Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Dec 21, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #1,381 of 1,840
Thank you very much to @George Hincapie for lending me his Pontus II 12th Anniversary Edition to do a bit of testing.
I'll post a full set of measurements on my site soon, but just wanted to quickly share some results regarding whether or not the Denafrips DACs are indeed now 'True NOS' or not.
And just to be 100% clear: I like the Denafrips DACs, none of this is about me saying they sound bad or you shouldn't buy them. They have some fantastic and compelling products, but you can like a product whilst also taking issue with misleading marketing.
Regardless of how good a product otherwise is, or how inconsequential a a particular lie might be, manufacturers should not lie to or mislead their customers. Don't make false claims!

TLDR: The Denafrips 12th anniversary DACs are still not actually NOS (non-oversampling). They are now just using zero-order-hold oversampling instead of linear interpolation oversampling to make it LOOK like NOS.

Long version:
A bit of background:
Denafrips has always had a 'NOS' function on their DACs. However I mad a video review a while ago of the Ares 2 and whilst subjectively I really enjoyed the it (and later the Terminator Plus as well), I found when testing that the DACs were in fact not 'NOS' but using a method called linear interpolation. This has some downsides to NOS such as rolling off treble more than NOS does, but more to the point, the issue was simply that the marketing was not truthful.

Denafrips later responded and claimed that I was wrong, and their DACs WERE indeed NOS, however provided no evidence or explanation.
And despite this, they later released their '12th Anniversary' editions of various products, with one of the big marketing points being that they were now 'True NOS!'

1671638966874.png

Given the fact that the Denafrips DACs seem to be quite heavily reliant on DSP in general, I was a bit doubtful that this was true, but now I can check.

Firstly, NOS means 'non-oversampling'. The DAC does not add extra samples/digitally interpolate like most DACs do. And so if we do an impulse response test, which is silence, followed by one full scale sample, and then silence again, this is what we get, shown by the blue line:

11504352.png

Sample 1: Sample has a value of 0. DAC continues to hold at 0 output
Sample 2: Sample has a higher value. DAC output moves up to meet this value then holds there until the next sample.
Sample 3: Sample has a value of 0. DAC output moves down to 0 again, and holds.
Sample 4: Sample has a value of 0. DAC output continues to stay at 0.

However notice the triangle waveform overlaid. This is how the Denafrips DACs were ACTUALLY behaving in 'NOS' mode.

Sample 1: Sample has a value of 0, but instead of holding at that sample value, the DAC linearly interpolated (draws a straight line) to the next sample, and moves along that path.
Sample 2: Immediately upon reaching sample 2, the DAC then linearly interpolates directly toward sample 3.
Sample 3: DAC then linearly interpolates toward sample 4, which given as it has a value of 0, means it stays at 0 output.

We can see the behaviour of NOS from a real NOS DAC such as the Phasure NOS1A for example:

11504353.png

However the Denafrips DACs instead looked like this:

11504349.png

In fact if we measured with a higher bandwidth we could even see these steps from the extra interpolated samples:

R6EOy4Ktok.png

But now, this is the impulse response of the new Pontus II 12th anniversary edition:

xbHr97Bd3w.png

That looks a lot more like NOS!......but is it actually NOS? Well, let's do a little more digging.
The first thing that struck me as odd was that there is no ringing.

"No Ringing? But it's NOS! There shouldn't be any ringing!" you might say.
Well, yes, there shouldn't be any ringing from the DAC. But we should still see some ringing on the measurement itself because if a signal exceeds the bandwidth of the analyzer itself, you'll get ringing.

A 'perfect' square wave (or NOS impulse) would require infinite bandwidth to describe. And so when you try to capture it with a limited bandwidth ADC, you'll get ringing.
If the square wave has extremely fast slew and therefore exceeds the analyzer bandwidth by a large amount, such as from the Rockna Wavedream Signature Balanced DAC for example, you'll see quite a lot of ringing:

QWo5GKp25e.png

Whereas if you measured the above signal using a much higher bandwidth oscilloscope, you don't see any ringing. Because it was induced by the filter/bandwidth limitation of the analyzer not the DAC itself.

