DENAFRIPS Terminator: the King of R2R dac
Jun 29, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #781 of 1,025
I use a cheap Windows netbook to play hirez files over USB. It sounded great straight into my T2 but I recently acquired a Gaia and now it sounds even better. S/PDIF from my CD player sounds better with the Gaia + T2 as well.

Jun 29, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #782 of 1,025
I have also used a Windows NUC to connect to my Hermes when I first started as a source. Upgrading to an Auralic Altair Streamer improved the sound tremendously when connected to the USB in the Hermes as a source. Now playing Tidal or Qobuz through the Auralic Lightning DS is seemless and very convenient.

Jul 3, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #783 of 1,025
I have also used a Windows NUC to connect to my Hermes when I first started as a source. Upgrading to an Auralic Altair Streamer improved the sound tremendously when connected to the USB in the Hermes as a source. Now playing Tidal or Qobuz through the Auralic Lightning DS is seemless and very convenient.

I'm curious what software you were using on your NUC? I'm using Foobar2000 (with the ASIO driver) and I'm happy with the sound via USB. But my netbook is getting old and I'm always on the lookout for something better. I've heard a lot of good things about Auralic streamers, but I'm not keen on spending that kind of money for a "full featured" streamer when all I want to do is play files from an external HD. For a variety of reasons I really like Foobar and that means I'm kinda stuck with Windows.

Jul 3, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #784 of 1,025
I'm curious what software you were using on your NUC? I'm using Foobar2000 (with the ASIO driver) and I'm happy with the sound via USB. But my netbook is getting old and I'm always on the lookout for something better. I've heard a lot of good things about Auralic streamers, but I'm not keen on spending that kind of money for a "full featured" streamer when all I want to do is play files from an external HD. For a variety of reasons I really like Foobar and that means I'm kinda stuck with Windows.
Did you know that foobar is a streamer too. Install upnp plugins. Use m connect app from mobile to stream to foobar on same wifi network. It's completely bit perfect solution with benefit of asio output.

Jul 3, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #785 of 1,025
Did you know that foobar is a streamer too. Install upnp plugins. Use m connect app from mobile to stream to foobar on same wifi network. It's completely bit perfect solution with benefit of asio output.
Thanks, foobar is good stuff. At this point I don't stream, I just play files I've downloaded or ripped. But most of my listening is still physical media: CDs and LPs.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #786 of 1,025
Thanks, foobar is good stuff. At this point I don't stream, I just play files I've downloaded or ripped. But most of my listening is still physical media: CDs and LPs.
The point is you don't have to add or change or buy anything for streaming. This is the beauty of foobar. M connect app is free too. You may try tidal one month subscription.

Jul 3, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #787 of 1,025
The point is you don't have to add or change or buy anything for streaming. This is the beauty of foobar. M connect app is free too. You may try tidal one month subscription.

So, it sounds like you are using foobar. Can I ask what kind of device you are running it on?

Aug 24, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #789 of 1,025
Anyone have experience with the Terminator II for gaming or movies? I primarily use my audio system for gaming and I recently became aware of the Denafrips latency issues.

Only info I got so far is that the original Terminator has half the latency of the Ares, but still enough latency to disrupt gaming sessions.

Aug 24, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #790 of 1,025
Anyone have experience with the Terminator II for gaming or movies? I primarily use my audio system for gaming and I recently became aware of the Denafrips latency issues.

Only info I got so far is that the original Terminator has half the latency of the Ares, but still enough latency to disrupt gaming sessions.
Game sound is built for computer sound systems. Your best bet is a 2.1 headphone system built by a gaming focused company.

Movie sound is built for HT processing. Your best bet is a 11.2.6 HT surround decoder (or whatever the high end is now).

For stereo output of music, the Terminator will be a good fit. Not so much for movies. Not at all for games.

Sep 10, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #793 of 1,025
Now that I’ve sold my Rockna Wavelight to another forum member, I’m all in on the Denafrips Gaia/Terminator Plus combo. It is the most incredibly detailed DAC combo I have ever heard, save the DAVE. Listening to Robyn’s classic Body Talk album right now in the dark, and the sound is so clear and holographic. I can hear every synthesized note and beat. So much programming went into that album.

Last night I listened to Lady Blackbird on my old iFi iDSD Pro/iCan Pro combo with the Focal Stellia, and that was fun and laid-back in a way that this setup just isn’t. This Denafrips/Pathos/HE-1000SE setup is SERIOUS about bringing out every last detail in the music, and it lets you know it. It’s not in your face about it, but it’s so thorough in the work it does. You will hear everything, whether you want to or not.

It’s a great organic-sounding combo, but I kinda wish for a tablespoon of the legendary smoothness of the Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC and the X-Bass switch from the iCan Pro amp to add to the mix.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #794 of 1,025
-deleted

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #795 of 1,025
Seeing the TII release I feel like I've got kicked in the nuts for buying a Chinese DAC again, no not because they are bad but because these things depracate worse than a brand new Alfa Romeo. Topping, SMSL, Matrix - all the same, after a year nobody wants them because they are a seasonal hype, then the manufacturer tweaks a few things, some folks start writing essays on how it makes it a 'game changer' (how typical in audio) and the new hype train departs.
They promised the Termi to be the 'reference' for the next couple of years still they release a new model 1-2 times a year making the previous lose 50% of the value because they start putting the previous TOTL features into cheaper models. :frowning2: It was kind of predictable though but for me one last time I bought Chinese gear. Sorry for the rant, justr having a bitter taste in my mouth seeing how quickly they release these things....my Termi lost like 60% of it's value within a few months now.
I think that's the issue with wanting to "upgrade" every 5 minutes? I think folks should consider settling down ...taking a deep breath and keeping your gear (and be happy with it) for at least a few years. There is always going to be something "better". If you play into this you'll never be satisfied. I was like this too, but eventually got to the point where "good enough" is a much more sustainable existance. I've set myself an imposed limit of at least 5 years with the gear I buy, before even considering a change. Made me and my wallet a lot happier!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back