Denon AD-D5000 or HD650 balanced
Apr 28, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, they are pretty much the same, spare the better cable which you don't believe in anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure that if you or Gradofan2 ever get a chance to mod your headphones, as countless other D2000/D5000 owners have, you'll have a completely new perspective regarding the darkness or lack of detail of these phones. I get what you two are writing about as I had felt the same way, but the mod has literally changed the sound in a whole better way. There's a reason why no one has yet to write anything negative about the mod.

Apr 28, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #17 of 22
I found the stock D5000s to be as unresolving as my unbalanced HD600s, certainly much less detailed than the SA5000s. But the markl mod made a drastic improvement in this regard. I think they're a notch more detailed than the SA5000s. And they have much better bass extension too.

Apr 28, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #18 of 22
I have read a few negative posts on the markl mod, in the original thread. But mostly positive responses. I would do the mod for my D2000's but my Zere doesn't really go far enough to rattle my head, unless a certain lifeless opamp is installed, but then its like where the hell did the dyanamics/soundstage go? I have done the markl earpad mod and am really happy with that. I haven't heard the 650's but would really like to, one of these days.

Apr 28, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The whole old/new HD650 is a total made up. My Zu recabled single ended HD650 (old if you want to call it this way) trounced well burned in D2000 in details and everywhere else out of GS-1. And it wasn't some casual meet listening, I owned two pairs of Denon for prolonged period of time. They are okay closed phones, but I just couldn't justify to keep them as HD650 does everything better, especially details.

Perhaps... the "sound" improvements of the "new" HD650s are "made up" - but there most certainly are "old" and "new" versions of the HD650s - they "old" version has the black silk fabric covering the slots in the element housing / frame... and... the "new" version has the white/silver metalic fabric covering the slots. You can plainly see the difference through the screens from the outside of the phones.

The same was true of the "old" vs "new" versions of the HD580/600s. I've heard the "old" version of the HD580/600s compared to the "new" version and the "new" version is most definitely "brighter," and appears to be more detailed... and the bass seems tighter.

I don't know about the same comparison between the "old" and "new" version of the HD650s - but, I would expect a similar improvement in their sound as well.

I have heard the "old" version of the HD650s... and... they are clearly slow, and dark, sounding phones, which do not sound as detailed as the "new" version of the HD580/600s, or the D5000s.

By the way... Sennheiser... has confirmed these changes in the fabric - though they indicated they didn't think there was any difference in the sound - which seems absurd. Why else would you make changes to two models of your line, if everyone was "raiving about how great their slow, dark sound was"... and was "grabbing them up." On the other hand... you most certainly would make those changes... if... every one was "ranting about how slow, dark their sound was"... and was "grabbing everything else up."

They quite clearly made the changes... the only question is... how much did those changes make to the sound.

Apr 29, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #20 of 22
Yes I own Equinox ... with balanced, I don't need more conductors?

My equinox have 2 cables for each side. Can be interesting to reterminated while a new one is about 500$ once I got it with all fees ...

Apr 29, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #21 of 22
I have both (although my HD 650's are unbalanced).

If I was forced to choose between them, I would probably land on the D5000. Ultimately, I think it's a little more refined and detailed than the HD 650. That being said, there are times when I prefer listening to the HD 650, and I find myself switching back and fourth quite often these days. The HD 650 certain has a wider soundstage and more airiness to the sound, the D5000 by contrast is more immediate sounding.

Both headphones are extremely scalable. Some people on this forum have $15,000 behind a pair of HD 650's, so that says something.

I think they both sound best when powered by a very neutral, very clean, and very quit solid state amp. Especially the D5000's, which can pickup noise on lower-end constructions, especially tube amps.

Apr 29, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #22 of 22
My HD650 have more front presentation while my D5000 have more lateral presentation.

It's more easy to hear distortion, hissss with the D5000 but I hear it too with HD650 but it's not as in your face as the D5000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back