If the signal only exceeds the analyzer bandwidth by a little, you'll see a fair bit less, such as with the Schiit Bifrost 2/64 in NOS:
EC620OiCYl.png

If we look on an FFT at a 1khz Sine in NOS from the bifrost 2 this is what we get:
nJRJYCfuGE.png

There's the main 1khz tone, and then all the stuff to the right are the aliased content and components that make up the 44.1khz square wave caused by running a DAC in NOS @ 44.1khz.
However if we look at the same FFT but from the Pontus II 12th in NOS, here's what we see:

rYJSMNZp1Q.png

Can you spot the difference?
There's a large dip heading right down to...you guessed it...705.6khz. Exactly 16x the input sample rate.
And if we change the input sample rate to 48khz, then that dip moves over to 768khz, which is 16 x 48khz.
This is because the DAC is not actually operating in NOS. It is oversampling at seemingly 32x, for a bandwidth of 768khz or 705.6khz.
The content you see on the FFT above 768/705.6khz is a result of imaging/aliasing due to the oversampling filter being used not filtering out content above the nyquist frequency.

Additionally even when the DAC is idle we can still actually see a bit of residual signal at 768khz:

1671641478956.png

So no, it is NOT NOS. It is still oversampling, it's just applying an oversampling filter to make the output look like NOS.
Other DACs such as the RME ADI-2 also have options to do this (though they're very clear in the manual about the fact that whilst they label it as 'NOS' in the UI it is not actually NOS and is only labelled that way because it sort of emulates actual NOS).

Is this better than linear interpolation on the previous Denafrips DACs? Yes definitely

Is it audibly different to genuine NOS? Up for debate

Does it matter? Depends on what matters to you. I doubt there's going to be any big audible difference, but the point is that Denafrips' marketing is not truthful, and after being called out for lying about something, instead of either genuinely addressing the problem or just apologising, they've tried to hide the fact that their DACs aren't NOS more convincingly, and also have upped their marketing about 'true NOS'.

If you just care about the resulting sound, go listen to a denafrips DAC and decide if it's right for you. None of this will tell you if you will/will not like it.
But there will be a number of people who specifically want a genuine NOS DAC so that they can listen to their music with no digital processing at all, and the Denafrips DACs whilst claiming to offer this, cannot actually do so. That is misleading, and there's no reason Denafrips should be making this claim.

The fact that they've not only lied about this once but then tried to hide it and then doubled down on it also only throws doubt on what other claims about their products might not be true at all....

Don't lie to your customers.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #1,382 of 1,840
Thank you very much to @George Hincapie for lending me his Pontus II 12th Anniversary Edition to do a bit of testing.
I'll post a full set of measurements on my site soon, but just wanted to quickly share some results regarding whether or not the Denafrips DACs are indeed now 'True NOS' or not.
And just to be 100% clear: I like the Denafrips DACs, none of this is about me saying they sound bad or you shouldn't buy them. They have some fantastic and compelling products, but you can like a product whilst also taking issue with misleading marketing.
Regardless of how good a product otherwise is, or how inconsequential a a particular lie might be, manufacturers should not lie to or mislead their customers. Don't make false claims!

TLDR: The Denafrips 12th anniversary DACs are still not actually NOS (non-oversampling). They are now just using zero-order-hold oversampling instead of linear interpolation oversampling to make it LOOK like NOS.

Long version:
A bit of background:
Denafrips has always had a 'NOS' function on their DACs. However I mad a video review a while ago of the Ares 2 and whilst subjectively I really enjoyed the it (and later the Terminator Plus as well), I found when testing that the DACs were in fact not 'NOS' but using a method called linear interpolation. This has some downsides to NOS such as rolling off treble more than NOS does, but more to the point, the issue was simply that the marketing was not truthful.

