Denon AH-7200
Apr 13, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #2,161 of 3,156
I wouldn't consider it an upgrade per se just something a little different that would compliment the 900s. I've been on a Fostex bender and wanted to check out some of the Denons. Thanks for the feedback

7200 is considered from many head fi that i spoke the best all arounder.
I want it to buy 900 but it is more expensive and not good from any type of music
That's my conclusion for 3 mounth of research.
Threy told me that"you can't go whrong with 7200."
Cheers,
Ciprian

Apr 13, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #2,162 of 3,156
I wouldn't consider it an upgrade per se just something a little different that would compliment the 900s. I've been on a Fostex bender and wanted to check out some of the Denons. Thanks for the feedback
Reportedly, the 7200 has a little less bass and a more relaxed treble. There plenty of comparisons around, especially in the forum that must not be named.

Apr 13, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #2,164 of 3,156
Read this next post as it describes these models perfectly:

I have had all these. Don't rely on others' opinions too much, since you don't know the all different biases people have. I have personally found the D5000 too dark & boomy though smooth, the D7000 too dark-velvety (though very smooth). It will depend on your preferred genres and personal taste. I can understand why people love the D7000. You need to figure this out for yourself and there is no better way than trying them, either in shops or by owning them - long-term experiences being the best: that's the price to get to know yourself and the headphones in question. If you can't do that, enjoy what you have and spend time listening to music rather than contemplating alternatives.

On first hearing, I thought the TX00 (ebony) were better than the D7200 and the TH900 better yet.
I can imagine either the TH900 or D7000 would be top choice for people with similar preference.
After spending some time I started to appreciate the D7200 more, and also discover the annoying parts more.
If I didn't have modding experience I would have sold them and would have never unlocked the potential they have.
I like when instruments sound with natural tonality and adapt other genres to this priority. So I will always have a bias towards the modded D7200 and the stock D9200.
Other people are suckers for sheer physical bass impact with spacious sound (partially me too) and would prefer the (modded) TH900.
As for resolving fine details, nothing can remotely touch my e-stats (though I can hear all details with the D7200, just not as nicely integrating in the music as I know would be possible).
Nevertheless, for what I care in music listening, the D7200 doesn't lose much because it gets the harmonic structure right and therefore sounds natural.

My ranking would be something like this (instrumental + classical + most other genres):
modded D7200 > D9200 > modded TH900 > HD820 > Z1R > TH900 > D7200 > TX00 > D7000 > D5000 > D2000.

If I put on a different hat (reggae/electronica/metal/synth + some weight for sound stage), the ranking would be like this:
modded TH900 > modded D7200 > D9200 > HD820 > TH900 > Z1R > TX00 > D7200 > D7000 > D5000 > D2000.

With another different hat (most weight on sound stage but my other priorities stay) I would say:
HD820 > Z1R > modded D7200 >= modded TH900 > D9200 > D7000 > TX00 > D7200 > D5000 > D2000.

You see the variance and invariance: that is totally subjective and related to my preferences which may have nothing in common with yours.
Out of this, one could deduce that either the modded D7200 or the stock D9200 are my recommendations for the general public; the modded TH900 and HD820 (and Z1R) would get some people crazy and would not please others.

When you take price into account, from all these closed-headphone options I (must stress that it's personal) don't see much reason to pour money in anything else than a D7200 and a pair of Stax 009 pads (or replacement D7200 pads), doing some trivial mods and by this covering nearly all bases. Otherwise wait 2 years and get a used D9200.
I know people who drew that line at the D5200 and are happy (less problems than with the stock D7200, but less potential as well IMHO).

Apr 13, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #2,165 of 3,156
@Mistyc

I used to own the D7200 and I did try it with the Sony DAP at a store. I personally already own the Pioneer 300R so I dont need to switch to anything else right now. But it did sound great out of the Sony too :) It's a rather musical sounding DAP so that goes well with the D7200.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #2,167 of 3,156
Hello everybody

I have had a set of these for a couple of weeks now and my only slight criticism is that I would prefer more space for my ears within the cups, both depth and circumference. I have tried to search for an obvious recommendation for replacement pads but have only found information on alternatives/modifications for the sake of changing the sound signature, which I’m not particularly interested in achieving, or items that aren’t available within my country (England). I understand that there are many different options from various other manufacturers but is there an obvious one which would give my ears a little more space? I’d prefer to pay for quality as oppose to doing it on the cheap and I also quite like the idea of a material along the lines of felt/alcantara, as oppose to leather, but that isn’t strictly necessary. I’m not overly concerned about any changes to the sound that the pads might bring as I already use a graphic equaliser to make what I have sound how I like it, and to compensate for duff hearing in one ear, anyway so I can always adjust for any changes that happen.

