Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Dec 3, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #1,621 of 1,845
Do you use these? Never tried anything but Nordost and wireworld 🙈 except stock power that came with the moon amp.

Dec 3, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #1,622 of 1,845
Has anyone checked and compared RCA and XLR connections? After changing the amplifier I will be able to use xlr. I've never used this connection before, and I'd have to buy new cables, etc.
Is it worth making a revolution in cables?
What could change, except that it will be louder?
Is it worth it to think about it?

Dec 3, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #1,623 of 1,845
I have compared them today. And the xlr to my ears have more gain like you said. I also feel xlr is a bit more transparent in a way and the rca is a tiny bit smoother. Not huge differences

Dec 3, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #1,624 of 1,845
I've run my XLR against a pair of Tara Labs Omega RCAs a friend lent me. Both from my Pontus II (at the time) to my Woo Audio WA5-LE. Barely a discernable difference.

Dec 4, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #1,625 of 1,845
Just trying to gauge the digital output of choice from folks who have Hermes (or any DDC) to connect to their Pontus (or any DAC) with. I have tried Coaxial, Optical, and i2s and have found i2s to sound the best to my ears, the most technical and engaging sound. However, lately I have been messing around with the AES/EBU connection and I must say it rivals the i2s. So I am curious how many folks prefer the AES/EBU over the i2s.

To further my curiosity, I bought two AES/EBU cables to tryout the dual input capability of the Pontus2 from Hermes 12th. But somehow the music is not playing correctly, both channels on my headphone seems to be playing the right channel audio signal only. Anyone else having same issue and was able to resolve it?

Dec 7, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #1,626 of 1,845
So in your opinion the Denafrips Pontus ($1600) shipped is equal to or better than Holo Spring Level 3 Kitsune ($2600)? This is what you are implying with your deuce statement correct? This is very encouraging to hear from someone else who has listened to these dacs. I posted on my thread asking about the Denafrips line and was going to purchase a Holo Spring Level 3 but was discouraged from it when I tried to contact Kitsune to ask questions about a week ago and they never replied. I tried again without effect. Made me question what the customer service would be like if I had an issue after dropping $2600 on one of their units plus a Singxer? Not worth the risk in my opinion if they can't even have the decency to answer question about hardware they sell to a perspective buyer. So I contact Vinshineaudio to inquire about their Denafrips dac line and get an immediate response to all my questions from Alvin Chee. I explained to him the dacs that I am considering and he states that (in his opinion so taken with a grain of salt) the Denafrips Pontus is equal to or greater than the Holo Spring Level 3 dac and the Venus is steps above. To read confirmation from someone outside of the company that makes and sells the units that this is their experience with said dac is very encouraging! Then the level of customer service I have received and read about from Alvin thus far makes this purchase decision easier. It looks like I will be purchasing the Pontus or the Venus!
lol, I have the same experience as you with Kitsune (with Tim Connor) and Vinshine (with Alvin) in 11/2023, so I bought a higher model Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1 (I already owned the Denafrips Ares II 12th and Iris 12th a few months earlier).

I've also read from some reviewers that a Denafrips Pontus + Denafrips Iris ddc sound as good as a Kitsune, with the Denafrips more detailed whereas the Kitsune is warmer.

My setup:
After I upgraded my theater/music room's 2 front L/R speakers to GoldenEar BRX with the awesome AMT ribbon tweeter, these tweeters are soo revealing and realistic (gave me goosebumps) that it got me to upgrade the weaker links in my chain:
- Added a 3rd GoldenEar BRX as my center channel speaker.
- Added a DDC from Denafrips Iris 12th which improved the sound for my already great Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1 (a DAC with R2R technology for 3D live/realism)
- Eversolo DMP-A6 streamer with native Apple Music for hi-res lossless and ripping my CDs to it.
- Added 2 sealed subwoofers (crossover at 40 Hz) beside the L and R bookshelf speakers to play music full range.
- Added a 3rd and 4th sealed subwoofer via LFE for movies (7.4.4 setup).
- Added 2 Parasound 2125v2 stereo amps (using just 1 channel of each amp, no bridging) each powering just the front left or right speaker to eliminate crosstalk (which mimics a 2 monoblock amps configuration).
- Added an external preamplifier (Parasound 2100) to make music sound even better than the already great Eversolo DMP-A6's volume knob.

source=Apple Music (hi-res lossless, and spatial audio surround music)

Dec 11, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #1,627 of 1,845
Anyone tried the Gotham power cable Alvin recommend ? How does it sound ?

Dec 20, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #1,628 of 1,845
Hello guys,

I'm losing the connection from my Pontus 2 when I'm rebooting my iMac, and I have to power it off and on again to make it work.
Has anybody had the same problem as me and found a solution?

I've bought an Iris, and it's the same problem.

I've upgraded the USB and DAC firmware to the latest, and I tried 2 different USB cables.

Thank you,

A.

IMG_0249.jpeg

IMG_0250.jpeg

Dec 20, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #1,629 of 1,845
Hello guys,

I'm losing the connection from my Pontus 2 when I'm rebooting my iMac, and I have to power it off and on again to make it work.

I've bought an Iris, and it's the same problem.

I've upgraded the USB and DAC firmware to the latest, and I tried 2 different USB cables.

Thank you,

A.

IMG_0249.jpeg

IMG_0250.jpeg
It happens to me using my blue sound node
every once in a while

Dec 20, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #1,634 of 1,845

I've bought an Iris, and it's the same problem
Did you try USB 2.0 hub? I mean 2.0, not 3.x.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back