Denon AH-7200
Feb 3, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #361 of 3,167
I got my headphones yesterday, mine came with a Jupiter black spot. As I don't normally purchase wooden cups headphone, I have a question for anyone who does, do you think this black knot is acceptable? This doesn't appear on the other cup and the surface is smooth around it.

Thanks

Michael

Feb 3, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #362 of 3,167
IMO, the knot is not terribly uncommon, perfectly acceptable, and even adds a bit of character.

If it still bothers you after a few days, perhaps you can arrange a swap with your dealer.

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #363 of 3,167
I got my headphones yesterday, mine came with a Jupiter black spot. As I don't normally purchase wooden cups headphone, I have a question for anyone who does, do you think this black knot is acceptable? This doesn't appear on the other cup and the surface is smooth around it.

Thanks

Michael

Due to the natural variation of woods, headphones with wooden cups will be different from each other. It's a cosmetic difference and not manufacturing defect. Acceptable or not is really up to you to judge.

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #364 of 3,167
This knot make the headphone unique. 
wink_face.gif

Cheers.

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #365 of 3,167
Continuing to enjoy the low bass on these but the mids/highs continue to leave me a bit indifferent. Think I'm going to give them another couple of days and if they're still not 'clicking' I'll likely move them on and go back to my original plan and buy a pair of E-MU teak.

I've really been struggling to pinpoint and put into words exactly what it is about the 7200 that isn't quite gelling for me at present as they don't do anything overtly wrong tbh. Perhaps they're just more of a departure from the tuning the TH-X00 or my old D2K (or my idea of the Denon / Fostex 'sound') than I was expecting? Finding the mids in particular a bit 'flat' and for me personally I think I'm hankering for some of the richness and musicality that those headphones offered. Perhaps the mid-bass is also toned down a bit too much for my tastes removing a bit of warmth.

I know another owner commented on the D7200 sounding quite flat to his ears too and in his case that was something he appreciated, so suspect some will like the tuning of this headphone and others may not so much.

One thing I do really like though is that they have a nice openness about them which creates quite a believable sense of space with good recordings and finer details don't tend to get obscured (possibly a benefit of not being too mid bassy?).

Hopefully with some more hours on them things will start to fall into place for me because in terms of comfort and build I find this headphone hard to fault.

Feb 4, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #366 of 3,167
I know a couple of us have commented on the cable feeling a bit old school (3m w/ 1/4" jack) and feel that Denon should perhaps have made some concessions for the myriad of ways in which we get our hi-fidelity music 'fix' nowadays.

Of course Denon are not alone in this but one thing that did made me chuckle is that on the back of the box they are promoting their audiophile app for Android and IOS devices! Which is kind of ironic when the bundled cable is wholly unsuited to those devices and they don't presently offer one that is as an after market option...

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #367 of 3,167
May be that they've left the cans with just one cable in order to offer a competitive price for their flagships?

Another 1,2mt OFC copper cable with the trademark of Denon on its box could easily go up to 125-150€.

Enviado desde mi H1

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #369 of 3,167
For those of you who have these cans alongside a set of other Fostex or Fostex OEM headphones...is the construction of the new D7200 similar enough to suggest there's still some Fostex works underneath? Specifically, I'm curious as to whether the TH-X00 ebony, purpleheart, or E-Mus cups might be swappable on the 7200 to help create an even more personal sound signature (should one desire to do so).

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #371 of 3,167
  Originally Posted by michaellynn 

"I got my headphones yesterday, mine came with a Jupiter black spot. As I don't normally purchase wooden cups headphone, I have a question for anyone who does, do you think this black knot is acceptable? This doesn't appear on the other cup and the surface is smooth around it."

Those marketing pics sure are enticing and then we get reality. Shouldn't be long 'fore Lawton has his beautiful big buck cups for replacements.

That's actually part of what I was getting at...curious if the small cottage industry Lawton grew up around Fostex variants will translate directly to the new D7200 as well.

Feb 4, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #373 of 3,167
  Continuing to enjoy the low bass on these but the mids/highs continue to leave me a bit indifferent. Think I'm going to give them another couple of days and if they're still not 'clicking' I'll likely move them on and go back to my original plan and buy a pair of E-MU teak.

