Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Oct 23, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #77 of 1,800
Hi
I have set up my new Pontus Dac, but I have a issue when playing DSD/DSF files. The DSD LED never comes on, the file plays and if it's DSD 128 the X2 LED is on, DSD 256 X4 LED is on etc and the OS/NOS LED turns off if switched on as it should when playing DSD files. The 44K LED is on but not the DSD LED as I understand it should, I get the same results if I do DSD via DOP through the coax.
I have tried the different versions of the USB driver but it makes no difference, if I set up my old DAC the correct file type is displayed on it and play correctly.
I have tried J River and FooBar and the same thing happens, just wondered if I was doing something stupid before I chase up Vinshine Audio.
Cheers
abickers

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #78 of 1,800
Hi
I have set up my new Pontus Dac, but I have a issue when playing DSD/DSF files. The DSD LED never comes on
I have the same issue, if you hear back from Vinshine Audio please share.

Nov 12, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #79 of 1,800
Hey guys,

These are the screenshot of setting up the Jriver to play DSD with DENAFRIPS DAC (Windows, Thesycon Driver)

1. Jriver set to use ASIO driver
image (35).png

2. Bitstreaming set to DSD
image (36).png

3. DSD Playback screenshot
image (37).png

Hope this helps!

Nov 12, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #80 of 1,800
Hey guys,

These are the screenshot of setting up the Jriver to play DSD with DENAFRIPS DAC (Windows, Thesycon Driver)
Thanks, that's good for Windows PCs.... any idea what can be done with a Mac that does not use drivers?

Nov 12, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #81 of 1,800
Most welcome.

For Mac, we have a guide for roon: https://www.denafrips.com/mac-os
The key point is to set the software to use the USB DAC in 'Exclusive Mode'. I have not tried Jriver on Mac, perhaps i should :)

Nov 13, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #82 of 1,800
Hi
Yes, it had a dead DSD LED, Alvin from Vineshine sent out a new front panel which I have installed and all is well.
It was the 44K LED staying on when playing DSD files that threw me. I know that DSD base sample frequency is 44.1k X 64 = 2.8MHz but I would have expected just the DSD and multiplier LED to be on.
As for the sound of the Pontus, it is a big improvement on the built in dac's of the Lyngdorf amps I am using, even though the signal is going through another A/D conversion.
Cheers
abickers

Nov 13, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #83 of 1,800
Most welcome.

For Mac, we have a guide for roon: https://www.denafrips.com/mac-os
The key point is to set the software to use the USB DAC in 'Exclusive Mode'. I have not tried Jriver on Mac, perhaps i should :)
Thanks for your help.
One last question.... I am using the optical input for the Pontus - I find it better than the USB - would the DSD work with Optical?

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #85 of 1,800
Thanks for your help.
One last question.... I am using the optical input for the Pontus - I find it better than the USB - would the DSD work with Optical?

Optical input of DENAFRIPS DAC supports DoP DSD64.

Are you using a computer or a dedicated streamer as the source?
If it's a computer, you may consider Iris DDC for betterment of music reproduction.

Iris.png

Nov 21, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #86 of 1,800
Optical input of DENAFRIPS DAC supports DoP DSD64.

Are you using a computer or a dedicated streamer as the source?
If it's a computer, you may consider Iris DDC for betterment of music reproduction.

Can't say I've ever used a DDC before, what are the benefits of one if I'm running it from PC and lets say just stream music from Tidal? is there any benefit. I have a Pontus & ZMF Pendant tube amp hooked up to my PC.

Dec 3, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #87 of 1,800
Hi
I am trying to get a Singxer SU-1 and the Pontus working together over i2s, I have set up both to PS Audio's HDMI pin outs. Both detect and display PCM, DSD correctly and PCM seems to be playing as it should but what ever I do DSD sounds totally wrong, out of phase, no focus, etc. When I stop playing a DSD file I get a not very nice noise coming out until I play a PCM file again. I have checked correct firmware, dip switches on the Singxer and config of i2s on the Pontus as best I can, but some information is a bit vague.
I know that there may be no benefit to using a DDC on the Pontus due to the quality the USB input and that it is going to a i2s conversion anyway, but wanted to give it a try.
Anyone got these two working together correctly.
Cheers
abickers

Dec 3, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #88 of 1,800
Hi
I am trying to get a Singxer SU-1 and the Pontus working together over i2s, I have set up both to PS Audio's HDMI pin outs. Both detect and display PCM, DSD correctly and PCM seems to be playing as it should but what ever I do DSD sounds totally wrong, out of phase, no focus, etc. When I stop playing a DSD file I get a not very nice noise coming out until I play a PCM file again. I have checked correct firmware, dip switches on the Singxer and config of i2s on the Pontus as best I can, but some information is a bit vague.
I know that there may be no benefit to using a DDC on the Pontus due to the quality the USB input and that it is going to a i2s conversion anyway, but wanted to give it a try.
Anyone got these two working together correctly.
Cheers
abickers
There is problem with I2S DSD compatibility. DSD is played on separate pairs of HDMI cable and there are different standards, even to the electrical voltage logic levels. In Audio GD DI-20 it says PS audio compatible, but there are two different options for DSD in this mode. Is there any settings on both sides regarding synchronous vs asynchronous mode? Synchronous require word clock signal to be present.

Post screenshots on both sides for review, maybe something is missing.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #90 of 1,800
@abickers. Are these photos of a Pontus dip switch? If true, you need to set Dip switch 1 ON. It is opening path for the Singxer's DSD ON signal on HDMI pin 13. I am attaching Singxer layout (not verified, taken from Internet).

If doesn't help, also try a different position of switch 5.
singxer.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back