DENAFRIPS Terminator: the King of R2R dac
Jun 10, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #691 of 1,025
Jun 11, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #692 of 1,025
Oh ya Esotar hes actually one of the reasons why I decided on terminator. I wonder what he would have thought of terminator vs rockna vs bricasti.

You see the comments in the first review? Ppl **** on terminator big time, check this out:

"Jeffery on April 12, 2020 at 5:11 am

Jay the work and effort you put into your reviews are very much appreciated and Thank You for that .
I had the Denafrips Terminator for a number of months before most of the online chat exploded over the internet. I bought it out of pure curiosity early 2017 . initially I liked it very much however as time went on I ultimately became very disappointed with it especially with vocals and speaking voices of great recordings that much , much more expensive digital front ends offer. Though out of my price range wanting a digital front end that reproduced a sense of realism with vocals and speaking human voices is one of my top priorities and getting that in my price range of $5,000.00 for a dac I finally found it with a dac that sells for under $4,000.00 USD made by Rockna’s sister company AudioByte.
I found the AudioByte Hydra Vox dac to satisfy my tastes outperforming the Denafrips Terminator ."

Jun 11, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #693 of 1,025
Hoping before this summer will be joining him too..

Jun 11, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #694 of 1,025
Oh ya Esotar hes actually one of the reasons why I decided on terminator. I wonder what he would have thought of terminator vs rockna vs bricasti.

You see the comments in the first review? Ppl **** on terminator big time, check this out:

"Jeffery on April 12, 2020 at 5:11 am

Jay the work and effort you put into your reviews are very much appreciated and Thank You for that .
I had the Denafrips Terminator for a number of months before most of the online chat exploded over the internet. I bought it out of pure curiosity early 2017 . initially I liked it very much however as time went on I ultimately became very disappointed with it especially with vocals and speaking voices of great recordings that much , much more expensive digital front ends offer. Though out of my price range wanting a digital front end that reproduced a sense of realism with vocals and speaking human voices is one of my top priorities and getting that in my price range of $5,000.00 for a dac I finally found it with a dac that sells for under $4,000.00 USD made by Rockna’s sister company AudioByte.
I found the AudioByte Hydra Vox dac to satisfy my tastes outperforming the Denafrips Terminator ."

Hi Smod,

Glad Jeffrey found an upgrade and cheaper some more :)

Guess all system dependent and a bit disappointed with the 1st google hit to read from below to find out more and seems he had the Terminator for almost 3 yr until recent release of the Audiobyte stack ?

https://www.head-case.org/forums/topic/13589-audiobyte-hydra-vox-dac/

Nice build up scheme with even streamer but doubt the dac itself eats up higher end company's brother of rockna wavelight dac in the range of Terminator for most users ... however also not surprised with the latest and greatest including some nice dsp board upgrade.

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #695 of 1,025
Really? Any comparisons to those TOTL Dacs? That is very impressive wow!

There's this sales guy in YT that had a comparo of 13 DACs playing the same song (select from its description). Its YT, take it frame a grain of salt.

BAlabo BD-1 $37K, APL HiFi DSD M+ $36K, Audiobyte Hydra Vox/Dap $3.7K

Denafrips Terminator, Jeff Rowland Aeris/PSUP $17K and Denafrips ARES

Exogal Comet Plus $3.5K, Denafrips Pontus, Stello D700 $6K 7 years ago

Vermeer 2 $23K, MBL 1511 $6K 25 years ago, WADIA X32 Digimaster $2.5K 25 years ago

