Denon AH-7200
Nov 30, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #2,282 of 3,164
I also agree that with crinacle that the tuning is a little wonky. I'm really glad he's uploaded a graph here:
https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/denon-ah-d7200/

I was really perplexed trying to eq the treble by hand, but hopefully this will be a good guide going forward. I think I'll try to tune it similar to the EMU Teak. (Though something I have never actually heard.)

Despite it's wonkyness, I do enjoy it though. It's been in the shop for awhile, but I think I prefer it to my Ananda's despite them in many sense being the "objectively" better headphone on multiple fronts. This is probably influenced a lot by my preferred genres though.
I heard the D9200, and I just found it 'fun' and engaging despite the FR not being close to a 'target' response. I really don't have high expectations for FR from closed-backs as they are generally difficult to tune, and I found the high frequencies to work well without any uncomfortable harshness, and it was mainly the bass that did it. It was just one of the best sounding bass I've ever heard, and it kept me interested in hearing more tracks due to the bass. But, these were tracks glorifying bass, and I was hearing things I wouldn't hear from another headphone that didn't express bass in such a way. So, it became merited due to such unique characteristic.

I have heard 'worky' headphone response and D9200 despite the measurements looking the way it does, didn't find it's tuning to be what I consider at the point of 'wonky' from what I've heard.

It's interesting because I look for accuracy in tuning foremost, and this is rare one doesn't fit that criteria as it makes up for it other significant ways that deem worth in my point of view. It's one of those headphones you look at measurements and you make a prejudice, and you hear, and can break the prejudice.

I recall way back when I got the TH-X00 Ebony, and thought the bass was so unique that kept me engaged, but D9200's bass was on another level.

Looking at the D5200, the response looks tonally closest to the 'target' among the three. https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/denon-ah-d5200/

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #2,283 of 3,164
I heard the D9200, and I just found it 'fun' and engaging despite the FR not being close to a 'target' response. I really don't have high expectations for FR from closed-backs as they are generally difficult to tune, and I found the high frequencies to work well without any uncomfortable harshness, and it was mainly the bass that did it. It was just one of the best sounding bass I've ever heard, and it kept me interested in hearing more tracks due to the bass. But, these were tracks glorifying bass, and I was hearing things I wouldn't hear from another headphone that didn't express bass in such a way. So, it became merited due to such unique characteristic.

I have heard 'worky' headphone response and D9200 despite the measurements looking the way it does, didn't find it's tuning to be what I consider at the point of 'wonky' from what I've heard.

It's interesting because I look for accuracy in tuning foremost, and this is rare one doesn't fit that criteria as it makes up for it other significant ways that deem worth in my point of view. It's one of those headphones you look at measurements and you make a prejudice, and you hear, and can break the prejudice.

I recall way back when I got the TH-X00 Ebony, and thought the bass was so unique that kept me engaged, but D9200's bass was on another level.

Looking at the D5200, the response looks tonally closest to the 'target' among the three. https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/denon-ah-d5200/
I remember (from the 9200 thread) that you didn't like these Denon at first (it was you against the world in that thread :wink:, I think you even compared them to HD 800 and some Fostex), but you gave them time and started to like.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #2,284 of 3,164
I remember (from the 9200 thread) that you didn't like these Denon at first (it was you against the world in that thread :wink:, I though you compared them to HD 800 and some Fostex), but you give them time and started to like.

Not me my friend. I don’t recall that lol I do believe post there several times. And I might’ve mentioned the clamping force there, but didn’t get into any conflicts with anyone.

I don’t own or tried the HD 800

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #2,289 of 3,164
Put my nearly new D7200 up for sale on here to a new european home.

My D9200 will stay with me forever. :sunglasses:

Dec 21, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #2,292 of 3,164
Is it normal for the D-7200 to have loose hinges? Just bought a like new set and the hinges that connect to the cups seem very noisy. It gives a feeling of a cheap headphone which I did not expect. Otherwise they sound good. Here is a youtube link of issue.

Dec 21, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #2,295 of 3,164
Is it normal for the D-7200 to have loose hinges? Just bought a like new set and the hinges that connect to the cups seem very noisy. It gives a feeling of a cheap headphone which I did not expect. Otherwise they sound good. Here is a youtube link of issue.

Crikey! I've just realised that mine are pretty noisy too if I twist and shake them on purpose. Probably a good thing I only tend to put them on my head and listen to music with them then, the mechanisms appear to be perfectly quiet when I do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back