Denafrips later responded and claimed that I was wrong, and their DACs WERE indeed NOS, however provided no evidence or explanation.
And despite this, they later released their '12th Anniversary' editions of various products, with one of the big marketing points being that they were now 'True NOS!'

1671638966874.png

Given the fact that the Denafrips DACs seem to be quite heavily reliant on DSP in general, I was a bit doubtful that this was true, but now I can check.

Firstly, NOS means 'non-oversampling'. The DAC does not add extra samples/digitally interpolate like most DACs do. And so if we do an impulse response test, which is silence, followed by one full scale sample, and then silence again, this is what we get, shown by the blue line:

11504352.png

Sample 1: Sample has a value of 0. DAC continues to hold at 0 output
Sample 2: Sample has a higher value. DAC output moves up to meet this value then holds there until the next sample.
Sample 3: Sample has a value of 0. DAC output moves down to 0 again, and holds.
Sample 4: Sample has a value of 0. DAC output continues to stay at 0.

However notice the triangle waveform overlaid. This is how the Denafrips DACs were ACTUALLY behaving in 'NOS' mode.

Sample 1: Sample has a value of 0, but instead of holding at that sample value, the DAC linearly interpolated (draws a straight line) to the next sample, and moves along that path.
Sample 2: Immediately upon reaching sample 2, the DAC then linearly interpolates directly toward sample 3.
Sample 3: DAC then linearly interpolates toward sample 4, which given as it has a value of 0, means it stays at 0 output.

We can see the behaviour of NOS from a real NOS DAC such as the Phasure NOS1A for example:

11504353.png

However the Denafrips DACs instead looked like this:

11504349.png

In fact if we measured with a higher bandwidth we could even see these steps from the extra interpolated samples:

R6EOy4Ktok.png

But now, this is the impulse response of the new Pontus II 12th anniversary edition:

xbHr97Bd3w.png

That looks a lot more like NOS!......but is it actually NOS? Well, let's do a little more digging.
The first thing that struck me as odd was that there is no ringing.

"No Ringing? But it's NOS! There shouldn't be any ringing!" you might say.
Well, yes, there shouldn't be any ringing from the DAC. But we should still see some ringing on the measurement itself because if a signal exceeds the bandwidth of the analyzer itself, you'll get ringing.

A 'perfect' square wave (or NOS impulse) would require infinite bandwidth to describe. And so when you try to capture it with a limited bandwidth ADC, you'll get ringing.
If the square wave has extremely fast slew and therefore exceeds the analyzer bandwidth by a large amount, such as from the Rockna Wavedream Signature Balanced DAC for example, you'll see quite a lot of ringing:

QWo5GKp25e.png

Whereas if you measured the above signal using a much higher bandwidth oscilloscope, you don't see any ringing. Because it was induced by the filter/bandwidth limitation of the analyzer not the DAC itself.

If the signal only exceeds the analyzer bandwidth by a little, you'll see a fair bit less, such as with the Schiit Bifrost 2/64 in NOS:
EC620OiCYl.png

If we look on an FFT at a 1khz Sine in NOS from the bifrost 2 this is what we get:
nJRJYCfuGE.png

There's the main 1khz tone, and then all the stuff to the right are the aliased content and components that make up the 44.1khz square wave caused by running a DAC in NOS @ 44.1khz.
However if we look at the same FFT but from the Pontus II 12th in NOS, here's what we see:

rYJSMNZp1Q.png

Can you spot the difference?
There's a large dip heading right down to...you guessed it...705.6khz. Exactly 16x the input sample rate.
And if we change the input sample rate to 48khz, then that dip moves over to 768khz, which is 16 x 48khz.
This is because the DAC is not actually operating in NOS. It is oversampling at seemingly 32x, for a bandwidth of 768khz or 705.6khz.
The content you see on the FFT above 768/705.6khz is a result of imaging/aliasing due to the oversampling filter being used not filtering out content above the nyquist frequency.

