DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Apr 3, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #1,111 of 1,124
My Terminator II firmware issue (latest firmware level) isn't resolved yet (since Juin 2023) !
Only reply got about new firmware availability : "Not available yet" .... (some I2S issues should be resolved into next firmware like the one I have)
I hope they fix it asap @alvin1118 !

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #1,112 of 1,124
The Denafrips firmware group provided the link to the FUT and FPGA firmware versions. Rolling back to v1.0 on the Enyo was successful, and so far I am enjoying this sound signature more: I tend to prefer velvet and mellow sounds over refinement, though not to isolate these as core differences between v1.0 vs v1.3. v1.3 revealed more detail in my system, and sometimes those details were portrayed a bit too bright and at other times it sounded more intimate.

Mac Mini - USB - Denafrips Enyo - Creek Audio Destiny - Wharfedale Diamond 10.7
Your perception of key differences between original and new Denafrips sound signature seems to match most others.
One thing to consider might be the type of USB feed into the DAC -- unfortunately Denafrips DACs are not bullet proof regarding noise and jitter on the USB input.
Read: Maybe try out a dedicated streamer as next step... ones with USB out that is. But -- enjoy the sound, for now!

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #1,113 of 1,124
Your perception of key differences between original and new Denafrips sound signature seems to match most others.
One thing to consider might be the type of USB feed into the DAC -- unfortunately Denafrips DACs are not bullet proof regarding noise and jitter on the USB input.
Read: Maybe try out a dedicated streamer as next step... ones with USB out that is. But -- enjoy the sound, for now!
I try to minimize the audio chain in my system, but also experienced the same perceptions via toslink.

Apr 4, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #1,115 of 1,124
Hi all

I have just recently acquired a second hand Venus 2. It was new in 2021. Is there a way to find out if it has had a firmware update?

And how may Venus updates have there been up until now?

Thanks
Once you install the Denafrips USB audio device control panel it will show the version. I believe there was three versions but I'm not sure 1.0 is the original.

Apr 4, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #1,116 of 1,124
Once you install the Denafrips USB audio device control panel it will show the version. I believe there was three versions but I'm not sure 1.0 is the original.
Thanks for you reply. My system is streamer based, and I'm really not good with computer tech :grimacing: ......If I plug the USB cable from the Venus into my laptop will I get the info I need? Thanks

Apr 4, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #1,117 of 1,124
Thanks for you reply. My system is streamer based, and I'm really not good with computer tech :grimacing: ......If I plug the USB cable from the Venus into my laptop will I get the info I need? Thanks
Go here, https://www.denafrips.com/support and download the Thesycon usb driver for windows and you should be good.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #1,122 of 1,124
Yes, to be clear there are 2 different firmware for these devices, one for USB MCU and one for all and it will update the USB MCU at the same time. 1.8 is the latest for the Ares but it may not the same for the Venus.

Apr 14, 2024 at 11:23 PM Post #1,123 of 1,124
My Terminator II firmware issue (latest firmware level) isn't resolved yet (since Juin 2023) !
Only reply got about new firmware availability : "Not available yet" .... (some I2S issues should be resolved into next firmware like the one I have)
I had DDC-I2S issue after updating firmware for my T-Plus and was told the problem was due to old (2-year old?) DDC (Iris), no firmware fix was planned by Denafrips. I ended up buying a new version (12th) of Iris, everything has been working perfectly and the combo sounds great now.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #1,124 of 1,124
Don't write confusing information here, my problem is with a metronome DSS streamer.
V1 on the terminator has correct DSD recognition when changing from a PCM track to a DSF64 track.
V3.7 didn't work and needs manual entry switch or power off/on the terminator to have the DSD input stream recognized (PCM to DSD error while DSD to PCM is ok)
And yes, they already resolved this issue under development (futur terminator firmware in the pipe) and waiting on it's availability as soon it could pass all they functionnal tests and listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back