Denon AH-7200
Feb 25, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #2,626 of 3,144
Apologies for the late reply. With the help of another individual, I was finally able to reattach the pad to the ring.

By myself, it was like playing whack-a-mole.

The one thing else I would like to ask you or anyone else here.

An Individual on a YouTube video putting on the pads said they are supposed to align with the headphone entry holes

That the stitching on the pads are supposed to align with that.

True or false?
When i first got them i tried to adjust the pads a lot.
Then i left them how they were and i used the headphone w/o worrying. the pads adjust themselves when wearing.. at least that happened to me.. the stitching on both sides are now about a centimeter behind the 3.5mm jacks.

Feb 25, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #2,627 of 3,144
Well, with the second 'mod' using the elastic bands the issue pretty much disappears.
i dont get the hotspot on top of my head that i got with the unmodded headband. it's really comfortable.
i did remove 2 of the 4 elastic bands though, because the constant strain (compression) may not be very healthy for the genuine leather material (but maybe its only
an aesthetic thing and it doesnt do any harm to the leather at all, i guess time will tell).
however with only 2 elastic bands left the hotspot somewhat returns..
for now i am trying to figure out a way to bend the headband on the sides a little more, so it follows the shape of my head better. another way would be to find some
padding material to add on the sides.
i am still wondering what kind of ape-people the engineers tested the headbands on :D

how is it for you with the 9200? tried to mod anything with that? but if you still consider selling them, you probably shouldnt mess around too much with the headband..

When I received my AH-D9200s I was worried about comfort, because my last experience with headphones was the T 1.3 which I found extremely uncomfortable :slight_frown:. At first, I put them at 6 position, and I noticed a little hot spot just the first day... Based on people advices from here, I decided to elongate one position, I put them at 7 and had no issues at all since then.

When I received my second AH-D9200s (I replaced the first unit I had via technical service because the left driver didn't work) I also noticed that hot spot the first days (even at 7)... Anyway, if I have them on several hours each day for three or four days, I can feel a little -just a little- discomfort in the zone of my head where the headband contacts.

Here, you can see my first impressions when I received the 9200s, a few days ago I posted that in another thread :relieved: I hope you have a good time reading that and enjoy it. :relaxed:

Mar 14, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #2,628 of 3,144
fb107ac50aded853fa847dd3d1ee4767.png

Spent a lot of time EQ'ing this, as in my opinion, it definetly can be much better than what it is out of the box. I love this headphone. A lot of people say that it only works with certain genres or that it is uncomfortable. For me they are very comfortable, and after a bit of EQ fixing they sound great with just about any music that I throw at it! I tried the oratory1990 eq but it was way too shouty, which is what I usually feel with open backs. The result that I post here does keep that sweet bass, makes it less muddy and also fixes the missing higher mids/lower treble. If you want to try and you're limited to 10 bands, remove band 4 which is the smallest change.

Attachments

• fb107ac50aded853fa847dd3d1ee4767.png
    fb107ac50aded853fa847dd3d1ee4767.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 0
May 8, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #2,630 of 3,144
Has anyone used the Dekoni th-900 pads with these headphones? I prefer the round opening opposed to the oval of the stock pads. Wondering how much they alter the sound, and how.

Jul 13, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #2,632 of 3,144
Dear europeans,

I know that nowadays there are some problems in our region or near it (especially, the horrible war at Ukraine) and our local coin, €, has reached, lately, parity with the american dolar value...

... But I have a very good new today for us, regarding to the 7200s, and you still have some hours to take advantage of that offer...

Look at the price in amazon.de for a limited special offer they have due to the "prime deals" :smiley:

I hope that some of you can take the offer in time and enjoy the 7200s :L3000:

Jul 13, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #2,633 of 3,144
Dear europeans,

I know that nowadays there are some problems in our region or near it (especially, the horrible war at Ukraine) and our local coin, €, has reached, lately, parity with the american dolar value...

... But I have a very good new today for us, regarding to the 7200s, and you still have some hours to take advantage of that offer...

Look at the price in amazon.de for a limited special offer they have due to the "prime deals" :smiley:

Just half an hour left...

https://c.tenor.com/l78f4zqYS6AAAAAC/fly-you-fools-gandalf.gif

Aug 3, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #2,634 of 3,144
Dear europeans,

I couldn't resist the temptation and I pulled the trigger for them... Right now, I'm trying them with some metal music...