Additionally even when the DAC is idle we can still actually see a bit of residual signal at 768khz:

1671641478956.png

So no, it is NOT NOS. It is still oversampling, it's just applying an oversampling filter to make the output look like NOS.
Other DACs such as the RME ADI-2 also have options to do this (though they're very clear in the manual about the fact that whilst they label it as 'NOS' in the UI it is not actually NOS and is only labelled that way because it sort of emulates actual NOS).

Is this better than linear interpolation on the previous Denafrips DACs? Yes definitely

Is it audibly different to genuine NOS? Up for debate

Does it matter? Depends on what matters to you. I doubt there's going to be any big audible difference, but the point is that Denafrips' marketing is not truthful, and after being called out for lying about something, instead of either genuinely addressing the problem or just apologising, they've tried to hide the fact that their DACs aren't NOS more convincingly, and also have upped their marketing about 'true NOS'.

If you just care about the resulting sound, go listen to a denafrips DAC and decide if it's right for you. None of this will tell you if you will/will not like it.
But there will be a number of people who specifically want a genuine NOS DAC so that they can listen to their music with no digital processing at all, and the Denafrips DACs whilst claiming to offer this, cannot actually do so. That is misleading, and there's no reason Denafrips should be making this claim.

The fact that they've not only lied about this once but then tried to hide it and then doubled down on it also only throws doubt on what other claims about their products might not be true at all....

Don't lie to your customers.

Thank you for the passion and interest you put on this

Dec 21, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #1,383 of 1,840
Please refer to my response to the allegation for Pontus 12th not being NOS in the Ares 12th thread. I don't want to trash with duplicated posts.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #1,384 of 1,840
Finally picked up a mint 6-month-old Silver Pontus II for (US)$1300 to pair with my Burson Soloist 3X GT and Streamer.
It didn't seem worthwhile to pay the extra dosh for a new 12th Anniversary
Happy Camper Here

Jan 7, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #1,386 of 1,840
I've posted full measurements of the Pontus 2 12th Anniversary here: https://goldensound.audio/2023/01/08/denafrips-pontus-2-12th-anniversary-edition-measurements/

Thank you very much to @George Hincapie for lending me his unit.

Probably the most important thing to note that might be helpful to people, is that if you're experiencing any crackling/popping at any point through your DAC, it's likely due to the way the DAC handles intersample overs.
See the post for a full explanation, but the TLDR is that if you hear popping/crackling, turn down volume in your player by -3dB and it will resolve the issue.

Hopefully it's something Denafrips can resolve in a software update.

Jan 7, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #1,387 of 1,840
I've posted full measurements of the Pontus 2 12th Anniversary here: https://goldensound.audio/2023/01/08/denafrips-pontus-2-12th-anniversary-edition-measurements/

Thank you very much to @George Hincapie for lending me his unit.

Probably the most important thing to note that might be helpful to people, is that if you're experiencing any crackling/popping at any point through your DAC, it's likely due to the way the DAC handles intersample overs.
See the post for a full explanation, but the TLDR is that if you hear popping/crackling, turn down volume in your player by -3dB and it will resolve the issue.

Hopefully it's something Denafrips can resolve in a software update.

It was my pleasure! Thanks for the review.

Jan 8, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #1,388 of 1,840
Comments on Pontus measurements: https://goldensound.audio/2023/01/08/denafrips-pontus-2-12th-anniversary-edition-measurements/

1. Preparations for measurements excellent as usual. If you follow inconsistent measurements on ASR, you find that this one is on the higher level.

2. Conclusions. There is missing summary of positive aspects, I will add from my side:
- better power supply
- fixed transient function
- fixed variable latency
- DAC is measuring well
- now with a true NOS. No ringing (as in Holo Audio), it is sample&hold operation at fs (no oversampling)

Now quoting negative sides:
"To be honest, I’m more concerned about the phase difference between the channels, and the inter-sample overs being handled in the way they are. This simply should not happen, but hopefully can be fixed via a firmware update."

