Denon AH-7200
Jan 26, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #2,596 of 3,155
Hi,
The lacquer is really tough, so paint stripper is needed. I first tried a finish remover that cuts through wax, french polish, light lacquer to no avail, I wanted to use the least 'aggressive' method possible. I dismantled the headphones to do this, there is no other option. You will need a torx screwdriver or bits to dismantle the cans.

I had to use two coats of paint stripper, and even that didn't remove all the lacquer, I also used the less aggressive finish remover and steel wool with a lot of 'elbow grease' to complete the task.
When the wood dried out I rubbed it down with very fine glass paper then a final rub down with steel wool before applying the wax.
Over the past couple of weeks I did ponder over reattaching the 'DENON' letters, but ultimately I prefer to see as much walnut as possible, so the letters will remain stored away.
An oil finish would also be fine, either linseed oil or walnut oil would suffice. If you want less mess and want to avoid the drying time between coats of oil drying, then take the route I did and settle for wax.
What wax should you use if you opt for a wax finish? Some exotic expensive furniture wax possibly?
Well you could if you have money to burn, or you could take a tip passed on to me by a late master gun stock maker with over half a century of experience........
Buy a tin of neutral shoe polish! It's got everything you need in it at a fraction of the price of 'snake oil' wax!
Thank you for your reply and instructions.
that sounds like a good amount of work.
but if i have learned one thing while working with wood or handcrafting in general, it's that
every minute of effort was totally worth it, when the outcome is satisfying.

I'm just hesitant because i bought a quasi new unit (open-box), and if making
a major modification i should be very certain to be keeping that headphone.
and after dismantling i think the warranty is pretty much gone as well.

Then again the build feels really sturdy and probably nothing's gonna fail (i mean the price
has to be justified by something..).
those derps over at denon should have just used a wax or oil finish 😄 and a bit more headband-padding.
maybe they tested the headband on some zen-monks, those that destroy stoneplates with their heads 🧘‍♂️

Jan 26, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #2,597 of 3,155
Quick question guys, what balanced XLR cables are you using? I own a Singxer SDA-2 DAC with a XLR option. I want a decent budget cable, I see that AliExpress have this...
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000711110940.html
I live in the UK, any suppliers of reasonable priced cables over here?
Don't know what your definition of reasonable is, but you may have a look at "custom cans".

It takes ~ £110 for very good quality. :)

Jan 27, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #2,598 of 3,155
I have had very different experiences with AliExpress cables such as those. I bought one balanced for my Sennheiser HD599 with good resuls. Then I bought a balanced cable for my Etymotic ER4xr and it lies somewhere in a drawer since it is a piece of …I ended up buying the official balanced cable which initially did not buy because of the price.
After that when I wanted to buy a balanced cable for my 7200, I turned to a reliable Meze Audio 2,5 balanced with excellent result. No more AliExpress cables for me, it seems to be hit and miss. Unfortunately I cannot recommend any XLR cable.
Thanks for your views. :)

Jan 27, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #2,599 of 3,155
Don't know what your definition of reasonable is, but you may have a look at "custom cans".

It takes ~ £110 for very good quality. :)
I did wonder about Custom cans, I think they do one for around £80? I was just wondering about a cheaper option, maybe in the £50 region?

Jan 27, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #2,600 of 3,155
Thank you for your reply and instructions.
that sounds like a good amount of work.
but if i have learned one thing while working with wood or handcrafting in general, it's that
every minute of effort was totally worth it, when the outcome is satisfying.

I'm just hesitant because i bought a quasi new unit (open-box), and if making
a major modification i should be very certain to be keeping that headphone.
and after dismantling i think the warranty is pretty much gone as well.

Then again the build feels really sturdy and probably nothing's gonna fail (i mean the price
has to be justified by something..).
those derps over at denon should have just used a wax or oil finish 😄 and a bit more headband-padding.
maybe they tested the headband on some zen-monks, those that destroy stoneplates with their heads 🧘‍♂️
Glad to be of help. :)
Indeed, if you are concerned about invalidating your warranty put the process off for now. Although dismantling the 7200 is a straightforward job.

Jan 27, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #2,601 of 3,155
A bit of an embarrassing question. I was moving the stock left pad around and it came off.

Trying to put it back on but no luck. I know there must be at least the semi easy way to do it. I'm wondering if one of you could help me out.