My first impression: if you remove some details and nuances from the 9200s and want to capture the raw sound of them, you obtain a 7200s. Maybe they are suitable for those albums where I find the 9200s too bright... Let´s see :L3000:

Denon' bass is something magic... :smiley:

Aug 3, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #2,635 of 3,144
I couldn't resist the temptation and I pulled the trigger for them... Right now, I'm trying them with some metal music...

My first impression: if you remove some details and nuances from the 9200s and want to capture the raw sound of them, you obtain a 7200s. Maybe they are suitable for those albums where I find the 9200s too bright... Let´s see :L3000:

Denon' bass is something magic... :smiley:
Yeah.
It's like comparing the Meze Empyrean and the Elite, i'd say. (in a wider sense) :)

Aug 3, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #2,636 of 3,144
lol so I still own D5200 and have tried D9200. Tuning wise I like D5200 better and D9200 feel like not enough bass. D5200 feels just right.

At this point is it worth it for me to try D7200? Or would I find D7200 too dark? :thinking:

Or should I try it anyway just to complete the trifecta LOL.

EDIT: I see a few people selling it in Canada, maybe it's a sign......

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #2,637 of 3,144
lol so uhhhhhh I mean this is a D7200 thread so I'd imagine everyone will point me towards D7200, but if any of you guys could provide me some unbiased opinions that would be appreciated. :laughing:

So my headphone history is something like:

D2000 (Still has it)
E-Mu Teak
E-Mu Rosewood Cup
TH-X00 Mahogany
TR-X00 Ebony
demo TH-X00 Purpleheart (Actually do like it, maybe I should've bought it)
E-Mu Bamboo Cup
D5000
TH900
D5200 (Still has it)
D9200
demo TH600
Hifiman R7DX (Current daily driver)
Hifiman R7DX JM Edition (Still has it, but will most likely sell it)

So I'm thinking to try either D7200, Elegia, NightOwl or wait for Sundara Closed for next headphone.

Truth be told, I think new Denon (D5200/D7200/D9200) are more refined but narrower soundstage, where as Fostex headphones are more semi-open and wider sounding but less refined. So different trade off.

Only thing holding me back is that I read D7200 is dark, and I kind of like my treble...... lol.

What do you guys think? :relaxed:

EDIT: I don't know why I type "hard", meant to say "dark", have fixed it.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #2,638 of 3,144
Imo,
it's hard to say.
The 7200 is darker, but nonetheless with lot's of detail.
Bass is a bit blurry for edm, ime.
Great for long term listening to metal, especially on higher volume level. :)
Worth a try anyway.

Don't know anything about your other considerations, so save the space for more experienced user. :ksc75smile:

Aug 4, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #2,639 of 3,144
Imo,
it's hard to say.
The 7200 is darker, but nonetheless with lot's of detail.
Bass is a bit blurry for edm, ime.
Great for long term listening to metal, especially on higher volume level. :)
Worth a try anyway.

Don't know anything about your other considerations, so save the space for more experienced user. :ksc75smile:
lol my preference is female vocal rock / acoustic / pop songs, with occasional watching movie trailer on youtube (that's where bass comes in LOL).

But yes let's see what people have to say..... on the other hand I guess buy and sell is part of the hobby lol. So probably doesn't hurt to try.

Aug 4, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #2,640 of 3,144
Hello,
You can skip the D7200 if you already had the other Fostex headphones.
It won't really feel like an upgrade.
Midrange and treble are a bit cleaner than the Fostexes.

The bass is where the Fostex is the clear winner. With the D7200, it will be good for you to start with.
But as a Fostex connoisseur, you will find that the bass is out of place with the D7200.
It's too powerful and bleeds into the midrange because of it.
And the bass quality of the Fostex is also much better and more spacious than the D7200.

To be honest, it should be tuned better.
I also found it slightly cut off in the treble range, although it was clear and smooth.

I listened to the D5200 on the Macintosh back then and found it really well tuned, but I have to say that a lot of it was down to the Macintosh amplifier.
The D5200 would have been enough for a relaxed, quiet session in the long run.

If you are a basshead, buy the D7200, if not, there are better options.
Or would go back to the Emu teak minimum.
One thing I have to say is that it's a shame that Fostex has stuck around and never released an update since the release.
Not even because of the rickety headband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back