Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Jun 27, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #316 of 1,840
But this hdmi cable can be connected directly between the pontus and the emers or you need to make some changes
Yes it can. Alvin uses it himself. No changes necessary except an easy configuration that Alvin has published a video for…if you email him at vinshine he will send you links
The config is also laid out in the manual.

Jun 27, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #318 of 1,840
Jun 27, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #319 of 1,840
Thanks brother. I ll look into it. Hopefully they have it in shorter length. Since i only need about 1-2 feet because the Hermes will sit directly on top of the pontus.
Smallest is 1.5 meters. Here is how mine looks.. image.jpg

Jun 27, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #321 of 1,840
I was all hot and bothered for a Pontus II, even a Venus II perhaps, but now I am waffling and revisiting Yggy or Morpheus. I'll keep watching to see how the folks who've recently added the Pontus II are getting along. I am really impressed by the Denefrips tech from what I've read and watched. Just too bad you can't hear it in your chain first, lol

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #322 of 1,840
I was all hot and bothered for a Pontus II, even a Venus II perhaps, but now I am waffling and revisiting Yggy or Morpheus. I'll keep watching to see how the folks who've recently added the Pontus II are getting along. I am really impressed by the Denefrips tech from what I've read and watched. Just too bad you can't hear it in your chain first, lol
Comments from a friend that borrowed my Pontus to compare to his Yggy:
  • The Pontus communicates more tonal color. The Pontus is better at presenting all parts of the music with balance. The Pontus also presents with more reverb.
  • The Yggy is more emphatic in how it conveys pace. The Pontus seems more realistic in its pace.
  • The Pontus sounds more relaxed and laid back in its presentation.

I've heard his Yggy as well though not a head-to-head comparison with the Pontus. I think his Yggy sounds quite good. FWIW, he listens to a lot of 80's rock and so decided to stay with his Yggy as it seems to convey the rhythms of that music with more force.

I listen to a lot of acoustic music (Classical, Jazz, Vocals) and think that the Pontus is probably the better choice for me between the two with more tonal color, reverb, air and presence in its presentation.

Also, my friend tends to listen for only 20-30 minutes at a time due to family obligations. I'm often listening for 2-3 hours at a stretch so listening fatigue is more of an issue for me. The Pontus exhibits no digital glare or harshness at all for me.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #323 of 1,840
Just to repeat as this might have been overseen: there's no listening fatigue using usb connections on my Pontus II for me even on my "non Audiophile" A90 😉

Jun 28, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #324 of 1,840
As for the class A amp I am on the jump ordering an Ifi Pro Ican, that should suffice I'd say 😉

Great stuff, thanks a lot! Once you have it, please let us know whether it meets your expectations :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 28, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #326 of 1,840
It is more relaxed today and less bright, high frequencies are now less aggressive and fatiguing to listen to....

I talk to the 1st owner he told me I am basically giving real use as it had less than a few days of use, I guess it needs burn-in as my ears doesn't lie, I keep thinking the Pontus II is a great device and the best DAC I've ever owned

Now I've purchased a couple of Mogami's 2549 RCAs and 2 Furukawa power cords for both the DAC/AMP and I'm also looking closely at Flux Labs FA-10 maybe.....

If you own the Pontus II and never felt that brightness and harhsness you're so lucky haha

Jun 28, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #327 of 1,840
What differences did you find in using the Hermes attached to the Pontus II
Well I have the Iris not the Hermès. I almost got the Hermès but thought it may be overkill for my application. The Iris tightened up the sound signature (PRaT) and made a darker background with zero audible noise. I am anxious to try a gaiai with a terminator plus to sync the clocks, I bet the PRaT there is amazing! But out of my budget! If I had a serious two channel system, I would maybe save up and indulge. But I think the ddc’s are def a great investment

Jun 28, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #328 of 1,840
Comments from a friend that borrowed my Pontus to compare to his Yggy:
  • The Pontus communicates more tonal color. The Pontus is better at presenting all parts of the music with balance. The Pontus also presents with more reverb.
  • The Yggy is more emphatic in how it conveys pace. The Pontus seems more realistic in its pace.
  • The Pontus sounds more relaxed and laid back in its presentation.

I've heard his Yggy as well though not a head-to-head comparison with the Pontus. I think his Yggy sounds quite good. FWIW, he listens to a lot of 80's rock and so decided to stay with his Yggy as it seems to convey the rhythms of that music with more force.

I listen to a lot of acoustic music (Classical, Jazz, Vocals) and think that the Pontus is probably the better choice for me between the two with more tonal color, reverb, air and presence in its presentation.

Also, my friend tends to listen for only 20-30 minutes at a time due to family obligations. I'm often listening for 2-3 hours at a stretch so listening fatigue is more of an issue for me. The Pontus exhibits no digital glare or harshness at all for me.
Thanks this! I appreciated the added info regarding genre types listened to.

Jun 28, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #329 of 1,840
But I think the ddc’s are def a great investment
This has been my experience also. The observations you had about tightening up the sound signature and the darker background were noticeable, and not just perception after injecting a DDC into the signal path. Everyone hears differently though and we don't all have the same components in the chain, or use the same interconnects/cables. This makes it tough to say it's for everyone, but it is safe to say it's worth trying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back