Denon 5000 vs. Denon 7000
Jun 21, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #16 of 33
I have owned the d5000 and the d7000 and I would call the d7000's about a 20-25% improvement over the the d5000. But seeing as how you can typically get a d5000 for about 400 bucks and a d7000 for roughly 700 it's almost double the value. To me, as a d7000 owner, I do feel as though to d5000 is the best value out of the line. At the same time, I think the difference between them is bigger than some people admit. I think the d 7000 is superior in every way to the d5000 but not by a large margin in any specific department. Still, to call the d5k sloppy is pretty surprising. I have a review detailing the differences between both of them so I won't get into specifics but I think both headphones have certain niches and neither of them are what I would call 'sloppy'

Jun 21, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:
I'm sorry but this is grossly inaccurate. I did not own the early versions of the Denon line but I have owned all three since Denon did a sneaky revision on the drivers a few years ago. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I have to strongly disagree. 

To my ears there is about a 10% difference between the d5k and the d7k. The 7k is more resolving and producers detail better and the bass has somewhat better texture with the right amp/dac... but honestly you really need a professional pair of ears to hear it. There is a select group of people who could get it right in a/b testing with the right equipment. I guess you must be one of them.  On the other hand most people would easily be able to flesh out the difference between the d2k and d5k. 

And then you put the d5k below the d2k...seriously? Again, you can maintain whatever stance you like. But I feel an obligation to help people who are new hear make choices about spending their hard earned money. I've certainly spent my fair share and freely give away my advice to help others. 

To the OP...given the small difference in price, it would make more sense to get the d7k. But for most the d5k is the best bang for the buck IMO.

So there's a 10% difference as opposed to a 6.3% difference, can a human even pickup on anything less than a 10% change? Just busting your chops. It looks like you've been on a bit of a posting frenzy since signing up recently, remember quality over quantity!

This has nothing to do with a select group of golden ears that can discern a miniscule difference between the headphones, they're two different headphones. Anyone that's seen my Denon-bashing posts prior to hearing the D7000s knows I quite dislike the D2/5k comparing it to cans like the $30 JVC RX700. Alas, I now own the D7000s.

While retaining the 'Denon sound signature' the D7000s are much more refined, and while that may not seem like a night-and-day difference to you plenty of people here spends thousands on finding refinement within their own setup. For example a D7000 directly out of an iPod will still sound like a D7000, however the refinement with a good desktop amp and DAC is more than worth it to the majority of head-fiers. While this may cause further confusion, to me a D5000 is like that lonely iPod setup while the D7000 a multi-thousand-dollar desktop setup... and even then I'm not really doing them justice.

I listen to a wide genre of music and appreciate accuracy within instruments/vocals, the D2/5k spoiled everything apart from electronica and if that's all you listen too you're likely to know no better. The D7000s while not perfect are much better with instruments/vocals while retaining their bass impact.

Anyway thinking your opinion carries more weight than anyone else and playing the sympathy card isn't going to get you anywhere.

You're entitled to your own opinion, keep it at that.

Edit: I will add that the D7000 cost me $550 new and I feel they're worth about that, maybe a little less to be fair. The D5000 as I mentioned above are in my opinion almost flawed, not a hi-fi product, get rid of the wood, slap some plastic on there and you've got yourself a $50 sound. So when the question is are the D7000s worth $300 more than the D5000 it's a no-brainer.

Jun 21, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #19 of 33
I have a lot of posts because I'm on head fi every day making an effort to help people who are just getting started make good decisions when I have first hand experience. If you want to call that playing "a sympathy card" then I suppose you're entitled.  

Bottom line, if I feel that you are grossly misleading people about the d5k, then it's within my right to give people what I feel is accurate information. 

Back to the OP...the d5k remains the best bargain but in your case given the small price difference I'd stick to the d7k as it is slightly better. You'll get a slightly bigger and better finished set of wooden cups. The magnet driver is modestly stronger...somewhere around 11% according to Denon. The cable on the d5k and d7k are the same with the exception of termination with the d7k utilizing at 1/4" plug. 

gL!!

Jun 21, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:
And Tyll put the D2000 & D5000 (but not the D7000) on his Wall of Fame:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/luscious-denon-ah-d2000-ah-d50000-and-ah-d7000-page-3

It's safe to say that opinions will differ.

Hmmm...d7k is not on the Wall of Fame? Kinda makes you think that the reviewer felt the d5k was just a better bargain, even thought the d7k was slightly better overall. Sounds familiar. 

Jun 21, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #21 of 33
For me D7000 while having about 10% less bass have more refined low level detail retrieval sounding more natural and "organic' plus almost no harsh distorted highs with recordings having too high recording level.

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #22 of 33
I never understood why people say the d7000 has less bass. I heard that a lot before I purchased them and I now that I own them I just don't think it's true at all. I think it has just as much it's just better quality bass. Just another example of how people heard differently I guess.

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #23 of 33
D7000 without question although I wasn't impressed with their performance tbh. HD700?

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:
I have a lot of posts because I'm on head fi every day making an effort to help people who are just getting started make good decisions when I have first hand experience. If you want to call that playing "a sympathy card" then I suppose you're entitled.  

Bottom line, if I feel that you are grossly misleading people about the d5k, then it's within my right to give people what I feel is accurate information. 

Back to the OP...the d5k remains the best bargain but in your case given the small price difference I'd stick to the d7k as it is slightly better. You'll get a slightly bigger and better finished set of wooden cups. The magnet driver is modestly stronger...somewhere around 11% according to Denon. The cable on the d5k and d7k are the same with the exception of termination with the d7k utilizing at 1/4" plug. 

gL!!

And there you go again, maybe you don't know you're doing it.

All that aside let me see if I understand your "non-misleading" post... only people with golden ears can hear a difference between the D5k and D7k yet you recommend the D7k anyway?

I wonder if you've even heard them or you're just another 'hearsayer'.

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:
I never understood why people say the d7000 has less bass. I heard that a lot before I purchased them and I now that I own them I just don't think it's true at all. I think it has just as much it's just better quality bass. Just another example of how people heard differently I guess.

Less bass as in it doesn't overflow (as much) like the previous models.

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

And there you go again, maybe you don't know you're doing it.

All that aside let me see if I understand your "non-misleading" post... only people with golden ears can hear a difference between the D5k and D7k yet you recommend the D7k anyway?

I wonder if you've even heard them or you're just another 'hearsayer'.

Of course I'd recommend to the OP. I've all along that they were slightly better. The OP only has to spend a little over $100 to get the d7k over the d5k. In his case, I think that it's worth it. But for most of us paying conus prices I'd suggest the d5k all day given the price versus performance ratio. 

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #27 of 33
At the risk of getting off topic, I don't appreciate the vanity comment...Graph. Especially from someone who starts a thread congratulating himself on his number of post...lol

http://www.head-fi.org/t/448554/post-1500

wink_face.gif

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:
At the risk of getting off topic, I don't appreciate the vanity comment...Graph. Especially from someone who starts a thread congratulating himself on his number of post...lol

wink_face.gif

Back in the day every member did it, I used my spot to share a link... yes, I'm a monster.

Edit: It took me, like most back then, about 4 years... how long did it take you.

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

wink_face.gif

LOL, but i an attest to your quality of posts, and for not speaking about what you you are not sure of.
I think I tend to post crap sometimes (not in a misinformation sense, but in a pointless post sense)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back