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #696 of 1,025
image.jpeg Have you ever had the inclusion of a new component in your system literally upset any of your certainty that, until then, had you laboriously realized? And I do not mean differences that are comparable to nuances, difficult to perceive situations, but rather to a very marked difference, in all reference parameters, to listening.
This is exactly what has happened since I entered the Dac Terminator, a flagship product of the Chinese manufacturer named DENAFRIPS, in my chain of listening. Everything started a few months ago when, during reading a thread on head-fi forum about a dac, I embarked on the enthusiastic comments of a russian user who magnified the dictates of a small dac with R2R Ladder technology named Ares, which is the product entry level of DENAFRIPS. The investment required for its purchase was pretty modest if compared to the figures that run in our hobby, just under $ 600 and bought directly from the only authorized worldwide distributor, Vinshine Audio Singapore, and I launched in it. Already after a few dozen hours of burn-in, strongly recommended by the manufacturer, the little Ares has begun to unlock absolute performance, unthinkable for an object of that price and comparable to dac more expensive.
And as the appetite is eating, I decided to challenge myself considering the purchase of the top range Terminator. In fact, I said to myself, "Claudio, if the little Ares already sounds better than that, what can be the performance of his big older brother?"
And so just over two months ago I ended the Terminator purchase, of course always online, which affectionately, I renamed Arnold, is so massive and heavy.
The Terminator is a dac R2R with four counters of 500 high-precision 0.005% laser-cut resistors, with a nominal resolution of 26bit, capable of reproducing both PCM format up to 384khz and DSD up to 11.2Mhz (DSD256) in native mode. Of course all the components are at the top, Cristek Femto Clock oscillators used with FIFO technology to ensure that the dac clock is independent of the input signal, Amanero usb input, power supplies with two toroidal transformers of 250VA and 60VA low noise , Elna Silmic capacitors, M Cap and Stargest at very low ESR, WALT Jung voltage regulators with very low ripple and many other high quality components. The digital inputs are 9 so distributed: 1 usb, 3 i2s (1 on hdmi and 2 on rj45), 2 AES / EBU, 1 toslink optic, 2 spdif (rca and bnc). I think a few dacs for sale, if not anyone, can have such an entry input that can satisfy any kind of connection. The outputs are the classic XLR and RCA, the dac is native balanced.
On the thick brushed aluminum front, like the entire frame, we find the Standby button in the center and then left to right the two input selection keys, the Mute button, the OS / NOS, the Phase key, and finally the Mode key that serves to select the two Slow and Sharp digital filters as well as to activate some special features, including the firmware update. No control of the volume or even the remote control, DENAFRIPS wanted to remove all the accessories that could have affected the sonic result in any way. All components are mounted on FPGA cards, wiring is absent. The Terminator at the balance test pays a weight of just 19 kg, demonstrating that you did not want to save on anything.
The Terminator was inserted into my system liquid consisting of two-pcs fiber-optic connected server-naa player, preamp Spectral DMC20 balanced series 2, amps Gamut D200i and M250i endorsing, in my mood, an Infinity IRS Beta in active biamplification or a pair of Magneplanar 3.6R in passive biamplification. The connection to the preamp was made using the XLR connections. To avoid misunderstanding I want to specify that I'm an Italian audiophile with more than 30 years of listening experience.
The Terminator, in contrast to the Ares, does not need a long run, since it has been factory-burnt-in for about 100 consecutive hours, and in fact has unveiled superb performance right away, I would say to the limit of excellence. The earliest feature of the ear is its ability to extract from the files that are given to him such a quantity of unthinkable informations(compared to my Mark Levinson 360S as reference), combined with a quantity of harmonics that seem to be stationary for air, so much is their decay time. As some reference discs (Marialy Pacheco - Introducing), the detail and refinement in listening to the music message reaches very high, never heard before, as well as dynamics. The attacks are of a crazy speed and the crescendo in some tracks of symphonic music (Giocchino Rossini - The thieving magpie, Alexander Borodin - Symphony No. 2 Prince Igor) seems to never end. Even at low volumes, the return of the information being transferred is excellent, with a truly remarkable intellegibility, not even a note is lost. Going to the soundstage, I have to overcome the superlatives, deep in all three dimensions, well beyond the physical limits of the bottom wall and with a 180 degree horizontal aperture, virtually wall-to-wall. It almost seems to be in the midst of the music event with a holography that only machines of quite a few costs can reproduce. Using the filters you can shape the sound according to your own tastes, I prefer using the SHARP filter also because I'm a fan of transparency and detail but it never has to end in listening fatigue; with the LOW filter you have a lightweight roll-off on the medium high that, with some systems, can be of utmost benefit. Returning to the main features of the Terminator, the bass is very fast and deep, dry enough, with no hint of rubberiness, medium frequencies, especially with female voices (Cecile McLorin Salvant - Woman Child, Roberta Gambarini - Easy to love, Maria Callas - Rossini and Donizzetti Arias) are of a shocking beauty, rich, fleshy and at the same time succinct, the medium record reaches incredible definition levels without ever going into hyperanalyticism; In one word the Terminator can be termed a musical object, one of those few hifi components that makes you forget to listen to the system, which you would listen for hours and hours focusing only on music and forgetting everything else. And of these times is not very little.
And finally we come to the "bad notes", how much does all this well of God cost? I'm telling you that Terminator has a price comparable to a good-quality hi-end cable, only $ 3980, at the current exchange rate of just over 3500 euros, with a three-year full warranty and after-sale service, tested personally and also by several friends of mine who have bought DENAFRIPS dacs in recent times, simply unthinkable for our European standards.
One last tip, if you want to find dac comparable to the Terminator, go look at the catalogs of the most prestigious manufacturers and pay your attention to 10K euros (11K dollars or more)up there, as well as possible disappointments, as happened to some of my italian friend, dacs owners of the cost of a utility car (for example DCS Debussy) , who wanted to compare its dac with Terminator.
You might try listening to DACs from Mojo Audio who have developed the Mystique to very good levels and which will compete very well against the Terminator, but don't take my word for it, take a listen. the Mystique is unbelievable, especially the V3.....