Good finding and I agree 100%. So far with linear interpolation Denafrips engineers were not exposed to a problem. Clipping was there, but linear interpolation do not create overs. Now it does, but library they use handle overflows incorrectly. Quality control sucks, but I am sure they will fix a bug with firmware update.

Phase difference could be a structural problem. Remember first Philips ladder CD players? A one shared ladder was a reason that output of one channel was delayed against the other by one clock cycle. Here it looks the same, but a shared resource is not a ladder, but in FPGA. Multiplexing seems performed at a fixed frequency 16fs, which is 705.6 or 768kHz. It is a reason why output of one channel is delayed. Taken from a graph delay is roughly 1 microsecond, that corresponds to 1MHz, which can be 7xxkHz considering reading error. One clock delay at 16fs. Isn't it logical?

It is also a reason for 7xxkHz trace on the FFT transform which Goldenone wrongly assigned to the fake NOS. Not at all. It is related to a delay described above. Can it be fixed? If a really a hardware resource limitation, then will be fixed only with Pontus 13th. However FPGA programming is complex, use abstraction layers, a real hardware structure is not revealed to the programmer. There is a chance for not a real hardware limitation, but wrong use of libraries. In the later case it can be fixed.

Good job revealing faults. Now Denafrips engineers have a reason to go back to a drawing board.

3. Teaching. As usual formulating theories and teaching fails in unexpected places.

Quote:
"When DACs oversample, they can sometimes encounter a situation where the reconstructed/interpolated waveform goes above 0dBfs (the maximum possible digital value). This is particularly common with poorly mastered music that has been ‘brickwalled’."

Not true. It has nothing to do with brick wall filtering. Inter-sample overs come out in result of oversampling and a subsequent reconstruction of the waveform. Not sure it is lack of knowledge, given Goldenone's obsession to prove that Pontus 12th is not true NOS. If oversampling, we would expect inter-sample overs in NOS mode as well, right? So lets mislead readers on this issue, just in case...

NOS issue is now depreciated. Good, but it was really a desperate attempt, giving an example of Holo Audio as a model for a real NOS machine (which is not), in the same time lying in other place that Audio Note DACs tests were made using high frequency scope. This is unfair. Scientific terminology is used "Zero Order Hold" (ZOH) instead of an usual sample&hold for the same reason as above. It even comes with creating a new term "emulated ZOH" and attributed to the Denafrips 12th. .LOL.

I asked Goldenone to explain where in his scientific literature he found such term, as I don't remember one. He refered to the prank tool, addon for Foobar 2000. This is where Goldenone takes knowledge from.

In summary, allegation of a fake Denafrips NOS (now called emulated ZOH) are unfolded. Putting in shame Denafrips for misleading customers is unfair and ridiculous. On the positive side, I am sure that discovery of evident faults will bring a positive effect in future. Thank you Goldenone for this, but I am not going to dispute over and over again on other issues. You made your story, I presented mine based on your measurements. If you find something new, you are welcome to present it anytime, but for a current state discussion is closed.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #1,389 of 1,840
It is also a reason for 7xxkHz trace on the FFT transform which Goldenone wrongly assigned to the fake NOS. Not at all. It is related to a delay described above.
It is not, an interchannel phase delay/offset such as this would not cause frequency domain filtering. The frequency domain content of one channel has nothing to do with what the other channel is doing unless there is crosstalk etc
"When DACs oversample, they can sometimes encounter a situation where the reconstructed/interpolated waveform goes above 0dBfs (the maximum possible digital value). This is particularly common with poorly mastered music that has been ‘brickwalled’."

