Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Jun 28, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #331 of 1,804
This would imply noise reduction, which is always good :L3000:
Yes it is true, I'm also using an iPower X to power the X-SPDIF 2 ... So there is another free plug for ya, lol

Jun 28, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #332 of 1,804
I've been using my pontus through optical because I cannot seem to get the usb drivers to work, at first I thought it was just my particular PC but I can't seem to get them to work on my laptop either. I install them from the site and find the dac in device manager and select the newly installed drivers but it gives me a failure to start error. Does anyone have experience with this issue? I'll also give emailing denafrips a try.

Jun 28, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #333 of 1,804
I've been using my pontus through optical because I cannot seem to get the usb drivers to work, at first I thought it was just my particular PC but I can't seem to get them to work on my laptop either. I install them from the site and find the dac in device manager and select the newly installed drivers but it gives me a failure to start error. Does anyone have experience with this issue? I'll also give emailing denafrips a try.
Definitely email Alvin at vinshine

Jun 29, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #335 of 1,804
Gave him an email and sorted it out, USB is now working! :)

Edit: I don't know if it's burn in or what but USB is sounding a lot better than optical was, I'm even more amazed!
That's an interesting point as I made the same experience with Streamer Bluesound Node N130 and thought it's the Streamer, tried Coax and Optical, unfortunately the Streamer doesn't support USB out but from my iPhone / IPad / Shanling M8 DAP / Macbook Pro via USB the sound signature was clearer, more lush and mature in contrast to a tad too bright with emphasized upper mids through Optical / Coax...

Jun 29, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #336 of 1,804
Anyone using a (passive) switchable XLR splitter/hub yet after we learnt that only one output is allowed at the same time?
My scenario
1. DAC at desk to local amp at desk
2. DAC at desk to remote amp at sleeping couch

Example from German Amazon offer
Nobsound 1-IN-3-OUT XLR Audio Switch ; Balanced Audio Converter ; 3-Way Stereo Passive Audio Selector Switcher (MC103 Pro 3-Out) https://amazon.de/dp/B07R51XN2Q

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #337 of 1,804
Anyone using a (passive) switchable XLR splitter/hub yet after we learnt that only one output is allowed at the same time?
I have a couple of those exact units. Works pretty well for the money. I've noticed no issues with cross-talk between inputs etc., and its pretty convenient for just as you are describing, 1 DAC to multiple amps. Most recently on my secondary setup, Bifrost 2 xlr out into a One Little bear and then xlr out into a Jot 2 and the other xlr out into a Liquid Platinum. Not using any fancy cables either, just Worlds Best XLRs with Canare L-4E6S wire.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #340 of 1,804
I'm not sure it was as simple as unplugging the dac's power for 10 seconds and plugging it back in. I really should have thought of that myself!

I should chime in to clarify.

@Myshkin shared the screenshots of the winOS Device Manager with me, it appears that the DAC was in ‘Firmware Update' mode. It could be accidentally triggered by a set of buttons-push-combination.

To exit/cancel the 'Firmware Update' mode, simply power cycle the DAC.

Hope this helps :)

Jun 29, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #341 of 1,804
I'm not sure it was as simple as unplugging the dac's power for 10 seconds and plugging it back in. I really should have thought of that myself!
How does the Pontus sound with the flux labs fa-10? I’ve been looking at the fa-12 myself

Jun 29, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #342 of 1,804
How does the Pontus sound with the flux labs fa-10? I’ve been looking at the fa-12 myself
It sounds absolutely wonderful, everything is very spacious, detailed, and natural sounding. I am blown away by this combo every day I use it, it seems to be getting better each day with the dac burn in. I should note my fa-10 is modded with replaced caps that gives it more spaciousness and detail than stock.

Compared to the JDS labs dac I was using earlier this pairing seems like such a great match. The fa-10 and pontus compliment each other very well in my opinion.

Jun 30, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #344 of 1,804
I had quite a scare this morning! I went to listen to my setup with my coffee and notice a ton of popping noises while audio played. I thought maybe some equipment had gone faulty but luckily after restarting the USB driver for denafrips everything was back to normal :) Posting this in case this ever happens to anyone else.

Jun 30, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #345 of 1,804
I had quite a scare this morning! I went to listen to my setup with my coffee and notice a ton of popping noises while audio played. I thought maybe some equipment had gone faulty but luckily after restarting the USB driver for denafrips everything was back to normal :) Posting this in case this ever happens to anyone else.
Thank God I am on MacOS 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back