DENAFRIPS Terminator: the King of R2R dac
Jul 10, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #706 of 1,025
I have a very bizarre problem with my Terminator. Lately my AES input is working intermittently. First I was getting sound cut outs and then sometimes it wouldn't make any sound at all. I tried a brand new AES cable (wireworld starlight) and a weird thing happened, no matter my source (di20HE or Lumin u1 mini) the sound plays with only 1 album (Vanessa hernadez) but I played 10 other albums and none of them play any sound. I tried both the AES inputs on the terminator and I get the same problem. How is this possible?

I2s works flawlessly as does coax.

Jul 10, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #707 of 1,025
The album that is working is 176.4 Khz and the ones that are not working at 44.1 kHz.

Jul 10, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #709 of 1,025
The album that is working is 176.4 Khz and the ones that are not working at 44.1 kHz.
44.1kHz 16 bits (CD quality files) or 24-bit? Try to force 24-bit output in your player/OS (it will be padding zeros). 176.4kHz files are normally 24-bits, I expect a problem with a shorter bit debth.

Jul 10, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #710 of 1,025

He can also try digital coaxial to confirm your diagnosis. Cheers.

Jul 11, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #711 of 1,025
Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #713 of 1,025
https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/denafrips7/

Glad clock outputs of TP is finally explored here albiet I need to test out gaia to sync instead of daisy chain my Avatar and demo gaia next week .. and to be continued.

I prefer direct connection to TP of the Avatar and also my Antipodes ex via usb but will be interesting especially if conversion to i2s in gaia of this usb and synced clock to TP's ocxo clock will be better sound quality.

Cheers.

Richard

Powess of synced digital components:
Screenshot_20200726-013423_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200726-013654_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #715 of 1,025
44.1kHz 16 bits (CD quality files) or 24-bit? Try to force 24-bit output in your player/OS (it will be padding zeros). 176.4kHz files are normally 24-bits, I expect a problem with a shorter bit debth.

Ok so I tried this, forcing 44.1, 24 bit in windows 10 didn't work and the test tones function in the advanced device properties also didn't play. BUT when I set it to 24 bit, 176400 Hz, the test tone plays. If I force this though, 44.1 hz 24 bit files don't work. This is all in AES input mode. Coax and I2S work fine with any files.

Time for a Termmy Plus.

Ya right. For that kind of cash I'd look to another brand.

@smodtactical I’m not sure whether enabling dual AES input causes any issues with single AES input. Could you have enabled it inadvertently?

Instructions here: https://www.denafrips.com/single-post/2020/03/10/TERMINATOR-DAC---Configuration

I actually did have it in dual AES mode before, but getting out of it didn't fix the issue.

He can also try digital coaxial to confirm your diagnosis. Cheers.

Coax does not have the issue, it can play anything. Same with I2s.

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #716 of 1,025
Ya right. For that kind of cash I'd look to another brand.

Hi smodtactical,

For another sgd2.7k compared to the standard Terminator that you had already bought and presumably enjoyed, what are alternatives with ocxo clock and synced clock options with ddc for various digital sources and cdp that improves the sound quality by such a big margin ?

If you had tried like I did and more dac in your system to found improvement not significant and much more with alternative dac, then of course my question is redundant.

Meanwhile, I am tapping my feet and still overjoyed what I am hearing from my bel canto fm tuner via the gaia with synced clock to ocxo clock and i2s of the Terminator+ ... without which already had already betters the once-a-upon-a-time king of Accuphase T1000.

https://www.fmtunerinfo.com/ricochets.html#T-1000

For me and the improvement heard moving from the standard Terminator to the Terminator+ option to sync devices via its oxco clock, it was really an easy decision if looking for an upgrade. More details here in Terminator+'s thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/old...minator-plus-terminator-arrives.936310/page-7

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #717 of 1,025
Ok so I tried this, forcing 44.1, 24 bit in windows 10 didn't work and the test tones function in the advanced device properties also didn't play. BUT when I set it to 24 bit, 176400 Hz, the test tone plays. If I force this though, 44.1 hz 24 bit files don't work. This is all in AES input mode. Coax and I2S work fine with any files.
Yeah, it is strange. You have tried different devices (di20HE and Lumin u1 mini), it points to a Terminator. Can other users confirm the same behaviour?

Sep 3, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #719 of 1,025
Hi smodtactical,

For another sgd2.7k compared to the standard Terminator that you had already bought and presumably enjoyed, what are alternatives with ocxo clock and synced clock options with ddc for various digital sources and cdp that improves the sound quality by such a big margin ?

If you had tried like I did and more dac in your system to found improvement not significant and much more with alternative dac, then of course my question is redundant.

Meanwhile, I am tapping my feet and still overjoyed what I am hearing from my bel canto fm tuner via the gaia with synced clock to ocxo clock and i2s of the Terminator+ ... without which already had already betters the once-a-upon-a-time king of Accuphase T1000.

https://www.fmtunerinfo.com/ricochets.html#T-1000

For me and the improvement heard moving from the standard Terminator to the Terminator+ option to sync devices via its oxco clock, it was really an easy decision if looking for an upgrade. More details here in Terminator+'s thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/old...minator-plus-terminator-arrives.936310/page-7

Cheers.

Richard

For $6800 USD I'd consider used chord dave or get rockna wavedream balanced used. That kind of money is just too much for me to invest in a company that will release a new version every 2-3 years. If it costs $1000-2000 fine, but not at that price.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #720 of 1,025
Sold my Directstream and now awaiting delivery of my Terminator and Avatar. Looking forward to hooking up the Terminator and join the conversation.

When I was originally deciding i was deciding between psds and term. Guessing term is a good upgrade over psds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back