Many thanks

Apr 16, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #2,169 of 3,156
@gigglebug

Hey, so first of all those Dekoni pads won't fit too well on the D7200, they're a little bigger so it will fit loosely. They also don't have that big of an opening, since it's round it won't help the problem, your ears will still be touching the edges (I also had TH900 pads at home and tried on Denons)
Second, I've personally had the same issue as you and have tried about 7 pairs of various pads on the Denons and unfortunately all of them impact the sound, majorly.
From leather, to perforated leather, to suede, it doesn't really matter.

So if I were you, save your money and your time and just return the D7200 if possible. Or sell. And look into ZMF headphones instead.
Going down the pad changing route is tricky and in this case, the headphones are very sensitive to changing pads.

Of course just my opinion from my personal experience.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #2,170 of 3,156
These are the most expensive headphones I’ve ever spent coin on. I know there are many people here that like to tweak with pads.

My question is, Wouldn’t third party pads change the sound signature of these cans? I mean why spend a lot of money on headphones, just to change their sound signature?

Apr 16, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #2,171 of 3,156
@gigglebug

Hey, so first of all those Dekoni pads won't fit too well on the D7200, they're a little bigger so it will fit loosely. They also don't have that big of an opening, since it's round it won't help the problem, your ears will still be touching the edges (I also had TH900 pads at home and tried on Denons)
Second, I've personally had the same issue as you and have tried about 7 pairs of various pads on the Denons and unfortunately all of them impact the sound, majorly.
From leather, to perforated leather, to suede, it doesn't really matter.

So if I were you, save your money and your time and just return the D7200 if possible. Or sell. And look into ZMF headphones instead.
Going down the pad changing route is tricky and in this case, the headphones are very sensitive to changing pads.

Of course just my opinion from my personal experience.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I could still return them but barring the slight problem with fit I am really enjoying listening to music through them. I was completely naive to the ability that changing pads could have on the sound reproduced until I started looking into it, it is a shame if these particular headphones don’t respond very well to such alterations. I might live with them for another week and see if I can mentally adjust to slight annoyance of the pads (it isn’t all encompassing to be fair), the headband was also hurting the top of my head initially and that has abated, and I will still have time to return them if need be.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #2,172 of 3,156
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I could still return them but barring the slight problem with fit I am really enjoying listening to music through them. I was completely naive to the ability that changing pads could have on the sound reproduced until I started looking into it, it is a shame if these particular headphones don’t respond very well to such alterations. I might live with them for another week and see if I can mentally adjust to slight annoyance of the pads (it isn’t all encompassing to be fair), the headband was also hurting the top of my head initially and that has abated, and I will still have time to return them if need be.
Yeah, IMO you should return them. I also gave them some time to adjust to them and it didn't happen. Headband was hurting my head, pads were annoying me. It's a shame but it's a real issue. Real shame because these produce a very lovely sound indeed.
On the other hand ZMF Eikon is pretty similar and has much bigger and more comfortable pads and headband so I recommend you give that one a try :)

Apr 23, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #2,174 of 3,156
Hey update update guys!

So know if you know, if you break your 7200 for some crazy reason, and you do not have warranty, then you are basically "up the Creek" without warranty...

Well that happened to me, because I bought this unit on eBay..

So I kept this extra unit for over year until now...
And ordered some new 9200 drivers from China!
:)
As usual it not only is fake (and probably has covid19 haha), because everything from China is fake ha....
But look how nice they are!!
Real metal outside!
Not plastic!
IMG_20200423_170836.jpg
Gold!!..
Top is stock 7200, and bottom is new goooooollld (fake 9200) driver!
IMG_20200423_171525.jpg

So I'm going to replace them into my broken 7200 and test!

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #2,175 of 3,156
Hey y'all. I just received my "DMT modded" D7200 from Maxx134, and I have to say, these things are AMAZING! I had these in stock form before and sold them. Only thing I have sold that I regretted. Anyways, I bought a pair that Maxx had for sale here and all I can say is "Wow!" Better resolution and clarity. Seriously is not very far from my $1500 Focal Clears' level of detail retrieval. Granted, I have not heard any ZMF offerings, but these [extremely] modded 7200s are hands-down the best closed-backs I've ever heard. Natural timbre, nice clarity and detailed, punchy bass. Thank you, Maxx for all your research and experimentation. You definitely have a winning mod here!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back