Denon AH-7200
Nov 11, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #2,056 of 3,155
Hi All,

I'm sure this has probably already been discussed, but can anyone point me to a comparison between the D7200 and the older D7000, or what does everyone think here. I still love my D7000, but I'm just wondering if the 7200 is a significant improvement/worth purchasing if one already has the D7000. Thanks.

I owned the 7000 for many years and to my taste the 7200s are superior headphones. Sure, the 7000s were legendary, but I always felt their mids were recessed—in a similar way to the Fostex XX lines (Ebony, Purple Heart, etc.). Not sure where the notion came from that the 7200 sound dark; they’re quiet balanced with a touch of mid-forwardness. I love them.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #2,057 of 3,155
I owned the 7000 for many years and to my taste the 7200s are superior headphones. sure, the 7000s were legendary, but i always felt their mids were recessed—in a similar way to the Fostex XX lines (Ebony, Purple Heart, etc.). Not sure where the notion came from that the 7200 sound dark; they’re quiet balanced with a touch of midf-orwardness. I love them.

Thanks. I ended up getting both the 7200, and the 9200-- and I love them both too. Just love the Denon tonality.

Nov 16, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #2,059 of 3,155
How do these go along with heavy/power metal, you konw the speedy stuff ???

Pretty well, I would say. They have pretty good speed and detail to my ears-- not sluggish. But for heavy stuff like you mention, my favourite headphone by far is the Kennerton Vali. Super forward, punchy, fast, detailed, yet very smooth on top. An open back though.

Nov 16, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #2,060 of 3,155
Played with the D7200 for some week Very fun headphones with a massive bass boost. I have not owned a basshead headphone since the Fostex TH-X00. There was times when I believed the JVC DX 1000 was basshead but it has no bass in comparison. It sound almost reference now in tonal balance after the D7200.

I did have issues with the X00 where the bas would drown the midrange and it would feel very weird like listening to three headphones. Bass that sometimes booms as well. a very liquid sound in the midrange and up that was very cool but it didn´t yell with the bass blob at all so found very little music it actually worked with. 7200 may actually have similar to the same bass levels but somehow it feels more coherent with the midrange and treble. It may actually replace my DX 1000 possibly though it don´t have the soundstage.
But relative to the size of them it´s impressive what they pull out.

Seeing it´s so consistent I am curious how it would do with eq. But I do like it´s character and looking to see if Kennerton Magni can fit the bill of more of a reference in closed headphone sound. It could never be my one and only headphone due to the severr coloration though but as a basshead headphone best I heard so far :)

Nov 21, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #2,061 of 3,155
Just received a brand new D7200 sold by someone at a great price, ~285euros, it even had the plastic foils around all 3 jacks.
Put them to work, mids and highs already sound good, the bass is a little boomy on techno tracks, better on rock and there is a tiny veil on mids but i guess it will all settle after some burn in. The highs are very airy though.
Let's see after 20-30 hours, the signature seems to be fun oriented...if this is an appropriate way of saying it :)

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #2,062 of 3,155
Got the Kennerton Magni. Got some 50h burnin on them at least so some way to go I imagine and found they actually have quite a similar tonal balance. I find it super easy to switch between them.

But yet they are remarkable different. Magni does play on another level it´s so freaking dynamic. It actually makes the D7200 feel lacking in attempting to create the proper soundpressures. It´s so physical across the board and really make nightwish epic songs come to life. D7200 is always polite. Relaxed not engaging just sit back and relax it don´t change gears just have that relax mode. I can read a book with the D7200 but the Magni just activate all my senses as I feel part of the show like I am seeing it live. One second it´s calm the next all hell brakes loose! Magni beats the Denon in treble, midrange and bass. The bass in particular never heard anything like it in any headphone! I don´t really take issues with the D7200 bass at all but this is something to behold. Midrange is always strong with magneplanar so no surprise there the Magni is strong. Treble is maybe where they are the closest. Dunno it´s not the focus of either headphone it appears to my ears. My open headphones do shine better there but for closed these are not bad of those I tried.