I've really been struggling to pinpoint and put into words exactly what it is about the 7200 that isn't quite gelling for me at present as they don't do anything overtly wrong tbh. Perhaps they're just more of a departure from the tuning the TH-X00 or my old D2K (or my idea of the Denon / Fostex 'sound') than I was expecting? Finding the mids in particular a bit 'flat' and for me personally I think I'm hankering for some of the richness and musicality that those headphones offered. Perhaps the mid-bass is also toned down a bit too much for my tastes removing a bit of warmth.

I know another owner commented on the D7200 sounding quite flat to his ears too and in his case that was something he appreciated, so suspect some will like the tuning of this headphone and others may not so much.

One thing I do really like though is that they have a nice openness about them which creates quite a believable sense of space with good recordings and finer details don't tend to get obscured (possibly a benefit of not being too mid bassy?).

Hopefully with some more hours on them things will start to fall into place for me because in terms of comfort and build I find this headphone hard to fault.

I get what you mean about the lack of warmth. IMO the D7100 was where they overdid cutting mid-bass and the headphone ended up sounding dry and "incoherent", i.e. there was no smooth transition from bass to midrange. With the D7200 I too hope for a D7000 reborn (which so far is close enough) but deep down I know that is unrealistic since Denon is using a different driver than the Fostex siblings. The D7100 also uses this driver but to me the D7200 has a much better tuning. IIRC the Lawton mods mostly served to dampen the old Dx000's, reducing mid-bass bleed while bringing midrange forward as well. Denon must have observed that and decided to take the matter into their own hands. One may or may not like that, but if you want something in the Fostex vein you likely won't run out of options any time soon since there are like 10+ different variants of that same design/driver out by now. I could've gone the same route, but I chose Denon because the name is special to me - it was the first big name in audio that I knew (yes, before I knew Sony). My dad used to have a loudspeaker system with a Denon receiver that I'd blast ABBA on whenever I could, and the D5000 was my first foray into this hobby, some kind of love at first sight.

Speaking of Fostex, there is one local guy offloading a TH900 mk1 for cheap. I'm tempted to grab it for some in depth A/B with my D7200 and money is not really a problem, just need some motivation. How about 5 likes/reps in 8 hours when I wake up?  P Hopefully it won't be gone by then, the ad has been up for 2 months already.

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #374 of 3,167

I get what you mean about the lack of warmth. IMO the D7100 was where they overdid cutting mid-bass and the headphone ended up sounding dry and "incoherent", i.e. there was no smooth transition from bass to midrange.

As a longtime user of the D7100, I have never found them to sound incoherent. I could see characterizing them as "dry" if one prefers a sound on the lush side of neutral.
May I ask what you typically drive the D7100 with?

By way of introduction, since I am new here, I have used Denon headphones exclusively for about the last seven years. Prior to that, I had a pair of Sennheiser 650.
My first Denons were a pair of D2000, upgraded to the D5000, and finally the D7100 when it came out. I guess I was in the minority, but I found the D7100 a general
improvement sonically on the D5000. I never heard the D7000, nor have I every heard the Fostex TH-900. The fragility of the cup mount is a deal-breaker for me.

My main issue with the D7100 is that the plastic can squeak at times. Generally, the build quality leaves a bit to be desired. For that reason I have ordered a pair of D7200
from Audio Sanctuary and look forward to comparing them to the D7100. If they sound as good or better, I will keep the new phones since it appears they are built
to a higher standard, plus I like their looks.

Feb 5, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #375 of 3,167

As a longtime user of the D7100, I have never found them to sound incoherent. I could see characterizing them as "dry" if one prefers a sound on the lush side of neutral.
May I ask what you typically drive the D7100 with?

By way of introduction, since I am new here, I have used Denon headphones exclusively for about the last seven years. Prior to that, I had a pair of Sennheiser 650.
My first Denons were a pair of D2000, upgraded to the D5000, and finally the D7100 when it came out. I guess I was in the minority, but I found the D7100 a general
improvement sonically on the D5000. I never heard the D7000, nor have I every heard the Fostex TH-900. The fragility of the cup mount is a deal-breaker for me.

My main issue with the D7100 is that the plastic can squeak at times. Generally, the build quality leaves a bit to be desired. For that reason I have ordered a pair of D7200
from Audio Sanctuary and look forward to comparing them to the D7100. If they sound as good or better, I will keep the new phones since it appears they are built
to a higher standard, plus I like their looks.

I ran the D7100, T1 and TH600 all with the Fostex HP-A8. For the record I also had the D600 and prefered that to the 7100. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back