Denon A100 First Impressions (A review)
Dec 1, 2010 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

anirudh0802

100+ Head-Fier

Overview/Introduction

About a week ago, I got my Denon A100 headphones. These headphones look stunning in every possible way. I have also heard the D5000’s and D2000’s. So I can compare these 3 cans. Unfortunately, I have never heard the D7000’s (and the 1100's) so I cannot make a comparison between those.

What I listen to
I listen to pretty much all types of music genres but here is the breakdown of the percentages so you know what my bias is.
Hiphop/rap: 40%
Techno/dance: 20%
Classical: 20%
Rock: 10%
Jazz: 5%

Review Gear

I’ve been using my MacBook Pro and iPod (4th gen & Nano) to review these headphones. All my music is 320 ACC.

Headphone Specifications
Type: Dynamic type
Drive Units: 50 mm Neodymium Magnet
Imput Impedance: 32 ohms
Sensitivity: 101 dB/mW
Maximum input: 1,300 mW
Frequency response: 5-37,000
Weight: 195 g, (not including cable)

Physical Appearance

The A100’s cable is really not all that great. It’s puny compared to the D2000/5000 but these cans are meant for portability. The 3.5 mm jack does fit in all the way if you connect an iphone 4 with a case.  These cans are very light. If you use them for more than an hour, you don’t notice them on after a while. 

Sound Leakage/Cancelation
The ear pads are very soft and there is no sound leakage. From 1-50% volume, you can’t hear any sound. Go above that, and you can start hearing the music within a 5 feet radius. As far as hearing others, these are not noise cancelling headphones.  With the volume at 5-10%, I could still hear the fan in my room.

Sound Signature

Starting with the bass, I will say that if you are a bass enthusiast, then you will love these headphones. The bass is tight, well defined and has a good impact. Extension is excellent. There are times when the impact is a little overwhelming, but overall I think the punchy sound is very enjoyable.

The presentation of the midrange is excellent. With some headphones, you can have too much bass drowning out the midrange. This is not the case here; the midrange keeps up with the bass.  Unlike ajreynol though, I find no problem with the midrange.

As far as the highs go, I would prefer the A100’s instead of the D5000, but that’s just my personal preference. I would have to disagree with ajreynol’s statement that the wooden cups hurt the cans. I absolutely enjoy the high end of the spectrum with a little warmth.

I find the sound stage to be very good. I wasn't expecting much but I consider the sound stage to be pretty wide here. Listening to classical, instrument separation is something I value here and I find it perfect.

iPod 

Connecting my cans to my 4th generation iPod and nano, I was amazed how much my ipods could drive these headphones. I was thoroughly impressed and as far as the sound goes, everything was there.

Conclusion
After spending a good amount of time with the A100, I am going to keep them. Would I have chosen the A100 again? Absolutely. If the D5000 and A100 were beside me, I would choose the A100 hands down.

Sound quality: A100 ~=D5000 >D2000

If you have any other specific questions, then please post them in the comments. I would be happy to answer them. And if you are in the bay area (south) and you want to try these headphones out, I wouldn’t mind hosting a small meetup.

Note: These are my thoughts using my ears and other denon headphones as a reference. I’ve only spent a week with them, so my opinion could change after a month (or two). Everyone has a different opinion. At the end of the day though, you determine what would be best for your ears. 

Dec 1, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 14
Great review! I also have the A100 and I cannot agree more. My current portable rig is WhipMod + “Fat Boy" + Pico Slim + A100. Absolutely amazing. Personally I enjoy A100 better than ESW10.

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 14
Yes, the A100's are suppose to be enjoyable! I plan on getting a sony X series mp3 or maybe a cowan X7. @etyhead, I don't plan on getting the 1100 anytime soon 
atsmile.gif

For me a portable dac/amp is too much.

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 14
I have now had the A100s for a few days and I like them a lot. There's no problem driving them from my iPod Touch 64 gig 3rd gen or iPad. They're about as sensitive as the AKG 450s I would guess, so much more sensitive than the D5000s which I also have. Sound quality I think is much more pleasant with the A100s than the D5000s. The D5000s have fatter and more deep bass, but the overall frequency response is just unpleasant to listen to compared to the A100s which are more balanced and don't have the same piercing treble which really grates on you after a while.

I think the A100s are the best portable headphones I've owned by a very big margin and even at home I listen to them instead of my HD 800s for a lot of music since their sound just makes a lot of music that's kind of well mixed but still kind of loudness mixed sound much better than with the HD 800s which are a bit too merciless at times. They work well across many genres and so far I'm very happy with my purchase.

EDIT: They isolate much better than the D5000s. I would say that their isolation is above average, but not as good as the Sennheiser 280s. The D5000s don't isolate well at all.

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
so much more sensitive than the D5000s which I also have. Sound quality I think is much more pleasant with the A100s than the D5000s. The D5000s have fatter and more deep bass, but the overall frequency response is just unpleasant to listen to compared to the A100s which are more balanced and don't have the same piercing treble which really grates on you after a while.

I think the A100s are the best portable headphones I've owned by a very big margin and even at home I listen to them instead of my HD 800s for a lot of music since their sound just makes a lot of music that's kind of well mixed but still kind of loudness mixed sound much better than with the HD 800s which are a bit too merciless at times. They work well across many genres and so far I'm very happy with my purchase.

EDIT: They isolate much better than the D5000s. I would say that their isolation is above average, but not as good as the Sennheiser 280s. The D5000s don't isolate well at all.

I would agree with you on them sounding better than the D5000's. Did you buy yours online?

Dec 3, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #11 of 14
Jan 24, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #13 of 14
They look reeeaallllyyy nice...

Bit of a silly question but, A100 vs. D5000 MarkL moded?

I know it's a long shot but.... I though I'd pose the question.

J

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #14 of 14
i was looking for a pair of closed backs... the denon range especially. if i can make my mind up quickly.. another contender enters the arena.. >:]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back