It has such drive it feels like it plays at 1.25 speed of the Denons.

Quite some headache now not sure I can afford to keep both. I may favor the Magni by quite some margin but I always like the D7200 when putting it on my head and it´s noticably lighter.

Nov 22, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #2,063 of 3,155
right. so far, mine have less than 10 hours of play so still waiting on burn in to take over... if this will add a difference. But i have the same feeling. The bass is still boomy and voices are recessed, there is plenty of detail but doesn't seem well organized, guitars are good and punchy, highs are sometimes sibilant compared to what i'm used to.
Well, most likely we're being too picky about it, i also compare it with planars, Audeze's LCD2F which is awesome in all areas, so no competition here, but they are open and not portable.
i needed a closed back headphone for office and portable use, and iems are not too comfortable after longer usage, i use hifiman re2000, silver version . These Denons really are confortable but even the re2000 sound better. it may not be a fair comparison but they're all in the same price area so i would expect some competition. Still, for the price i got them, it is a good deal.

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #2,066 of 3,155
Then compare it with another 1000$ Headphone but not with a Headphone who cost 3000$.
A Banana is not the same as an Apple.A little bit realist where good. What do you think?

When you compare it with Stax or Focal ok is nearly this price range.
I am shure the Magni is beautiful in all.You think is it better when you put him on a 10000$ Headphoneamp it make a better work as 300-500$ Headphoneamp?
You say too is it better,when you think yes,what for reason you can say?Explaine me please

Nov 23, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #2,067 of 3,155
Aha, so you're talking about comparison with magni, ok. The owner of it should explain, I would expect a 3000$ item to be way better.
I was comparing with my headphones and I'd say it is a fair comparison since their in the same price range, even though closed back headphones usually lose against open back and even against iems.
To be more precise, the main difference, complaint, is the bass, on D7200 it is present but sounds cheap, boomy asa I said, not well separated, it kinda invades the mids, but this is after only 10 hours. I doubt it will change too much tough. The other issue would be the balance between frequencies, instruments and voices. The highs seem forward and sometimes sibilant, while the voice is somewhere up and hidden between instruments. I don't get it how it is possible, since the voice is usually part of mid frequencies because the mids of instruments sound good, especially the guitars. Also, placement of everything, meaning all the components of a recording, instruments, overall and particular presentation of the sound is not that precise as on LCDs and hifiman.
Other than this, D7200 looks very good, they sound very open and could be made portable with a smaller cable and I was able to wear them for hours as opposed to the other 2 which I cannot use them for more than 30-40-50 mins without feeling discomfort or even pain.
One note, they might also be sensitive to what feeds them and to EQ. I mostly connected them to ifi micro idsd and got these impressions I just described. No EQ but ifi makes an excellent pair with Audeze. Then, for a few seconds I switched to a pioneer xdp-300r, this a portable dap, and I felt it was a bit better, the bass wasn't that boomy anymore. I'll get back with this, I used the adaptor from 6.3mm to 3.5mm of LCDs but it does not fit well with it.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #2,068 of 3,155
Kennerton magni is at 690 euro so its cheaper then the d7200. Its primarily the dynamics of it.

Nov 23, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #2,070 of 3,155
He may gotten unlucky somebody sold a bad pair? 285 usd was suspiciously cheap for an "as new" so maybe it´s a pirate copy from wish or something? They can make quite decent looking replicas. I can´t detect sibilance on mine even on recordings that is sibilant. It certainly don´t enhance sibilance. It appears to me the entire goal was to remove anything that could annoy and just let you relax and enjoy music. With the result of sounding dull as a drawback.

May not sound like it but I am quite impressed by D7200. They may very well rate at my second most pleasant closed headphone. They are better then I remember the markls D5000. I do preferr them over my modded DX 1000 I think... Anyway they do have more detail. Much better tuned then the Fostex TH-X00 I had. Just eq bass down a bit and I have no doubt they would be my 2nd rated closed headphones I owned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back