DENAFRIPS Terminator: the King of R2R dac
Feb 10, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #738 of 1,025
That's very interesting, did they provide any details on how it's different from the Terminator Plus?

I bought a Venus II last year and I've been very happy with it. It's a wonderful dac and is easily the best I've owned. Built like a tank as well and the sound is perfect for my tastes.

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #739 of 1,025
Ops... Supposedly a soft launch but I guess internet makes news spread in split second, blazing fast?

I will be posting more details when I get back to my desk 😃

Feb 10, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #740 of 1,025
I just got the new Terminator II released just recently and this thing is heavy as in real heavy. Hard time lifting it up even. The sound is as massive as its weight. Gigantic sound stage is what I first noticed with ultra high resolution on high while bass is still kinda bloated at the moment so I had to use to EQ to bring it down few notches but it sure has massive impact. I am hoping I can refine the bass region with further burn-in. This is some organic sounding DAC at best. I have no complaints about the sound output excepts it requires a little more bass frequency refinement.

One major complaint I have about this thing is that it doesn't have the auto standby mode or no power switch. No remote. At its idle it constantly draws about 24 watt doing nothing which is not energy efficient at all.
Wonderful choice!
In regards to the uncontrolled base response at the moment, are you using any over sampling or just NOS which might result in less control over base response especially during break in?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #742 of 1,025
Wonderful choice!
In regards to the uncontrolled base response at the moment, are you using any over sampling or just NOS which might result in less control over base response especially during break in?

Yeah, I had the NOS enabled on the device so perhaps I should turn it off? Have any idea what this ASIO Buffer Size do?
The DAC sounds quite warm yet laser detail to pinprick with awesome dynamics. Have feeling this would get even better in few days.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #743 of 1,025
The Terminator II DAC, is a trickle down of the Terminator-Plus DAC.

TII.jpg

Improvements of the Terminator II over the Terminator:
- Total segregation of Digital Signal Processing and R-2R Network Arrays (Analog) boards
- Oven-Controlled Crystal Oscillators replace the TCXO clocks
- High-speed Digital Isolation. The silicon-dioxide (SiO2 ) isolation barrier with isolated power supply effective isolate the ground and block the noise from one end to the other
- Redesigned Power Supply Unit (encapsulated underneath the DAC boards)
- Supercapacitors for Digital & Analogue circuitry for high energy storage to ensure supply of constant cleaned DC power to the circuitry
- Clock Out eco-system to sync with DENAFRIPS DDC, and future DENAFRIPS components

The Terminator is shape shift into the molten metal!

Feb 11, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #744 of 1,025

TII.jpg

- Total segregation of Digital Signal Processing and R-2R Network Arrays (Analog) boards
- High-speed Digital Isolation. The silicon-dioxide (SiO2 ) isolation barrier with isolated power supply effective isolate the ground and block the noise from one end to the other
- Supercapacitors for Digital & Analogue circuitry for high energy storage to ensure supply of constant cleaned DC power to the circuitry
- Clock Out eco-system to sync with DENAFRIPS DDC, and future DENAFRIPS components

How is the price going to compare to the Terminator Plus?

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #745 of 1,025

TII.jpg

What does the Terminator Plus have over it?

Feb 11, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #746 of 1,025
The Terminator Plus featuring premier, precision Oven Controlled Crystal Oscillators.
The OCXOs are hand-crafted, calibrated, and hand-picked for absolute lowest jitter. The two independent OCXOs cater for native 44.1kHz and 48kHz based audio frequency family.

TPlus Unboxing (18)R.jpg

Take a closer look of the DENAFRIPS Terminator Plus R-2R DAC!
https://www.denafrips.com/single-post/terminator-plus-unboxing

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #747 of 1,025
The Terminator Plus featuring premier, precision Oven Controlled Crystal Oscillators.
The OCXOs are hand-crafted, calibrated, and hand-picked for absolute lowest jitter. The two independent OCXOs cater for native 44.1kHz and 48kHz based audio frequency family.

TPlus Unboxing (18)R.jpg

Take a closer look of the DENAFRIPS Terminator Plus R-2R DAC!
https://www.denafrips.com/single-post/terminator-plus-unboxing

Alvin, take a break. Happy Chinese Lunar New Year! May your business enjoy a bull run in the year of Ox and beyond!

Feb 13, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #749 of 1,025
Looks like an interesting upgrade. Just before Christmas I bought a Terminator from the European distributor, it is a pity I didn't wait a little longer to get this upgraded version. Anyhow, I got the 2020 upgrades with different caps and TCXO clock compared to the 2019 version, and it sounds lovely. What are we going to call that version, "Terminator 2020-version"?

I need to upgrade my network player though, I currently use a Allo DigiOne signature connected with coax to the Terminator, but I've been thinking about a Innuos Zenith mk3 if I can find one at a good price. I've been considering a Denafrips Hermes to go with my current player as an upgrade for it so I could try other inputs of the Terminator, f.x the i2s. That could also be used whenever I find a new player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back