Denon AH-7200
Aug 1, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #2,041 of 3,155
Hi All,

I'm sure this has probably already been discussed, but can anyone point me to a comparison between the D7200 and the older D7000, or what does everyone think here. I still love my D7000, but I'm just wondering if the 7200 is a significant improvement/worth purchasing if one already has the D7000. Thanks.

Aug 1, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #2,042 of 3,155
D7000 was my all time favourite go to can until I blew one of the drivers by accidentally flicking a switch on a new Amp/Dac... I bought the D7200 to replace the D7000 and was captivated by the sound but in a different way to the D7000. I eventually replaced the drivers of my D7000 with Fostex TH900 drivers and really do think they offer a very similar signature to the original D7000.

This maybe won't give you a steer either way so apologies but they are both amazing phones but different. They don't have the same signature. The D7200 are detailed but resolving (like a tube amp) so solid state would probably suit them more. On the flip side the D7000 always had a treble peak on my equipment so I tended to use amps or Opamps with a darker signature (YMMV).

Listening with D7200s as I write this via an Oppo HA1 balanced and am a happy chap. Last night I felt very much the same withe the D7000s via the Beresford SEG (with Dorado PSU adapter)...

All the bast in your journey

Nige

Aug 27, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #2,043 of 3,155
I finally purchased a D7200 :)

Just a couple hours on them so far. I like them. I'll see how they evolve in time, but so far in comparison with my older D7000, the D7200 sounds a little more forward, punchy, dynamic. A little faster, a little more exciting. But so far at least, I'm finding the top end to be a little bit too bright for me, a little splashy. I'm hoping that will mellow out/smooth out a bit. Not a big problem. I use a touch of equalization (my Schiit analogue Loki), and it's good. Kind of surprising though, given all I've heard about this headphone being recessed on the top end. Just my very treble-sensitive ears, I guess. Otherwise, I'm digging them! Beautiful walnut cups too :)

Aug 27, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #2,045 of 3,155
OK, I shouldn't have spoken so soon (duh). After only five hours or so, I'm finding the treble is mellowing out, getting closer to what I prefer. Overall sound seems to be shaping up well. Very happy with them. And oh-- that Denon timbre! Such great tonality!

Sep 4, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #2,047 of 3,155
Really been enjoying these headphones. They let me stop analyzing the sonic presentation and allow me to just enjoy the music. It's a great sign of a piece of gear for me when I forget about it, and get absorbed in the tunes...Then you take them off and admire their simple, handsome design, and feel satisfaction...:)

Sep 4, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #2,048 of 3,155
Really been enjoying these headphones. They let me stop analyzing the sonic presentation and allow me to just enjoy the music. It's a great sign of a piece of gear for me when I forget about it, and get absorbed in the tunes...Then you take them off and admire their simple, handsome design, and feel satisfaction...:)

So true. I couldn't agree more!

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #2,049 of 3,155
The D7200 have settled into being my all-time favorite closed cans alongside my MrSpeakers AFC and Campfire Audio Cascade (those 2 matched with different sources particular to their needs). The Denons sound amazing with the Astell & Kern Kann Cube, and they're the best cans ever when connected to an AV receiver to watch movies in private. I've been surprised that there hasn't been more discussion on the D7200s by the audiophile headphone reviewers on Youtube (Zeos, et al.).

Nov 10, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #2,053 of 3,155
Hello,
I have ordered a pair of the Denon Ah D7200.Can you say how long is the Burn in from this Phone?
Is the Dac Cambridge Audio Dac Magic 100,Schiit Magni or Vali 2 is it enough to drive it?
The Cambridge Audio is modified in Hardware.
And use good Rca Cabel from Audioquest.

Actually i use the Fostex Th x00 Mahagony as Headphone.I have read the Denon are Dark in Signatur.The Fostex bright.
Sometimes too bright i find,is dependend from my daily form.is it true who people say the denon is Dark?

Nov 11, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #2,055 of 3,155
Hello,
I have ordered a pair of the Denon Ah D7200.Can you say how long is the Burn in from this Phone?
Actually i use the Fostex Th x00 Mahagony as Headphone.I have read the Denon are Dark in Signatur.The Fostex bright.
Sometimes too bright i find,is dependend from my daily form.is it true who people say the denon is Dark?

The X00 are Massdrop and they are indeed bright to various extent.
The Fostex are also bright to various extent.
The D7200 is not bright but it's not dark either. Look at the measurements in this thread.
There are people who find it dark, but it's not clear if it's because of preference for more treble or a slightly prominent midrange in a few instances (that changes with time).

I have owned many of these and one common thing was how they have changed with time:
- there was a "burn-in" period for the drivers, that was about 200 hours
- there was a settling/drying period for the wooden cups, that was about 2 years.
The latter was bigger in effect than the former. The sound changed positively in all cases, so that no cups damping was necessary any more.

Any of the listed equipment can drive the D7200. The good thing is it's less sensitive to upstream than brighter headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back