Denon AH-7200
Mar 21, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #2,116 of 3,157
I just received an AH-D7200 and that is one uncomfortable motherf-----. I've used the B&W P9 and PX for hours on end and had no issue with the 660S' clamping force. But this son of a b---- hurts! Most uncomfortable headband ever. Hope it will become softer, because I really like the sound so far.
Agreed, it's very embarassing for Denon that they charge you this price for such an uncomfortable headband. And ironically the headband on D5200 and 9200 feel much nicer. I don't get what changed on the D7200, but it sucks yeah. The main reason why I sold mine was the headband, and no ZMF Pilot pad does not help. It makes the headband way too thick and barely fits on properly.

Mar 21, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #2,117 of 3,157
I just received an AH-D7200 and that is one uncomfortable motherf-----. I've used the B&W P9 and PX for hours on end and had no issue with the 660S' clamping force. But this son of a b---- hurts! Most uncomfortable headband ever. Hope it will become softer, because I really like the sound so far.
You've described my experience. I requested a return literally half hour after I received the parcel.
Considering the price, not worth imo. They could've changed it improve but nope.

Mar 24, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #2,118 of 3,157
20200324_151634.jpg

While waiting for my Dekoni Nuggets I've made a preliminary mod to the headband with two pieces of foam and some self-adhering tape. Ugly, but does the trick for now.

Mar 24, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #2,119 of 3,157
20200324_151634.jpg

While waiting for my Dekoni Nuggets I've made a preliminary mod to the headband with two pieces of foam and some self-adhering tape. Ugly, but does the trick for now.
Amazing what's needed to make a beautiful headphone turn into an abomination. Too bad we can't replace the entire headband.

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #2,121 of 3,157
Hello...read wall pages...is there a comparasion between B&W P9 and 7200?
Thanks
P9 doesn't have such good sub-bass and is overall more flat in the mids, but darker in treble. 7200 on the other hand has a little boosted mids (vocals) but excellent clarity and great bass, treble is smooth and never fatiguing as well. Both are dark in the treble but P9 a bit more so, D7200 has excellent treble extension.

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #2,122 of 3,157
P9 doesn't have such good sub-bass and is overall more flat in the mids, but darker in treble. 7200 on the other hand has a little boosted mids (vocals) but excellent clarity and great bass, treble is smooth and never fatiguing as well. Both are dark in the treble but P9 a bit more so, D7200 has excellent treble extension.
Thank you.
I am a bass lover...couple members told me that the 7200 is boring...
Do you think so?
The bass can rumble?
Thank you.

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #2,123 of 3,157
The issue with the 7200, is that the whole upper rage from mids to trebles is lowerd around 3db, causing a sound less bright that neutral.
Add in the woody tonality to the lower spectrum, and you can get a more colorful sound, which is still good.

The driver is more resolving than all the rest out there, including the fostex versions even the th900, but it is not evident because of the lowered trebles.

Just use EQ and you will be good.

The best closed headphone is arguably the Denon9200, as its resolve approaches closely to Utopia.

I owned them, but moving back to open cans..

Mar 27, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #2,127 of 3,157
Thank you.
I am a bass lover...couple members told me that the 7200 is boring...
Do you think so?
The bass can rumble?
Thank you.
Boring? 7200? Hell no. It was very fun to listen to. It's got great bass, it rumbles more than it thumps and it's really great for genres like hip hop or modern music. But heck I enjoyed everything on it. I loved the sound, I just hated the stupidly uncomfortable headband.

Mar 28, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #2,130 of 3,157
The issue with the 7200, is that the whole upper rage from mids to trebles is lowerd around 3db, causing a sound less bright that neutral.
Add in the woody tonality to the lower spectrum, and you can get a more colorful sound, which is still good.

The driver is more resolving than all the rest out there, including the fostex versions even the th900, but it is not evident because of the lowered trebles.

Just use EQ and you will be good.

The best closed headphone is arguably the Denon9200, as its resolve approaches closely to Utopia.

I owned them, but moving back to open cans..
D7200 sounds interesring to me if it's not as bright, but is still resolving. I like more relaxed responses for general long term listening.

I guess the issue would be if the bass is too much the upper frequncies not standing out. Is this an issue?

I wonder what the difference is bass is from the D9200?

Does the sound of the two depend a lot on the wood? D9200 is bamboo and I wonder what the properties of bamboo is? For Fostex, I like the acoustics of Ebony wood.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back