Thanks

Jan 29, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #2,602 of 3,155
A bit of an embarrassing question. I was moving the stock left pad around and it came off.

Trying to put it back on but no luck. I know there must be at least the semi easy way to do it. I'm wondering if one of you could help me out.

Thanks
Happened to me as well. The pads just fell of after i adjusted them a bit. However i was able to put them back on, not even sure about the mechanism.
But look over here, this may help:

Jan 29, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #2,603 of 3,155
Happened to me as well. The pads just fell of after i adjusted them a bit. However i was able to put them back on, not even sure about the mechanism.

The problem with the Denon pads (at least with the 9200s pads, I suppose will be similar with the 7200s) is that when one pad fall, you will never be able to properly secure it again. The pad continues falling for example when you clean it after use. With my 9200s replacement I always clean very softly the pads because of that.

Jan 30, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #2,604 of 3,155

Thank you for taking the time to reply. One of the first things I did was Google the issue, and that exact video came up.

Unfortunately, no matter how many times I watched it, and tried to repeat the steps he was doing, I was unable to make it work for me.

I got to say it became a bit frustrating. It shouldn't take that much effort to reattach a pad. Or maybe I'm just really dumb when it comes to headphones?

This is the most expensive headphone I've ever owned, and now I have to watch it sit on my Bureau and collect Dust. At least Till I hopefully get some kind of inspiration.

Who knows how long that'll take though

Again, thanks

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #2,605 of 3,155
Just use a knife to go between the plastic ring and the headphone, 45° from x/y axis.
Press it gently and the ring will come off.

After reattaching the pad, place the ring on the holes and move it with a little pressure slightly, let's say, 8 to 2 o'clock and 4 to 10, the "pins" will snap it their position.

With this way, you avoid to break the "pins", bc they're very weak.

Jan 31, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #2,607 of 3,155
Does anyone use the D7200 with a WM1Z? I used to own the D5200 and really liked them but ended up with a good deal on the MDR-Z1R so sold them. I actually use iems mostly and ended up preferring my IER-Z1R and selling the Z1R to finance the 1Z but I can't help but feel like I should have a pair of overheads.
Obviously opinions and tastes vary but there can be a nice general synergy with some pairings and actually quite a few people don't seem to like the MDR-Z1R with the 1Z so I was hoping to hear of anyone's experience. I've seen a few comments about the treble being a bit laid back(?), as the 1Z has quite enhanced treble I hoped this might pair well.
I have experienced improvements with desktops over portable but as the Denons seem to be very easy to drive, so although I have the TA-ZH1ES I was looking at more use with the 1Z. I'd appreciate any shared experiences with the TA-ZH1ES/D7200 pairing also.
Thanks.

*purchased and awaiting arrival
1z and d7200 here.

Jan 31, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #2,608 of 3,155
1z and d7200 here.
The original owner only put about 5 hours on them so I'm currently seeing what some burn in hours do for them, will also allow time for my ears to adjust before deciding if they're keepers.
I have a history with Denon (D2000/D7000/D5200) - I love the later Dx200 design with the wood cups, probably the most handsome headphones in my opinion.

20220131_175527.jpg

Feb 8, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #2,609 of 3,155
Oh dear........My D7200's are not very well.
They have been working fine until today, was using them earlier this afternoon and i noticed some imbalance in the sound, left channel slightly more dominant than the right and a loss of bass.
After switching between sources to ensure i don't have an amp/DAC problem I was able to confirm my right ear speaker is the problem. as stated above, lower volume virtually zero bass.
Dismantled the ear cup to check for wiring issue, debris, all looks fine. When i was reading reviews prior to purchase, a few owners complained of cans arriving with faults or developing faults within days forcing the owners to return them, I'm not so lucky.
I purchased mine in late December as a lightly used pair, and because of the time interval I am not able to get a return under the Ebay guarantee.
I have contacted Denon UK through their website this evening to see what they suggest, this could end up being an expensive pair of cans......
I have owned forty year old Sennheiser cans without a single problem. In fact I can't remember having a major issue with any of the cans i've owned over the years, I'm making up for it now.......

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #2,610 of 3,155
Well I sold my D7200's on at a substantial loss. I won't be touching used Denon's again thanks to their QC and reliability, such a shame as the sound quality is magnificent.
Are the older Denon's D2000/D5000/ect more reliable because they use different drivers to these later models?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back