush and it harmonised better.
I sold the Denon because I didn't use it any more and when I did it was always too much.
What I really liked were the great mids and highs, which were always nice and clear and never too much of a good thing.
Sorry, I just disagree with the statement that the bass bleeds into the mids. It might be the case they are not burned in yet.
In my view the separation is great whether is with EQ or not. The bass is punchy, soft & deep enough, very similar than on its predecessor the D7000.
They are both phenomenal cans.

Dec 9, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #2,560 of 3,156
Sorry, I just disagree with the statement that the bass bleeds into the mids. It might be the case they are not burned in yet.
In my view the separation is great whether is with EQ or not. The bass is punchy, soft & deep enough, very similar than on its predecessor the D7000.
They are both phenomenal cans.
That was my impression after the D2000 was modded with Emu rosewood cups and the Fostex Tr x 00 was at hand.
Even both headphones were in comparison better in the bass range clearly more controlled.
It was certainly not due to the burn in - that can be ruled out.
Compared to the Lcd 2 C, although the drivers are different, I found the Lcd 2C to be a bit better.
Of course it is also a question of personal taste, some like it, some do not.
And maybe also a little bit dependent on the tuning of the amplifier.

Apart from the fact that it is often viewed subjectively, I also viewed it objectively.
I didn't notice it at the beginning, but later I realised that even though it's a new driver, the others are simply better.
If I were honest I would want the bass response of the old Fostex driver and the midrange and treble of the Denon D7200 then it would be just right.

I also like the design of the D7200 much better than the old one.
The comfort is also better.
It's not completely bad.
It is simply a matter of taste, for a bass head it is absolutely right, if you are not one then better not to buy it.

Dec 9, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #2,561 of 3,156
For a VERY DETAILED ANALYSIS AND COMPARISONS between D7200 and LCD2 CLosed I recommend to watch this video on YT:

LCD-2 Closed vs D7200

Dec 12, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #2,562 of 3,156
Having the Denon 7200 for a few days, I can say I’m really loving them! They are not very comfortable in fit but with more wear I think it will be better.

I saved up money for quite some time (even at the lower price I paid for them) to get these. I’m using them in combination with a Fiio Q5S and my iPhone. My local flac collection I play with Vox and can modify the EQ perfectly. With Apple Music I’m not sure with the Build in EQ..
Unfortunately Tidal doesn’t work for me anymore.

It’s a portable setup, and enjoying it very much. I would like to replace the Fiio for maybe a higher end player in time?

Jan 9, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #2,563 of 3,156
Got myself these few months back and been using them since plugged straight into my laptop. Recently I bought Apple USB-C to 3,5mm to use as DAC and used SMSL SH9 for 170€ shipped. I was wondering if Im missing out on something while using this AMP/DAC combo. I will be probably selling my setup soon because of hearing problems but I want to fully experience these cans before I sell them.
Is SH9 for 170€ good deal? And any idea how much € are these cans worth nowadays? Thinking of selling them for 370€ but Im not sure if that aint too much.
Oh and not sure if you are supposed to discuss prices here, hopefully Im not breaking rules (Im new here).

Jan 13, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #2,564 of 3,156
Recently purchased a pair of lightly used D7200's, I've just completed over 200 hours of burn-in on them, if they don't sound at their best now they never will...
I didn't like the lacquer finish on the ear cups, I like to see walnut in it's natural state so I removed the lacquer, what a pain in the butt that was!
I also removed the metal 'DENON' lettering as i prefer the 'minimalist' look, the letters are stored away in case I decide to replace they at a later date. I doubt that i will re-attach them, but if i was to sell them on at some point the new owner has that option.

Take a look at the photos, see what you think.......

Attachments

• IMG_20220112_150706.jpg
    IMG_20220112_150706.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220112_150726.jpg
    IMG_20220112_150726.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220112_150809.jpg
    IMG_20220112_150809.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Jan 13, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #2,565 of 3,156
Recently purchased a pair of lightly used D7200's, I've just completed over 200 hours of burn-in on them, if they don't sound at their best now they never will...
I didn't like the lacquer finish on the ear cups, I like to see walnut in it's natural state so I removed the lacquer, what a pain in the butt that was!
I also removed the metal 'DENON' lettering as i prefer the 'minimalist' look, the letters are stored away in case I decide to replace they at a later date. I doubt that i will re-attach them, but if i was to sell them on at some point the new owner has that option.

Take a look at the photos, see what you think.......
Looks nice, I agree that the original finish could showcase beautiful wood under it better. Personally I would keep the metal logo in though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back