DENAFRIPS Terminator: the King of R2R dac
Jan 25, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #618 of 1,025
Terminators treble isn't glassy at all, I find it quite balanced and less bright than say, the MSB Reference DAC.
Thank God, you did not mention about msb select stack. All Denafrips dacs seem to have that extra treble sheen even in youtube videos, is it due to r2r chip distortion ? Any measurements ?

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #619 of 1,025
Thank God, you did not mention about msb select stack. All Denafrips dacs seem to have that extra treble sheen even in youtube videos, is it due to r2r chip distortion ? Any measurements ?
Are the YouTube videos your only source or you have a hands-on experience with a Denafrips dac?

Jan 25, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #620 of 1,025
Jan 25, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #621 of 1,025
Heard there is going to be a plus version relesed soon of the Termy with OCXO clock modules and WCLK input. Not sure though? Only Alvin can confirm this.

Interesting.. how reliable was the source?

Jan 25, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #623 of 1,025
Heard there is going to be a plus version relesed soon of the Termy with OCXO clock modules and WCLK input. Not sure though? Only Alvin can confirm this.

WCLK input ! This is very interesting : my Aurender w20 also has WCLK input !

Jan 25, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #625 of 1,025

I've never listened to the MSB Select stack and neither any Denafrips DACs except the Terminator.

I did actually do a measurement a few weeks ago on a pair of Wilson Watt Puppies with a umik-1, although I didn't keep it. As you know the Wilson is quite a bright speaker and the response with the Terminator was very neutral flat in the treble. More than anything else, I'd say the Terminator has a rounded and more forgiving treble, it's one of the reasons I prefer it to the MSB Reference when played side-by-side.

Jan 26, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #627 of 1,025
Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #628 of 1,025
Hi,

I bought the ifi idefender 3.0 to cut 5v and retain the use my newly added used zonotone shupreme 1.2m usb cable amd not the dual head ifi Gemini usb cable into my Denadrips Terminator dac which make an obvious improvement … crispy and clear highs, more textured mids and bass with more extension/depth.

While the Terminator needs 5v for its usb input, I am using the Ideon 3R regenerator which is powered by a 12v LPS and connected directly via a usd1 type A and B male adaptor to the Termimator since trials with various AQ carbon, furutech gt2 pro etc. usb cables instead saw drop in SQ … the Ideon 3R provides its own clean 5v for the Terminator to work.

End of day, pleasantly surprised that the Terminator can be further improved in SQ to me via this usd49 ifi idefender to cut 5v and hope works for anyone else who tries this ...

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #629 of 1,025
Hi,

Just installed a better sounding allo's usb bridge than previous himedia Q10 pro and played around with the NOS vs OS impact in my system ..yymv:

NOS .. more emo, texturing and organic

OS ... cleaner, airy, sparkles, faster sounding and wider soundstage

Slight loss of mentioned of NOS is more than compensated by those mentioned for OS ... OS for me.

Default filter and did not try others

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back