DENAFRIPS Terminator: the King of R2R dac
Aug 17, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #485 of 1,025
49673D2F-F599-40C0-A464-FECBB4F0D58C.jpeg After some confusion, got this working, full 1 million taps. Impressions soon, but my initial reaction - so so smooth.

Aug 19, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #486 of 1,025
Wrong, using battery supply for Pinkfaun and having Pinkfaun is only helping the card itself.

Your PC has something called Motherboard, and it is called this way because everything has to pass through it in order to communicate from one to another, including Pinkfaun to PCIE to CPU to RAM and into SSD.

If your motherboard is noisy, there is only so much your PC can do even if you use Pinkfaun and feed it a good power supply. The Pinkfaun simply be limited in most of what it can do.

As long as the computer is not in the analog path (i.e. it's only doing digital processing), the "noise" that you are referring to will have no effect. Digital processors and RAM are designed to deal with an enormous amount of noise with no impact on the result.

For example, a large-scale study by Google had a high-end estimate (i.e. their worst case estimate) of "5 bit errors per 8 gigabytes of RAM per hour".

The reason that you want better power supplies and higher end power handling on the motherboard is that all of the components will last longer, and that is an important consideration, since some of those components may be holding on to data that you don't want to lose.

On the analog side, you definitely want to avoid noise. While digital processing ignores massive amounts of noise (any noise below "critical charge level"), analog circuits carry any noise as if it were part of the signal itself.

Aug 21, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #487 of 1,025
The mscaler with the Terminator was phenomenal (thanks @llamaluv and thanks to @Saleh84 for discovering its compatibility). To my knowledge this is the only dac other than Chord's which can accept the full, 1 million tap potential of the mscaler. And boy does it deliver. Classical and jazz were transformed into that round, analogish, smooth sound I remember from my time with the Dave and Blu mk ii. The effect of this was that I could listen on and on to string quartets, which can become fatiguing before I'd otherwise prefer to hang up my headphones.

My experience listening to pop music was a bit different. I'd estimate that I preferred the mscaler with the Terminator in about half of the pop recordings I listened to - and particularly preferred it with those recordings that are well mastered and are closer to being hi-fi. With others, however, I thought that the smoothness actually detracted from the experience - it was odd, I couldn't get into the music as much.

For me, the mscaler has become an essential item. I'll be purchasing one soon.

A note - you have to press mute then Input+ to turn on dual AES inputs in the Terminator - you might have to press Input+ twice, and you'll know it's right when the two AES lights glow red. If you don't have this right, the mscaler will sound terrible when set to 7XX upscaling.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #488 of 1,025
The mscaler with the Terminator was phenomenal (thanks @llamaluv and thanks to @Saleh84 for discovering its compatibility). To my knowledge this is the only dac other than Chord's which can accept the full, 1 million tap potential of the mscaler. And boy does it deliver. Classical and jazz were transformed into that round, analogish, smooth sound I remember from my time with the Dave and Blu mk ii. The effect of this was that I could listen on and on to string quartets, which can become fatiguing before I'd otherwise prefer to hang up my headphones.

My experience listening to pop music was a bit different. I'd estimate that I preferred the mscaler with the Terminator in about half of the pop recordings I listened to - and particularly preferred it with those recordings that are well mastered and are closer to being hi-fi. With others, however, I thought that the smoothness actually detracted from the experience - it was odd, I couldn't get into the music as much.

A note - you have to press mute then Input+ to turn on dual AES inputs in the Terminator - you might have to press Input+ twice, and you'll know it's right when the two AES lights glow red. If you don't have this right, the mscaler will sound terrible when set to 7XX upscaling.
Where did you get the BBC to AES cables to connect the mscaler to the Terminator?

Aug 25, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #489 of 1,025

I have a Terminator Myself. And this Mscaler is an interesting new route to investigate.

Can you show the cable that you use between the mscaller and the Terminator ? will it work ONLY with 2 AES cable ? NOT possible with USB or Coax ?

Aug 25, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #491 of 1,025
thanks

and you still consider the sound quality improvement is really significant V/S simple USB connection ?

Aug 28, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #493 of 1,025
Has anyone tried upsampling to 512 DSD or beyond with the new update?
Anyone with a beefy CPU in their PC & use HQplayer, tried it?

I think you can match or better the M-Scaler with the HQplayer & using your PC to upsample.

Aug 28, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #494 of 1,025
Has anyone tried upsampling to 512 DSD or beyond with the new update?
Anyone with a beefy CPU in their PC & use HQplayer, tried it?
I have been running this configuration since receiving the updated Terminator, and the new EC modulators at DSD256 is even better than DSD512 with other modulators. Updated Terminator is more than capable to show all these differences.

Aug 28, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #495 of 1,025
I have been running this configuration since receiving the updated Terminator, and the new EC modulators at DSD256 is even better than DSD512 with other modulators. Updated Terminator is more than capable to show all these differences.

Do you recommend any specific configurations in HQplayer for DSD256 with those new EC modulators?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back