Not true. It has nothing to do with brick wall filtering. Inter-sample overs come out in result of oversampling and a subsequent reconstruction of the waveform.
I do not mean brick wall reconstruction, I mean brick wall mastering/limiting (I've edited the post to make this clear). This is a common description given to many tracks in the age of 'loudness wars' as when viewing the waveform of songs particularly bad in this regard it looks like a brick wall:
loudness-brick-wall-image-200-opt.png

https://www.musicianonamission.com/brickwall-limiter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

This was brought up because tracks with proper headroom will rarely if ever have intersample overs, but tracks that have been 'brickwalled' or squashed in this fashion will typically have many more.

image-29.png

'Brick Wall' nyquist filters are a different thing that just happens to share the same name.

As to the rest of your post, I'll refer you to the first 129417635 times we had this conversation

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #1,391 of 1,840
marco it's not worth it.

and, yes, i would be one of those "scammed" into believing this were a nos dac.

Jan 9, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #1,392 of 1,840
I do not mean brick wall reconstruction, I mean brick wall mastering/limiting (I've edited the post to make this clear).
It is why your definition is defective. Bad science. Distortions can be recorded, then nothing can be done.

More frequently there is a case where recording do not have distortions. Here is a proof: a non-oversampling DAC do not exhibit clipping. This is because waveform reconstruction is made in the analogue domain. I can't claim poor recording when problem does not occur on my DAC, it would be ridiculous.

Clipping is in result of oversampling, so definition of inter-sample overs cover a case when problem occur. If you have different opinion, refer to the literature.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #1,393 of 1,840
Just received the Denafrips Pontus II 12th dac, initial impression NOS mode sounded warm analog, OS mode sounded neutral not as warm to my ears, loving the NOS mode. I am not a sound engineer. I am into music I rather have sound good dac than not sound as good dac with good measurement YMMV.

Attachments

• 2E0A5585-AD0B-4C2C-B9D7-32671C824DF6.jpeg
    2E0A5585-AD0B-4C2C-B9D7-32671C824DF6.jpeg
    354.6 KB · Views: 0
Jan 11, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #1,394 of 1,840
Hello,
I have a bit of a weird question - if you had to name it, which DAC in the sub 2K price gap would you say compares to the Pontus II?

I tried going through the whole thread, but I'll admit I got lost somewhere along the way... So, my story is this:

I got an Ares II about a month ago, heard those strange pops and clicks now and then and upgraded to the Pontus, hoping they would disappear. However they didn't entirely and now I'm kinda torn, cause the DAC sounds positively magnificent, running circles around all other DACs I've had, but still produces those minute sound imperfections that I am afraid might become a problem in the long run. So I thought about a similarly priced alternative that would at least get close to the Pontus.
Now, I know this is a Denafrips thread and my question is not exactly right, but I am using the Pontus as a reference point in my search. Is there such a beast that rivals, albeit without surpassing, the Pontus II without costing significantly more?

I have zero option to audition any other device, unfortunately, and I'm pressed about making a decision regarding the DAC soon, so any help or advice/opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jan 11, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #1,395 of 1,840
Hello,
I have a bit of a weird question - if you had to name it, which DAC in the sub 2K price gap would you say compares to the Pontus II?

I tried going through the whole thread, but I'll admit I got lost somewhere along the way... So, my story is this:

I got an Ares II about a month ago, heard those strange pops and clicks now and then and upgraded to the Pontus, hoping they would disappear. However they didn't entirely and now I'm kinda torn, cause the DAC sounds positively magnificent, running circles around all other DACs I've had, but still produces those minute sound imperfections that I am afraid might become a problem in the long run. So I thought about a similarly priced alternative that would at least get close to the Pontus.
Now, I know this is a Denafrips thread and my question is not exactly right, but I am using the Pontus as a reference point in my search. Is there such a beast that rivals, albeit without surpassing, the Pontus II without costing significantly more?

I have zero option to audition any other device, unfortunately, and I'm pressed about making a decision regarding the DAC soon, so any help or advice/opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Your problem isn't with the DAC. It's either your source or the cable(s) you have connected to the DAC. Can you describe your chain from beginning to end, please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back