Jun 13, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #697 of 1,025
You might try listening to DACs from Mojo Audio who have developed the Mystique to very good levels and which will compete very well against the Terminator, but don't take my word for it, take a listen. the Mystique is unbelievable, especially the V3.....

Always so nice when usd4000 Terminator gets compared to higher priced ones .. lol !

Rockna wavedream at euro15,000 is another more satisfying one as I own the Terminator especially since this a Denafrips Terminator thread.

Perhaps someone can edit of subject title if possible to remove "King of" when started since 4 yrs ago may go easier for some or perhaps "King of Value for Money R2R DAC" still acceptable here.

Enjoy !

Screenshot_20200614-081751_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #698 of 1,025
Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #699 of 1,025
Terminator's NEW big brother! No, its not the T2000...meet Terminator-Plus!

Price = Eur 6,400 (VAT) $6,235 (Non VAT)

https://www.denafrips.com/terminator-plus

DIGITAL / ANALOGUE ISOLATION
The TERMINATOR-PLUS Digital Processing Board and R-2R ladder network arrays are completely isolated. The two boards are physically linked by the OCXO module. The physical isolation yields even lowered noise-floor and achieved higher signal to noise ratio.

OVEN-CONTROLLED CRYSTALS – OCXO
“The BEST clocks are the clocks inside the DAC”.

The TERMINATOR-PLUS is equipped with dual OCXO operating at audio frequencies 45.1548Mhz, 49.152Mhz. Encapsulated in a metal casing, located at the center of the DAC, these OCXO are specially designed for high-end audio applications with ultra-low phase-noise and ultra-accuracy. The dual OCXO are powered by the complete redesigned power supply circuitry (encapsulated, shielded, underneath the main boards), supplying constant current to the OCXO. The adequate power reserves ensure linearity and stability of the OCXO.

ADAPTIVE FIFO BUFFER RECLOCKING
The DENAFRIPS approach to address the jitters issue by the FIFO BUFFER RECLOCKING. The adaptive FIFO buffer store the digital audio data in the memory. These data are read from the memory using the ultra-low phase noise, ultra-accuracy OCXO, located right in the DAC.

The data bits are converted to analogue signal by the true balanced R-2R ladder network arrays. The linearity of the conversion is guaranteed by the high-precision thin film resistors, with low thermal effect temperature coefficient of the low 10/15ppm.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #700 of 1,025
Jul 1, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #703 of 1,025
So the regular Terminator with OCXO upgraded clocks then?
It is more. Galvanic isolation of a ladder from DSP section is a bigger deal. Now they don't really need so many caps. :sunglasses:

Still no information how the output stage is designed.

Jul 1, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #704 of 1,025
For those that are wondering, it sounds fantastic and way better than the old Terminator v2 DSP.

Hi Jackula,

Same experience here and while is usd2k more, the improvement is much more than any upgrade in power cords, interconnects, speaker cables, power regenerator etc. can do for my system.

I had the luxury of having the demo unit for 1 week but it only took the usual warm up of about an hour to know that I wanted it.

In comparison, the standard Terminator sounds veiled which I would have never thought is an adjective to describe it.

Midbass and bass are tighter which makes all genres more tuneful or I dare say more obvious PRAT that makes my system more musical and I feel more of the reported 23hz of my Salon 2 speakers.

Highs and midranges together with midbass and bass notes are easier to be differentiated and simply "pops" ... not sure if due to yet another 3db improvement in the SNR ratio at now 137db or its another another 2db improvement in its dynamic range.

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #705 of 1,025
So the regular Terminator with OCXO upgraded clocks then?

Hi 007,

Yes and no ...

Yes .... in that it is the obvious one of now oxco clock but I believe more importantly, in further reported measurable improvements in its SNR and Dynamic Range which I believe also due to the type of ocxo clock used in how they implemented it.

Their gaia ddc is also released with ocxo clock but a quick look at the photos of both internals in comparison is obviously different.

No ... in that the Terminator Plus is now fitted with clock output from its dual ocxo clocks that matches perfectly their Avatar Transport to sync cd playback in the likes of Esoteric, dCS etc.

I had to sell of my rather new Jay cdt2 transport which I kept primarily only for completeness of my system with cd playback option. The Jay cdt2 was also only with i2s hmdi output that forces me to swap cables since the single i2s hdmi input in both standard and plus versions is shared with the i2s output of my NuPrime Omnia S1 media server.

I now plays cd just to further hear yet again further improvements in my above reply to bro Jackula in comparison to more convenient defacto i2s from my Nuprime Omnia S1 media player via local 1TB usb stick as I avoid my synology NAS with 2x10TB Hitachi enterprise HDDs.

I now look forward to the comparison of this cd playback from the Avatar Tranport with yet to be set up newly received Antipodes EX with also local playback from 2X 4TB Samsung EVO SSDs in hope to get back to more convenient music playback.

Cheers.

Richard
Screenshot_20200702-002522_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back