Denafrips Sub-Brand or Rip-off? The case of Musician Audio's Pegasus R2R DAC
Nov 9, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #136 of 316
The YouTube reviewer that gave the Pegasus the bad "review" gave two other DACs "DAC of the year" awards... both were Denafrips. lol not fishy at all.
please elaborate with some relevant fact instead of cheap innuendo

When a bully knows he doesnt have any viable argument he starts attacking with character defamation... Denafrips is the older design and has a series of quality tiers, and is the cheaper manufacturer. Musician is clearly a derivative solitary latecomer with massive claims and puts pressure on every 'reviewer' to NOT compare to Denafrips and follow the Musician press release. Very simple check by comparing every review starting paragraph. Almost identical so obviously not independent.

So who is the original? Answer that with some reasonable argument.

Nov 9, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #137 of 316

When a bully knows he doesnt have any viable argument he starts attacking with character defamation... Denafrips is the older design and has a series of quality tiers, and is the cheaper manufacturer. Musician is clearly a derivative solitary latecomer with massive claims and puts pressure on every 'reviewer' to NOT compare to Denafrips and follow the Musician press release. Very simple check by comparing every review starting paragraph. Almost identical so obviously not independent.

Well said

Nov 17, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #138 of 316

The NBT studio guy gave two consecutive product of the year awards to Denafrips products. He craps all over the Denafrips's sole competitor at this time, the Musician Pegasus. Does it not look a bit obvious? Is he in bed with Denafrips? Maybe, maybe not. However, It is a legitimate suspicion one could have about this reviewer. You are the one here lashing out at everybody who may think that way dude. Get off this forum, go back to your holy nbt studio and keep it quiet dude.

Nov 17, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #139 of 316
Get off this forum, go back to your holy nbt studio and keep it quiet dude.
Yeah, lets us, Pegasus users, continue replacing fuses with "audiophile quality" parts.
.LOL.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #142 of 316
Yes, for denafrips users, pegasus is a thorn in the side of the eye

It looks to me like Denafrips dudes insist on paying the dealer's cut. Pegasus dudes pay manufacturer direct. There's gotta be a lotta butthurt Denafrips bros out here after they realize the dealer's cut can cost a lot! Economics! It's a tad rough, i know LOL

Nov 17, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #143 of 316
It looks to me like Denafrips dudes insist on paying the dealer's cut. Pegasus dudes pay manufacturer direct. There's gotta be a lotta butthurt Denafrips bros out here after they realize the dealer's cut can cost a lot! Economics! It's a tad rough, i know LOL
I am generally not interested in this conflict, I enjoy the sound of my pegasus and I like to upgrade that sound, so even if I am under the illusion that after some upgrade I hear an improvement, it is again an improvement in my satisfaction.

Nov 17, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #145 of 316
It looks to me like Denafrips dudes insist on paying the dealer's cut. Pegasus dudes pay manufacturer direct.
There is established practice for recommended retail price on the product, it is set by the manufacturer. Dealer prices are undisclosed and dealers like to earn bigger markups for the same amount of work. Simply like that, no traditional kickbacks. Those who believe in special audiophile fuses will buy Musicians products too.

As I wrote before Pegasus is shipped with incorrect fuse, it is clearly shown on the photo. Go to the local hardware store and get a slow blown non-inductive type of the same amps rating (straight wire visible through the glass tube, not a spiral) and it is done. But Pegasus owners rush and buy expensive audiophile type for $xx, then claim it sound better than those shipped with Pegasus. Sure, I don't question that.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #146 of 316
There is established practice for recommended retail price on the product, it is set by the manufacturer. Dealer prices are undisclosed and dealers like to earn bigger markups for the same amount of work. Simply like that, no traditional kickbacks. Those who believe in special audiophile fuses will buy Musicians products too.

As I wrote before Pegasus is shipped with incorrect fuse, it is clearly shown on the photo. Go to the local hardware store and get a slow blown non-inductive type of the same amps rating (straight wire visible through the glass tube, not a spiral) and it is done. But Pegasus owners rush and buy expensive audiophile type for $xx, then claim it sound better than those shipped with Pegasus. Sure, I don't question that.
Unlike you, I have no interest in presenting facts against other DACs that I have not heard or products that I have not heard. While I was researching power cables, the forums are full of people making fun of those cables ,without ever replacing their base with a more expensive one.
Out of curiosity, I bought a power cable and discovered that it brings such a change in sound that it is impossible to neglect it in building a good system.
Someone said that the fuse brings a change in sound ... ok, I decided to buy such a fuse, which costs 45 e, after a short investigation on the Internet.
There are those who prefer to be in the dark, and at the same time convince others that it is the smartest, and there are those of us who like to explore.
In the end, this is a hobby out of love and not out of hatred

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #147 of 316
Unlike you, I have no interest in presenting facts against other DACs that I have not heard or products that I have not heard.
Do you mean my assessment that Pegasus is shipped with a wrong fuse? Or a comment on the possible higher dealer markups?
While I was researching power cables, the forums are full of people making fun of those cables ,without ever replacing their base with a more expensive one.
Out of curiosity, I bought a power cable and discovered that it brings such a change in sound that it is impossible to neglect it in building a good system.
I didn't make a statement on power cables. It should be directed to some other person, perhaps.
Someone said that the fuse brings a change in sound ... ok, I decided to buy such a fuse, which costs 45 e, after a short investigation on the Internet.
Fine, so you did spend €45 and found it sounding better and now I am saying that purchasing an ordinary fuse in hardware store for few cents will bring the same result. Why your reaction is different?
There are those who prefer to be in the dark, and at the same time convince others that it is the smartest, and there are those of us who like to explore.
Unfair comment, as it shows that you are the person who prefer to be in the dark.

Nov 18, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #149 of 316
Do you mean my assessment that Pegasus is shipped with a wrong fuse? Or a comment on the possible higher dealer markups?

I didn't make a statement on power cables. It should be directed to some other person, perhaps.

Fine, so you did spend €45 and found it sounding better and now I am saying that purchasing an ordinary fuse in hardware store for few cents will bring the same result. Why your reaction is different?

Unfair comment, as it shows that you are the person who prefer to be in the dark.
I ordered that fuse, I haven't received it yet and therefore I haven't heard so I can't state any facts about the changes in sound that they bring or don't bring. We differ in that. That's why I will never say that - denafrips ares ll - it's funny to compare with pegasus, because I never listened to him.
You could replace the fuse (it doesn't cost much) to check if your claims were correct.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #150 of 316
Don’t forget many of us can actually afford to buy audiophile fuses. With the horrid “dissimilar” metals. Audiophile fuses that sound excellent in our other components. Components that never had the horrid “inductive” fuses.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back